What did we learn? Illinois

Red Five

25 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Not sure what games you've been watching, but this game looked extremely familiar to Frost-coached games. It's getting a bit sad and weird to suggest how much more badly they would have been beaten under Frost than Joseph. 

Nebraska was penalized plenty in a really shoddy game against Rutgers, and while they had only modest penalties yesterday they made up for it in turnovers.

If not giving up against good teams is the yardstick, then Scott Frost's 2021 season was a triumph. 

You and I are in alignment.  I don’t get why people think that the play under Mickey being marginally better than Frost is cause for Mickey getting the full time coach. 

• Plus1 2

Doesn’t mater how good of a coach you are you can’t scheme around the play of this offensive line the defensive line played better but still not good enough they should be able to sell immediate playing time across both lines in the portal and high school seniors I think you give Mickey a couple years to see if he can make it happen no more five year contracts until they prove they are worthy  

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1
27 minutes ago, Display name said:

Doesn’t mater how good of a coach you are you can’t scheme around the play of this offensive line the defensive line played better but still not good enough they should be able to sell immediate playing time across both lines in the portal and high school seniors I think you give Mickey a couple years to see if he can make it happen no more five year contracts until they prove they are worthy  

Not sure if you are serious but you have to give head coaches at least 4-5 year contracts or it will be used against them by other coaches on the recruiting trail. 

22 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Not sure if you are serious but you have to give head coaches at least 4-5 year contracts or it will be used against them by other coaches on the recruiting trail. 

You can give them 4 year contracts and still only give them 2 years with the portal that’s all the time you need to get things moving in the right direction 

• Plus1 1

20 minutes ago, Display name said:

You can give them 4 year contracts and still only give them 2 years with the portal that’s all the time you need to get things moving in the right direction 

Define get things moving in the right direction. That seems to be the issue the divides the fans and former players and media.  The eye test?  The wins vs losses test?   What is the pass or fail measure?

Year 1

Year 2

Year 3

Year 4

Year 5

9 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

That’s still taking a cheap route and losing out on potential candidates. NU can’t go cheap with this hire. 

We don’t need to start over I don’t think any way we lost to a top 20 team with the number 1 def in the country while playing a back up Qb and it wasn’t a blow out we went three and out how many times in a row after Casey got hurt no defense can hold up to that  and Casey would be so much better with a offensive line I mean it’s amazing we were ahead at one point with the worst offensive line in the country with a few upgrades in the coaching staff like coach O on the defense and a few others I think they could turn it around pretty quick we have good skill players just need some dudes in the trenches 

9 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Define get things moving in the right direction. That seems to be the issue the divides the fans and former players and media.  The eye test?  The wins vs losses test?   What is the pass or fail measure?

Year 1

Year 2

Year 3

Year 4

Year 5

First year bowl game second year bowl game if not they need to go if they do that then they get more time 

Just now, Display name said:

First year bowl game second year bowl game if not they need to go if they do that then they get more time 

If they keep Mickey 

3 minutes ago, Display name said:

We don’t need to start over I don’t think any way we lost to a top 20 team with the number 1 def in the country while playing a back up Qb and it wasn’t a blow out we went three and out how many times in a row after Casey got hurt no defense can hold up to that  and Casey would be so much better with a offensive line I mean it’s amazing we were ahead at one point with the worst offensive line in the country with a few upgrades in the coaching staff like coach O on the defense and a few others I think they could turn it around pretty quick we have good skill players just need some dudes in the trenches 

The team is absolutely terrible.

Whipple deserves the most blame for the loss of anyone although there's plenty to go around to different parties. He refuses to make the game easier for his players, or to even entertain the idea of establishing the run (which we were having success with in the half dozen times he reluctantly agreed you can't throw it deep on EVERY play).

The way to win against a team like Illinois when you're outmanned is score early, get one stop and one more score and force them to be behind schedule. We had that opportunity, but Whip scheming 'too smart' and Casey not playing smart enough made it impossible.