Minnesota Week Pressers

Mavric

Not gonna dogpile on the Whip comment.  

Bottom line:

Bunch was a better QB than Purdy has been.

I'd take Smothers as the primary backup every day of the week.

Hoping CT is healthy and cleared to play this Saturday (it is very possible with him passing the protocols).  As we have seen, he gives us the best chance.  Minnesota is good, but not that good. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Red Five said:

I like how it all comes out from Whip that Purdy didn't practice 2 days last week.  Mickey had 2 chances to mention that (after the game and yesterday) and didn't.  I wonder what the reasons for not mentioning it?  Is it just that football coaches guard every detail like nuclear codes?

They made an in game decision that didn't work out. When Frost would mention this after games where a player (Martinez) didn't perform, all you guys would say was "Oh my god he doesn't take accountability. All we hear is excuses... blah blah blah." The decision was made, saying anything about the player being hurt doesn't change that decision, so why mention it. All it does is lead to second guessing and conversations like this. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

With Casey Thompson, we had 1% chance of winning. Without Thompson, we have 100% chance of losing. Mo Ibrahim will run through our Swiss cheese defense and have 250 yards by third quarter when Minnie puts game away. This team has zero swagger or passion for husker football. If Mickey says we have empty cupboards left by master of disaster Frost, imagine how frustrated he has to be to admit that. Frankly, the product on the field confirms that. Northwestern’s only win came against us. That should tell you the marvelous job Frost did in 4.5 years. Ironically, he really thought we were just about to turn a corner. I wonder what corner he was talking about? May be a corner right into a freight train. 

9 hours ago, huskerfan74 said:

With Casey Thompson, we had 1% chance of winning. Without Thompson, we have 100% chance of losing. Mo Ibrahim will run through our Swiss cheese defense and have 250 yards by third quarter when Minnie puts game away. This team has zero swagger or passion for husker football. If Mickey says we have empty cupboards left by master of disaster Frost, imagine how frustrated he has to be to admit that. Frankly, the product on the field confirms that. Northwestern’s only win came against us. That should tell you the marvelous job Frost did in 4.5 years. Ironically, he really thought we were just about to turn a corner. I wonder what corner he was talking about? May be a corner right into a freight train. 

Ummmm, did you watch last game? We contained Chase Brown for a lot of the game. He didn’t even get 150 on us. And that was considering that the D was on the field for practically the whole game, all wore down and still preventing the big runs.

• Plus1 1

Random theory and trying to connect some dots...

Any thought that Smothers might have gotten injured in his 3 plays in the 1st half?  And we were forced to go with Chubba in 2nd half because he was the healthier of the two?  I mean the whole "needed to pass in the 2nd half" excuse gets blown out of the water since we were only down 11 at half.

Whipple commented on multiple QB injuries ("when it rains it pours") and he doesn't know who #3 is this week.  He was being pretty coy about it.  Could it be that Smothers is also dinged, but they don't want to say so because they want Minnesota to spend time preparing for the QB run game that won't happen.

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Random theory and trying to connect some dots...

Any thought that Smothers might have gotten injured in his 3 plays in the 1st half?  And we were forced to go with Chubba in 2nd half because he was the healthier of the two?  I mean the whole "needed to pass in the 2nd half" excuse gets blown out of the water since we were only down 11 at half.

Whipple commented on multiple QB injuries ("when it rains it pours") and he doesn't know who #3 is this week.  He was being pretty coy about it.  Could it be that Smothers is also dinged, but they don't want to say so because they want Minnesota to spend time preparing for the QB run game that won't happen.

I'm sure it's possible.

But it has been reported for awhile now that Mickey likes Smothers and Whipple likes Purdy.  Apparently Mickely even told the sideline reporter going into halftime that it would be Smothers in the second half, which would seem to eliminate the injury theory.

It seems more likely to me that Whipple just doesn't like Smothers and insisted on throwing Purdy out there.

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I'm sure it's possible.

But it has been reported for awhile now that Mickey likes Smothers and Whipple likes Purdy.  Apparently Mickely even told the sideline reporter going into halftime that it would be Smothers in the second half, which would seem to eliminate the injury theory.

It seems more likely to me that Whipple just doesn't like Smothers and insisted on throwing Purdy out there.

Not sure how that played out.  I was at the game, so didn't see any halftime interview.  But, searching twitter at halftime, I saw that Purdy was going to be the QB in the second half.

Just now, Mavric said:

Apparently Mickely even told the sideline reporter going into halftime that it would be Smothers in the second half, which would seem to eliminate the injury theory.

Maybe he didn't know about the Smothers injury when coming off the field?

I don't know.  I am just trying to make sense of playing a guy that missed 2 days of practice.  But maybe its the simplest explanation is right - Whipple like Chubba, Mickey like Smothers, and Mickey didn't overrule him.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Not sure how that played out.  I was at the game, so didn't see any halftime interview.  But, searching twitter at halftime, I saw that Purdy was going to be the QB in the second half.

I could be wrong, but I thought Mickey told the NU radio guy coming off it was going to be Smothers in the 2nd half.

I just went back to the TV broadcast to see if I could notice any injury to Smothers.  And I did not.

After halftime when Chubba came in they went to the ABC sideline reporter and he is the one who said that Mickey told him while walking off the field at half it was going to be Smothers in the 2nd half.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1