What did we learn? Minnesota edition

Red Five

11 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

Then someone please explan to me Kansas, Oreagon St, Liberty, Wake Forrest.  

They are wining with competent staff's who develop the crap out of who they have.  A definitve scheme/system.  Dedication to the basics and accountability.  Frost was a complete Fraud.  A waste of 4+ years and talent.  Made Riley look like a genius.  

A lot of the talent argument is based upon metric for the actual recruit class at the time of signing.  The 2017 Riley signing class, after who stayed, results etc adjusted out to 70th in P5. Frosts 1st class was adjusted better at 69.....Our 4/5 year guys adjusted recruited ranks were the worst in P5.  We do not have talent. At least the senior guys. And the younger guys?  Probably haven't actually practiced since HS....

Here is the link

https://theathletic.com/3129850/2022/02/15/too-many-misses-nebraska-falters-in-another-recruiting-re-rank-again-finishing-at-bottom-of-the-power-5/

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, lo country said:

They are wining with competent staff's who develop the crap out of who they have.  A definitve scheme/system.  Dedication to the basics and accountability.  Frost was a complete Fraud.  A waste of 4+ years and talent.  Made Riley look like a genius.  

A lot of the talent argument is based upon metric for the actual recruit class at the time of signing.  The 2017 Riley signing class, after who stayed, results etc adjusted out to 70th in P5. Frosts 1st class was adjusted better at 69.....Our 4/5 year guys adjusted recruited ranks were the worst in P5.  We do not have talent. At least the senior guys. And the younger guys?  Probably haven't actually practiced since HS....

Here is the link

https://theathletic.com/3129850/2022/02/15/too-many-misses-nebraska-falters-in-another-recruiting-re-rank-again-finishing-at-bottom-of-the-power-5/

Thank you, that was all i was looking for,

Just now, Stone Cold said:

Thank you, that was all i was looking for,

No worries.  Even an average coach we'd be bowling.....All the missed practices, bowl money, exposure etc....Crap adds up and makes it harder to get back to any sense of relevance.

It boggles the mind that Frost was allowed to stay here as long as he did....I guess Moos being back in Montana for the previous 2 years didn't help.

2 minutes ago, lo country said:

No worries.  Even an average coach we'd be bowling.....All the missed practices, bowl money, exposure etc....Crap adds up and makes it harder to get back to any sense of relevance.

It boggles the mind that Frost was allowed to stay here as long as he did....I guess Moos being back in Montana for the previous 2 years didn't help.

Looking back on Frost, the fans should have been worried when they didn't have success in 2019, when that season was set up to do well.  In 2019, Frost did a lot of weird things as a head coach, especially in the final game against Iowa.  I thought it was ok to give Frost a pass for the 2020 season, just because of COVID and that whole season was screwy.  Frost should have been fired after last year, but he still had too many fans and one big booster supporting him.  Trev also didn't want to make it look like he was just hired to fire Frost.  Trev let Frost hang himself this year, and here we are stuck with this crap-tastic season.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, lo country said:

This is the s#!t that pisses me off the most about our situation.  Is that we should be better then most everyone in the west division, there nothing special, they just do a couple of things very well and that keeps them in almost every game they play. And most importantly they dont drop any of there first 3 games so the team has confidence going into the meat of there schedule.  

Just now, Stone Cold said:

This is the s#!t that pisses me off the most about our situation.  Is that we should be better then most everyone in the west division, there nothing special, they just do a couple of things very well and that keeps them in almost every game they play. And most importantly they dont drop any of there first 3 games so the team has confidence going into the meat of there schedule.  

Being in the Big Ten West should have been a good thing for NU, basically because it's a very average-to-bad division.  If NU were able to retain and develop the talent that had been recruited, and had quality game-management, NU should have been winning the past few years.  But it didn't happen.  I do think NU fans sometimes get a false sense of NU "being close" when NU plays these other average-bad teams close, but still losing.  The football in the Big Ten West, especially this year, has not been good, but NU consistently finds ways to lose games within the West Division.  It happened under Frost, and now Mickey is 0-3 against the West Division.  I would be surprised if NU doesn't end up 0-6 against the West division this year.

3 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

This is when the whole neighborhood heard me yelling and cussing. He could have easily picked up the first down by running yet he decides to throw a horrible throw. Sometimes I wonder what the IQ is for our QBs. Also, what does Whipple teach these guys? How to make ginger tea?

I think that Whipple tells his guys "When you scramble, keep looking for a receiver".  That's not a bad thought, but that can also take away a lot of the natural running instincts of athletic, mobile QB's.

5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think that Whipple tells his guys "When you scramble, keep looking for a receiver".  That's not a bad thought, but that can also take away a lot of the natural running instincts of athletic, mobile QB's.

He is coaching the athleticism out of an athlete.  In the same way Verduzco did to AM.  Trying to make them into something they are not.  Watching this Bama vs LSU game.  Both QB's using their strengths.  Saban nor Kelly trying to coach that out of them....

Read MJ said they should've gone with Smothers over Purdy as Purdy was missing/not going through reads....

17 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

Same here.  No reason we should be as crappy as were are.  But we are. And O have no idea what coach or how we get out of this.  Watching football a lot on Saturday, we do not look nearly as athletic as a lot of teams (most that I watch).  Maybe S&C has had that much of a negative impact on the team.  

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, cornhole69 said:

Minnesota is just far superior of a program, PJ fleck is just flat out a better coach

That is not true at all. We could have easily won today if Thompson was not injured and if we had a semi decent coach who did not make stupid play calls or allow his offensive coordinator to stick with an incompetent QB. If urban Meyer was coaching in the weak west division, he would own it. Unfortunately, we have clown coaches making clown decisions leading to clown plays. The game today was easily winnable if our offense did not take a two quarter break. We had more yards in the last two drives than we had the entire rest of the second half. Why is that? Other than mo Ibrahim, who does Minnesota have? If you are dumb enough to let one player beat you then you do not deserve to be coach. This whole season has been a dumpster fire because of the ill advised and STUPID decision to give Frost another shot at failure. If we brought a good coach last year, with our schedule this season, we would be finishing 8-4 with a chance to play in a bowl and have much needed practices. Yet, here we are again looking at yet another losing season and no additional practices for a team that needs every second of practice. It is so frustrating and aggravating. All we can do is pray that next year is better. Nothing else we can do now except hope that this useless unit has one more win in them, hopefully against Iowa.

1 hour ago, suh_fan93 said:

Fg0s23UX0AEpc6Z?format=jpg&name=4096x409

I know, I was thinking the same (Go!  why are you not running for it!)

I rewind it immediately (thank you YouTube TV).

But then Smothers did his job on 4th down and throws a catchable pass to our best receiver and hits him in the hands.  #3 drops it.

:throw

Not sure if we score a TD on this final drive or not, but if he had caught the ball on 4th down...... we'd be around the 35 with 1 minute to play.  

• Plus1 2