Where ColoradoHusk Asks Random Trivia

6 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Dahrran Diedrick

DING DING DING!!!   We have our winner!!!!

As the story goes, Solich was doing a recruiting visit with Diedrick in Ontario, Canada.  It was the night before Osborne was going to officially announce his retirement to the team and to the press.  In Diedrick's home that night, Solich told Diedrick "tomorrow, Tom Osborne is going to announce his retirement, and I am going to be the head coach."

For those wondering the "connection" to Ahman Green, Diedrick came to NU in 1998, and was the next I-back to wear #30 after Green left for the NFL.

• Plus1 6

18 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

DING DING DING!!!   We have our winner!!!!

As the story goes, Solich was doing a recruiting visit with Diedrick in Ontario, Canada.  It was the night before Osborne was going to officially announce his retirement to the team and to the press.  In Diedrick's home that night, Solich told Diedrick "tomorrow, Tom Osborne is going to announce his retirement, and I am going to be the head coach."

For those wondering the "connection" to Ahman Green, Diedrick came to NU in 1998, and was the next I-back to wear #30 after Green left for the NFL.

So Solich DID know before Diedrick. Wouldn’t that make the answer to the question Frank Solich?

Nevermind. I have bad reading comprehension. You did say other than the staff etc.

• Haha 3
4 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

So Solich DID know before Diedrick. Wouldn’t that make the answer to the question Frank Solich?

Nevermind. I have bad reading comprehension. You did say other than the staff etc.

I'm sure there were a lot of people who knew the succession plan.  My question was geared towards around "who was the first player who knew when TO was going to retire and Solich was taking over.

Thanks all for playing along!!!

• Plus1 1

My initial answer, Rich Glover, was based on trying to think of past players I know Osborne kept in contact with. I remember when they opened PBA, seeing Osborne and Glover sitting off to the side, away from the festivities, just chatting like two old friends.

When you started giving clues the first person who popped into my head was Calvin Jones, because of the time I almost killed Calvin Jones.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I'm sure there were a lot of people who knew the succession plan.  My question was geared towards around "who was the first player who knew when TO was going to retire and Solich was taking over.

Thanks all for playing along!!!

But wait, If Solich was there recruiting him, he wasn't a Nebraska player yet. Do I win anything??

12 minutes ago, deedsker said:

Story time, please. Please?

Back in the days when 10th street went northbound straight from downtown past the stadium, I was zipping along in the northbound lane, next to the stadium's west exit. You could park right next to the stadium on 10th. This dude just walks out onto 10th street between two cars right in front of me, and I slam on the brakes and screech to a halt. 

That dude was Calvin Jones. 

If I'd have hit him I would have been the most hated man in Nebraska. I would have had to move out of the state if I'd have killed one of the We Backs. 

• Haha 5
1 minute ago, knapplc said:

Back in the days when 10th street went northbound straight from downtown past the stadium, I was zipping along in the northbound lane, next to the stadium's west exit. You could park right next to the stadium on 10th. This dude just walks out onto 10th street between two cars right in front of me, and I slam on the brakes and screech to a halt. 

That dude was Calvin Jones. 

If I'd have hit him I would have been the most hated man in Nebraska. I would have had to move out of the state if I'd have killed one of the We Backs. 

Right in front of Denny's.

• Plus1 1

21 minutes ago, admo said:

Can we add some grits with heavy butter??? With some tortillas.... and bacon too ???  chuckleshuffle

Naaaa…..my friends and I would show up at about 1:30am and compete to see who could eat the most biscuits and gravy.  We knew the whole night staff by name. Now I’m mad I can’t remember the managers name. 

A couple years after graduating, I ate with my parents at Perkins by the airport and she was working there.  She called me by name and gave me a hug. Parents weren’t impressed. 

• Oh Yeah! 1