Stadium Environment

HANC

At the game Saturday, the regular season ticket holders behind me didn't show, and apparently sold their tickets to a couple of young guys (college age).  They had definitely been tailgating (as I was too).  The smell of booze and weed was obvious.  The one kid was extremely obnoxious and everything he yelled was profanity laced.  Now, I am not judging, bc that was probably a snapshot of me during my college days minus the weed.  The thing was, his football IQ was spot on.  I actually agreed with most of his assessment.

This brings me to a question.  During time outs, commercial breaks, etc..... he became enraged every time we brought someone or a group onto the field to recognize or honor them.  He yelled stuff like.....'Oh yes, this is Nebraska were everyone is family.  Let's honor everyone and be nice...."  He wanted the stadium to pump up the music and get the crowd into the game ....he kept saying " I bet the team is really fired up now"....

I have had seats since 1992 and really hadn't much attention over the years.  I know the place can be absolutely electric if the product on the field is producing.  As I stated, he was young and maybe he hasn't experience that before.  As the game went on, and I began wondering what Raiola and Hughley were thinking about the atmosphere ,I almost starting buying into his philosophy.  Each delay just "hushes" the crowd, even if things are going well, which didn't happen Saturday. 

I absolutely 100000% love honoring the veteran, and football scholarships , but wondering if anyone else thinks that the atmosphere could be enhance without so many delays?

Remember, I am on the fence.  The product on the field has a ton to do with it, and we are lucky the fans are even still showing up..... I am just asking for the drunk, high, foul mouthed, kid behind me. 

• Plus1 4

That's interesting.  I don't know but usually the crowd sounds quiet on TV, and you can see a lot of fans just sitting or standing watching every move in silence.  The rowdiness is normally the shots of the student section wearing the overhauls that the duke rowdie kids do at basketball games.  And even then, they don't look to fired up.  

9 minutes ago, HANC said:

At the game Saturday, the regular season ticket holders behind me didn't show, and apparently sold their tickets to a couple of young guys (college age).  They had definitely been tailgating (as I was too).  The smell of booze and weed was obvious.  The one kid was extremely obnoxious and everything he yelled was profanity laced.  Now, I am not judging, bc that was probably a snapshot of me during my college days minus the weed.  The thing was, his football IQ was spot on.  I actually agreed with most of his assessment.

This brings me to a question.  During time outs, commercial breaks, etc..... he became enraged every time we brought someone or a group onto the field to recognize or honor them.  He yelled stuff like.....'Oh yes, this is Nebraska were everyone is family.  Let's honor everyone and be nice...."  He wanted the stadium to pump up the music and get the crowd into the game ....he kept saying " I bet the team is really fired up now"....

I have had seats since 1992 and really hadn't much attention over the years.  I know the place can be absolutely electric if the product on the field is producing.  As I stated, he was young and maybe he hasn't experience that before.  As the game went on, and I began wondering what Raiola and Hughley were thinking about the atmosphere ,I almost starting buying into his philosophy.  Each delay just "hushes" the crowd, even if things are going well, which didn't happen Saturday. 

I absolutely 100000% love honoring the veteran, and football scholarships , but wondering if anyone else thinks that the atmosphere could be enhance without so many delays?

Remember, I am on the fence.  The product on the field has a ton to do with it, and we are lucky the fans are even still showing up..... I am just asking for the drunk, high, foul mouthed, kid behind me. 

Most of this stuff happens during TV timeouts, which UNL doesn't control. They have to fill that time with something.

I get that those delays are way too long. It's part of the reason I haven't been back to a game since the pandemic. But those guys behind you sound obnoxious. 

It's not the same.  The losses and the whole downturn in the program have very gradually taken their toll.  We've been going since the late 60s and have seen many ups and downs, but this down looks like a long term trend which began not that long ago come to think of it. 

Heck I never did like the whole "make noise!" thing in blinking lights as if we have to be told.. but now when I see that it looks like a futile effort to get more people involved. 

