What did we learn? Minnesota edition

Red Five

21 hours ago, lo country said:

Post game presser Caleb Tannor said that the defense the  "Got too comfortable with the lead".....In year 5 of losing to 90% of the teams we play and probably 99% of those in the B1G what type of mentality is missing with this team.  Honestly....

https://saturdaytradition.com/nebraska-football/caleb-tannor-nebraska-got-comfortable-during-blown-lead-vs-minnesota/?fbclid=IwAR3HVU49tNZkGHCLQMHfcwAJ3Ap7KtEYfI7a3KFVuORo6tqpS7rS6CE3aaY

Entitlement.   We got the N on the helmet so that must mean something - no way someone beats us when we are up big. We are big bad Nebraska. These guys aren't hungry enough - just like what Tannor said. 

• Plus1 4

1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

Entitlement.   We got the N on the helmet so that must mean something - no way someone beats us when we are up big. We are big bad Nebraska. These guys aren't hungry enough - just like what Tannor said. 

They don't understand what it means.  These coaches still aren't getting that through to these guys. 

5 hours ago, runningblind said:

They don't understand what it means.  These coaches still aren't getting that through to these guys. 

This is exactly why I am not in favor of Mickey being the full time head coach.  The program is broken.  I think the players need a shock to the system in order for things to significantly change.  If Mickey were promoted to full-time head coach, I don't know if the players would fully understand how much they need to change going forward.  I think a lot of them would think "great, we can do things how we have been doing them".  In fact, they may even think "What we did the last 9 games of the season was so good, that we were able to get Mickey the full time head coaching job.  Why do we need to change?"

• Plus1 4
28 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

This is exactly why I am not in favor of Mickey being the full time head coach.  The program is broken.  I think the players need a shock to the system in order for things to significantly change.  If Mickey were promoted to full-time head coach, I don't know if the players would fully understand how much they need to change going forward.  I think a lot of them would think "great, we can do things how we have been doing them".  In fact, they may even think "What we did the last 9 games of the season was so good, that we were able to get Mickey the full time head coaching job.  Why do we need to change?"

The reverse might also be true: the players leaving through the transfer portal might be the shock to the system that Nebraska fans need to realize that maybe we can't get a quick fix or a "big time" coach and need to start thinking about long-term success and not being good again in a season or two.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I'm willing to believe this season's team is not Mickey's vision for his program.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

If Mickey ends up being the HC, it means that the decision makers completely botched everything from last year. This isn’t an opinion about Mickey, but how dysfunctional the Athletic Dept and state of the program is overall. 

I would root like heck for MJ and hold optimism for him - depending on who he hires. 

However, if he ends up the HC then who ever got in the way of preventing Frost from being fired should maybe pony up their money when asked, and stfu about opinions. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

To the bold...  What year did it first happen to be broken ??  :confucius  :confucius

31 minutes ago, admo said:

To the bold...  What year did it first happen to be broken ??  :confucius  :confucius

I would say 2017. The first 2 years under Riley still had some strong leadership from players who were recruited by Bo, but starting with the 2017, there was a complete lack of leadership and accountability. It has only continued to regress since then.

• Haha 1
36 minutes ago, admo said:

It’s a manifestation with multiple layers going back to Frank. A series of missteps one after the other. The landscape of the game changed over time. We didn’t negotiate it well. Not just from a coaching standpoint. Bo got things on the upswing for a period then around 2012 it seemed to spiral down from there again.  

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I would say 2017. The first 2 years under Riley still had some strong leadership from players who were recruited by Bo, but starting with the 2017, there was a complete lack of leadership and accountability. It has only continued to regress since then.

Really ? 2017 ?

So in 2004, with Callahan & Cosgrove the Huskers went 5-6.  Lost the 2nd game of the year to Southern Miss, and the 5th game of the year 70-10 to Texas Tech.  First losing record in a season since .......... and first time not going to bowl game since......... 

But not broken until Riley? :blink:

I mean, the University of Nebraska at Lincoln Athletic department reached out to Mike Riley to reconsider retiring and give it one more try.... which was then discussed with his wife to give it one last shot.  Mike Riley did not reach out to Nebraska.  #Facts

2004...  First losing season.  2007 Second losing season.  Not broken though?

I think it has been broken a long time before 2017.  Including days against Ohio State and Wisconsin in 2012.  

15 minutes ago, admo said:

Really ? 2017 ?

So in 2004, with Callahan & Cosgrove the Huskers went 5-6.  Lost the 2nd game of the year to Southern Miss, and the 5th game of the year 70-10 to Texas Tech.  First losing record in a season since .......... and first time not going to bowl game since......... 

But not broken until Riley? :blink:

I mean, the University of Nebraska at Lincoln Athletic department reached out to Mike Riley to reconsider retiring and give it one more try.... which was then discussed with his wife to give it one last shot.  Mike Riley did not reach out to Nebraska.  #Facts

2004...  First losing season.  2007 Second losing season.  Not broken though?

I think it has been broken a long time before 2017.  Including days against Ohio State and Wisconsin in 2012.  

There have been little to no positives in following Nebraska football since 2017. That’s why I chose that year. Because since then, the program has been a complete mess and an absolute joke of a football program. You can say it “broke” a lot earlier than that, but I think there were still a number of positive moments in the Callahan, Pelini, and even Riley years. Other than that, we are just arguing semantics. I don’t really care “when it broke”, I just care that we hire a head coach that can fix it for the long-term. 

• Plus1 2
44 minutes ago, M.A. said:

It’s a manifestation with multiple layers going back to Frank. A series of missteps one after the other. The landscape of the game changed over time. We didn’t negotiate it well. Not just from a coaching standpoint. Bo got things on the upswing for a period then around 2012 it seemed to spiral down from there again.  

Carl Crawford choosing baseball over NU.  JLo (one of my fave Huskers) played QB instead of safety.  63-36....Debacle that was Cally, then Bo with little front office support, Riley and finally Frost.  Now being the only P5 team with no bowl since 2017 is just one more of the 1000 cuts that has finally bled NU dry.

Not to be dramatic, but this is potentially the most important hire in NU history.  One more misstep and the mountain to relevance gets a whole lot higher and harder to climb.... 

• Fire 1
54 minutes ago, lo country said:

Not to be dramatic, but this is potentially the most important hire in NU history.  One more misstep and the mountain to relevance gets a whole lot higher and harder to climb.... 

To be fair, pretty sure people were saying this five years ago.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1