Stadium Environment

HANC

It's better than the coliseum (USC) or the Rose Bowl (UCLA).

There is A TON of literal sitting around during T.V. breaks at these stadiums (I live in LA, and have been to both); and these stadiums typically don't draw the same crowds unless Oregon, Utah, Notre Dame (big names) are in town.

UCLA is interesting because the Rose Bowl is NOWHERE NEAR the actual campus. This takes a major toll on their attendance.

I wonder how they will fare in B1G, in terms of attendance.

I am ecstatic about the move, as Nebraska will come to LA WAAAAY more often, now, and I hope this opens up West-Coast recruiting for Nebraska (perhaps a new thread)

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, Spacer said:

It's better than the coliseum (USC) or the Rose Bowl (UCLA).

There is A TON of literal sitting around during T.V. breaks at these stadiums (I live in LA, and have been to both); and these stadiums typically don't draw the same crowds unless Oregon, Utah, Notre Dame (big names) are in town.

UCLA is interesting because the Rose Bowl is NOWHERE NEAR the actual campus. This takes a major toll on their attendance.

I wonder how they will fare in B1G, in terms of attendance.

I am ecstatic about the move, as Nebraska will come to LA WAAAAY more often, now, and I hope this opens up West-Coast recruiting for Nebraska (perhaps a new thread)

I am sure a lot of Big Ten fans of opposing teams will use USC and UCLA games as an excuse to go to LA, at least every few years.

• Plus1 1

pretty hard to get into games when the product itself is simply not enjoyable.  Like, if we were even 6-6/7-5 the past few years the games would have so much more meaning and naturally more moments would exist to not only raise the fans reaction but consistently keep them engaged.

having been at the michigan game last year, the vibe was great. oregon 2016 was lit, ditto for miami.  hard to get excited when our product is an embarrassment and we're going up against a meh team or getting steamrolled.

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I am sure a lot of Big Ten fans of opposing teams will use USC and UCLA games as an excuse to go to LA, at least every few years.

And there are a ton of fans of all the Big Ten teams in LA. Their attendance should jump just because of the Big Ten diaspora. 

• Plus1 4
2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

And there are a ton of fans of all the Big Ten teams in LA. Their attendance should jump just because of the Big Ten diaspora. 

Good point.  Even Big Ten fans in NoCal or Arizona would make short trip to LA for a game.  I went to the NU-USC game in 2006, and there was a busload of Nebraska fans that drove in from Phoenix the morning of the game that hung out in the tailgate area where we were.

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

And there are a ton of fans of all the Big Ten teams in LA. Their attendance should jump just because of the Big Ten diaspora

We have the lexicon champ of the week right here.  Quite possibly first use of the word on these here boards?  Can you find a way to add this to the coaching thread to keep the momentum going?  even if its just the word diaspora itself, lets go

Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

Good point.  Even Big Ten fans in NoCal or Arizona would make short trip to LA for a game.  I went to the NU-USC game in 2006, and there was a busload of Nebraska fans that drove in from Phoenix the morning of the game.

O we'll pack socal... s#!t, at the ucla game our buddy who has season tickets said it was the craziest away showing they had ever seen, perhaps only tennessee came close to matching it...

We even travel well when we go to the armpit of california, aka fresno

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, gossamorharpy said:

O we'll pack socal... s#!t, at the ucla game our buddy who has season tickets said it was the craziest away showing they had ever seen, perhaps only tennessee came close to matching it...

We even travel well when we go to the armpit of california, aka fresno

Looking back on it, how crazy is it that NU had a non-conference road game at Fresno.  So weird.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Weird as hell.  It was so damn hot that day too, if my memory is correct, im pretty sure they pushed the kickoff back to like 730 pm and even then it was still 105 out and temps on that field were prolly 115

It was a later kickoff and it was televised by CBS Sports Network.  I remember how the media was saying how hot it was that day and night, and the way the Valley is situated, that area can turn into an oven in the summer/early fall.

28 minutes ago, HANC said:

I agree with this sentiment..... my only question would be, does today's "generation" need more technology, lights, music, etc.... than we did back in the day??? Not an indictment, but a question.  As a teacher and coach, I can definitely see a change in learning styles, excitement level, etc.. The entire society, not just youth, but even I zone out when we are continually recognizing a swimmer from 1970, or associate desk clerk for 30 years of service rather than dancing to some type of energetic music.  ( nothing against swimmers or clerks, just needed an example)

Well, that generation thing has always made me think of what I see when I look down the rows in front of me, over my shoulder at those further up, to my left and right, across the field to the other side, and year in and year out through the decades and I see at least three different generations of humans in that stadium every game day, sometimes four, and yes sometimes five (yes, toddler Husker fans, we see you and your parents or grandparents strangling.. I mean dealing with you).  Kidding aside my point is that all age groups are there in droves and it's been that way since the crowds stopped being all males wearing straw hats and all of the photos and film of them were in monochrome. 

Now there are fans in the student section with bottles of Schnapps in their back pockets and paint on their faces who were just a glint in their daddies eye when we were last relevant.  Their behavior?  Well, we're pretty close to that section and the only changes I've noticed is the language and the "music" they listen to, otherwise it's the same loud, funny, farty, girl-grabby, drunky, cussy guys and gals we've always seen (hairdos notwithstanding).  That's just one generation and that's their "normal." 

The rest in the Stadium.. I wonder about and I hope it's just about what knappic said up there regarding the product on the field.  I hope it's not deeper than that.

• Fire 1
23 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

We have the lexicon champ of the week right here.  Quite possibly first use of the word on these here boards?  Can you find a way to add this to the coaching thread to keep the momentum going?  even if its just the word diaspora itself, lets go

It's really the best word to describe what happens with Nebraska, and other Midwest states. People are born here, grow up watching Husker football with their dad, then move away. When the Huskers come near where they've moved, they go see them.

It always makes me laugh when the TV guys say Nebraska fans travel so well. We do, and Ireland this year proves that, but most of the people in the stands in places like LA or Fresno or Washington already live there. 

• Plus1 1

Quite a few years back they got a lot more commercial, professional atmosphere if you will. I agree it sucks some of the energy out of the building. I liked the atmosphere much more in the 80s and 90s. A lot of that has to do with the product on the field but the BS during timeouts is over the top now. I hate to agree with the drunken stoner behind you but it isn’t as fun with all the mindless chit chat during TV timeouts. They just do too much of it anymore. Everybody politely applauds like they give a s#!t. They sure could liven it up.

9 hours ago, admo said:

I will add, it does seem quiet like fans are watching a movie... but when a nice run or pass play happens they get loud.  When a big time play happens they go crazy loud and explode.  Then back to the movie on the field, nice and quiet.

I don’t think the breaks are in the university’s control- but I lightly agree with the amount of honorees. It kind of depends where the game is at emotionally- like a big stop coming up for the d- or other highly energized situation.-  it would be nice to have a stadium DJ keep the crowd jacked.  But if it’s a natural lull in the flow of the game- then I think it’s a nice time to sit and relax.