What did we learn? Minnesota edition

Red Five

15 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

How do you not practice well?  Does he not show up on time?  Poor effort?   If true, it would be hard to play guy that doesn’t look good in practice. 

I don’t know, I’m not at practice As @ZRodpointed out, it could be showing a weaker arm or not as good as accuracy vs. Purdy. They’ve also commented that they didn’t have very physical and competitive practices, so Purdy may look decent until he gets punched in the mouth or faces pressure. 

3 hours ago, ActualCornHusker said:

Reading into Mickey's comments in the postgame, my guess is that Purdy is a better practice QB than Smothers. 

That's great and all, but I'll take the guy that maybe doesn't practice great who turns it up and does a good job when the game starts

I doubt it's anything to do with practice...Purdy is just Whipple's guy who he promised to be next up in order to get him here. He also has a hot mom, but I doubt that plays into it.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
18 hours ago, talaricohusker said:

I just want to yell at somebody within the program right now like I so wish I had a job there right now so I can get into whipps face tell him to pack it up and kick rocks 

The defense had the exact same letdown.

Why would you not reserve any yelling for the head coach who oversees both?

• Plus1 1

7 hours ago, Big Red Viking said:

What did he have to adjust ?  The 2nd and 3rd quarter were horrible with Chubba going 3 and out.

We obviously had a game plan that played into Chubba's very modest talents, with a run-heavy game, safe outlet passes and a green light to scramble.  We also had a defensive game plan to shut down Minnesota's running game. Both worked great for one half of football. Fleck and staff made the right halftime adjustment. Nebraska didn't. 

There's a reason why we "go away from what works." It's because opposing teams learn and adjust.  

Hell, Minnesota dumped the most experienced QB in the Big 10 for a freshman, and as soon as the passing game got clicking, the running game broke open. 

• Fire 1
  • TBH 1
4 hours ago, Mavric said:

Eh, reading a bunch of stuff over the last month or two it seems pretty obvious that Whipple likes Purdy.  And Whipple keeps winning the argument.

Which is why everyone on the Mickey train needs to realize he is in no way ready to take over as HC. He should have made the call to bench Purdy for Smothers, and forced Whipple's hand. I 100% want Mickey on the staff in some way... but if he isn't ready to make hard decisions when there are zero repercussions, then he won't be any better in that role when it actually matters.

• Thanks 1
  • TBH 2
38 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

We obviously had a game plan that played into Chubba's very modest talents, with a run-heavy game, safe outlet passes and a green light to scramble.  We also had a defensive game plan to shut down Minnesota's running game. Both worked great for one half of football. Fleck and staff made the right halftime adjustment. Nebraska didn't. 

There's a reason why we "go away from what works." It's because opposing teams learn and adjust.  

Hell, Minnesota dumped the most experienced QB in the Big 10 for a freshman, and as soon as the passing game got clicking, the running game broke open. 

Post game presser Caleb Tannor said that the defense the  "Got too comfortable with the lead".....In year 5 of losing to 90% of the teams we play and probably 99% of those in the B1G what type of mentality is missing with this team.  Honestly....

https://saturdaytradition.com/nebraska-football/caleb-tannor-nebraska-got-comfortable-during-blown-lead-vs-minnesota/?fbclid=IwAR3HVU49tNZkGHCLQMHfcwAJ3Ap7KtEYfI7a3KFVuORo6tqpS7rS6CE3aaY

• Plus1 3
2 hours ago, Saunders said:

Which is why everyone on the Mickey train needs to realize he is in no way ready to take over as HC. He should have made the call to bench Purdy for Smothers, and forced Whipple's hand. I 100% want Mickey on the staff in some way... but if he isn't ready to make hard decisions when there are zero repercussions, then he won't be any better in that role when it actually matters.

Not really.  He is your coworker who suddenly got tabbed with interim head coach title.  Whipp is like 65 and probably seen it all before.  Maybe stubborn too.  But I bet they saw the writing on the wall for them since the day Frost got terminated.  Just work together until it's all over.  

This staff isn't going to step on each others neck through Turkey Day.  They packing up and leaving soon. If Frost was in charge it would be way more understandable. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
  • TBH 1

8 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Severe (on his radio show this morning) is also saying that he doesn't think Smothers practices well, but Severe also says that if a guy (Purdy) consistently shows he can't produce in the game, then he shouldn't be the choice as backup QB.

He might not think that.  He says a lot of things that he thinks that may or may not have any factual basis.

But they literally said last week that Mickey wanted Smothers to play in the second half but Whipple said he needed to throw the ball every down so he wanted Purdy.  Not that Purdy practiced better (or even practiced at all for that matter) just that he wanted Purdy.  Pretty sure it's as simple as that.

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, Mavric said:

He might not think that.  He says a lot of things that he thinks that may or may not have any factual basis.

But they literally said last week that Mickey wanted Smothers to play in the second half but Whipple said he needed to throw the ball every down so he wanted Purdy.  Not that Purdy practiced better (or even practiced at all for that matter) just that he wanted Purdy.  Pretty sure it's as simple as that.

IIRC, Whip recruited Purdy out of HS.  Seem to remember he likes to identify the "guy(s)" who are playmakers (Palmer) and get them the ball.  He felt/feels that Purdy goves them the best option to get the ball too Palmer.  Mickey has made multiple comments about starting Smothers or should have put him in sooner.  Alluded to Purdy missing some reads and (my words) getting that deer in the headlights look.  I think the OC wants Purdy and the IHC wants Smothers.