Not the Nebraska Husker Football Stadium Experience of the late 80s and through the 90s and early 2000s. 

I wonder if it can come back to that. 

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Most of this stuff happens during TV timeouts, which UNL doesn't control. They have to fill that time with something.

I get that those delays are way too long. It's part of the reason I haven't been back to a game since the pandemic. But those guys behind you sound obnoxious. 

They were pretty bad.  Thank goodness, the quiet one of the two drug his friend out after the first qtr.  I agree on tv timeouts. They drain a crowd.

6 minutes ago, Hagg said:

It's not the same.  The losses and the whole downturn in the program have very gradually taken their toll.  We've been going since the late 60s and have seen many ups and downs, but this down looks like a long term trend which began not that long ago come to think of it. 

Heck I never did like the whole "make noise!" thing in blinking lights as if we have to be told.. but now when I see that it looks like a futile effort to get more people involved. 

Not the Nebraska Husker Football Stadium Experience of the late 80s and through the 90s and early 2000s. 

The crowd reflects the product on the field. If they were playing even competent football most of the time, the crowd would be into the whole thing, even through the long TV timeouts.

There's been a huge erosion of trust from Husker fans these past few years, and it's entirely justified. 

• Plus1 4
  • TBH 1
6 minutes ago, Hagg said:

I agree with this sentiment..... my only question would be, does today's "generation" need more technology, lights, music, etc.... than we did back in the day??? Not an indictment, but a question.  As a teacher and coach, I can definitely see a change in learning styles, excitement level, etc.. The entire society, not just youth, but even I zone out when we are continually recognizing a swimmer from 1970, or associate desk clerk for 30 years of service rather than dancing to some type of energetic music.  ( nothing against swimmers or clerks, just needed an example)

13 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Plus, many of those items covered during breaks in the action are basically paid promotion by one group or another, even the appreciation of a military member.  It's just a live form of a commercial break.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1

2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Ha...funny you mention that!  The "honoring" thing is nice but it gets a bit old.

Stadium was pretty packed though and the crowd was into it.

We left around halftime to go watch at the Railyard which was totally packed.

Any honoring of a military veteran or someone currently in service is great, and they should be applauded for their service.  But, all of that is paid for by the US Military as a form of recruitment.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Any honoring of a military veteran or someone currently in service is great, and they should be applauded for their service.  But, all of that is paid for by the US Military as a form of recruitment.

I like when they honor some dude/girl that played for NU like 100 years ago...and they have her/his great grandkid stand there!  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

The game isn't being held up by those honors/recognitions; they occur during media timeouts. So getting rid of them 

39 minutes ago, HANC said:

Sounds like that kid was just being a d!ckhe@d. All those honors and recognitions do not delay the game, they occur during media timeouts, so UNL wisely fills the time with things that are good for the university and community. IMO, those little ceremonies are better for atmosphere than the frequent ads, but of course those bring in $$$.

If they do away with the ceremonies and fill the time with music, would that actually improve the atmosphere? They already play dozens of snippets of pump-up music, and trade off between blasting over the speakers and letting the band play the fight songs.

I took my 13 year old son to the Georgia Southern game. He is only a casual fan and had never been to a game before. I was in school from 97-2001 so I know what Memorial is like when it is rocking, and I was afraid after the Northwestern loss that the crowd would be deflated for the game. However, the atmosphere was still excellent. The writing was on the wall for Frost's firing, the product on the field was crap, and the ads and mini-ceremonies were frequent (sometimes they were cool, sometimes they were annoying). But the crowd was still loud, and between the band, the fireworks, lightshow, music, and everything else, we had a fantastic time despite the loss. The athletic department still puts on a pretty good event every week even if the team falls on their face. 

Atmosphere is fine, we just need to win more. And the people who are honored on the field throughout the game usually deserve the honor; those are often priceless moments.

• Plus1 1