What did we learn? Minnesota edition

Red Five

3 minutes ago, admo said:

I know, I was thinking the same (Go!  why are you not running for it!)

I rewind it immediately (thank you YouTube TV).

But then Smothers did his job on 4th down and throws a catchable pass to our best receiver and hits him in the hands.  #3 drops it.

:throw

Not sure if we score a TD on this final drive or not, but if he had caught the ball on 4th down...... we'd be around the 35 with 1 minute to play.  

The best approach I have ever heard on a 2-minute drill is to just keep getting first downs, and not worry about scoring until getting close to the end zone.  Teams usually stop themselves, and not the clock.  Smothers had a run to get the first down, but he's thinking about getting a big pass play.  That put too much to lose on 4th down, and while the pass was there, it still was an unsuccessful play.

Minnesota is a better program right now.  They are bowl eligible( AGAIN)  They also had a backup QB.  They have a RB who just blew his achilles last season..........who was maybe the best player on the field.................we have talent issues. 

It is very frustrating that we are where we are.  It is very sad that we have no identity.  I lost alot of confidence in Mickey today.  I am afraid that he is not head coach material.  If you know that we should be running the ball more, and you think that we waited to long to change QB's today, your not cut out for this gig.  Those are instinct based moves and moves that a Head coach has to make in a timely manner.  I was looking at recruiting this week, and really Mickey has done a fine job, but I don't know if some of those recruits are difference makers right now.  I would take a chance on a bigger name and more experience coach right now.

1 hour ago, mwj98 said:

Oh, and just for the record. Frost drove this program way more into the ground than Riley did. This team quit on Frost. MJ got them to at least compete. We have no depth at all. Purdy trash. Smothers garbage. Go ahead and get those so called “experienced” coaches. Good luck. 

Eh ... Riley took a 9-win program and turned it into a 4-win program.  Frost took a 4-win program and turned it into a 3-win program.  Both are bad but Riley took it down way more than Frost did.

• Haha 4

I have watched Palmer all season pout after he doesn't catch a ball or the QB throws away from him......etc.  The guy is a playmaker, but he is also selfish.  He is not a team first player, and that one catch he should have made earlier in the game that he alligator armed, and still got tatooed, showed that.  That was a key 3rd down play as well.  The 4th down play just summed up his play and why he came to Nebraska. 

• Plus1 1
32 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think that Whipple tells his guys "When you scramble, keep looking for a receiver".  That's not a bad thought, but that can also take away a lot of the natural running instincts of athletic, mobile QB's.

It was pretty much just situational awareness (or lack thereof) from a guy who hasn't played much football for awhile.

If that's 1st down, it's not a terrible decision to try to make that throw.  He was open, just a bad throw.  

On 3rd down you HAVE to run and get the first down.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Stone Cold said:

We dont lack talent

Huh? I can get our players lacked straight on good coaching. But given the dysfunction in our previous coaching that leads to an environment where dudes just play regardless of scheme, and when that happens the team still loses but at minimum you see talent that makes talented mistakes...aside from Grant and a slight few others...we just see mistakes

3 hours ago, Mavric said:

Eh ... Riley took a 9-win program and turned it into a 4-win program.  Frost took a 4-win program and turned it into a 3-win program.  Both are bad but Riley took it down way more than Frost did.

Eh, Riley had 9 wins, but the boosters wanted Diaco as DC.  Diaco's god awful defense was the reason for 3 wins.  The only thing Riley did wrong was he quit recruiting when he saw the writing on the wall.  

• Plus1 4
  • TBH 2

9 hours ago, NebraskaHarry said:

I hate to rag on the kid anymore than he already has been, but I'm gonna do it anyway. How is Purdy even on a football scholarship? He stinks!

He panics under pressure.  He must have done okay in High school to get a scholarship.  I think his coaching and development in Lincoln is minimal.  I would bet that Purdy has not had much full speed tackle action in practice before and during the season.  The coaching in Lincoln is insufficient for Purdy and others.

3 hours ago, southernoregonhusker said:

Eh, Riley had 9 wins, but the boosters wanted Diaco as DC.  Diaco's god awful defense was the reason for 3 wins.  The only thing Riley did wrong was he quit recruiting when he saw the writing on the wall.  

Callahan and Petersen destroyed Nebraska football and culture.  Fans with annual championship expectations fueled the fires too.  Remember, we fired two 9-win coaches because they did not measure up.  Solich went on to a successful career at Ohio.  Pelini might have mellowed out if his brother was. It around as a bad influence.  
the Huskers are a doormat now and it will take time with an exceptional HC and trike outstanding assistants working hard for several seasons.  Five star recruits are not dreaming of coming to Lincoln.   We will have to develop good local talent and lesser star recruits, teaching fundamentals, stressing strength & conditioning, and MOTIVATING them.  

• Fire 1