Michigan Week Pressers

Mavric

5 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Either he is trying to throw Michigan off or is just at a loss for what to say.  We haven't been able to consistently get 3-4 yards per run all season.  If we had, we would have won a lot more games.  

I honestly feel bad for MJ.  He is in a tough spot and just doesn't have the experience to pull from to succeed.  His solution to slow the game down and run the ball against the stiffest part of our schedule is going to be a massive failure imo.  

13 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Either he is trying to throw Michigan off or is just at a loss for what to say.  We haven't been able to consistently get 3-4 yards per run all season.  If we had, we would have won a lot more games.  

I guess "consistently" is somewhat open to interpretation.  We are averaging 3.9 yards per carry for the season - 5.0 if you take out sacks.  Against Minnesota Grant got the big run on the first play but we got at least three yards on 58% of our run in the first quarter.  But then had fewer runs the rest of the game than we had in the first quarter.

So I think he's pretty accurate with what he's saying.  The question is can he actually get Whipple to do it.

• Thanks 2
1 hour ago, Hilltop said:

Either he is trying to throw Michigan off or is just at a loss for what to say.  We haven't been able to consistently get 3-4 yards per run all season.

We have been able to at times, and we haven't even tried at other times. There's been....no games where we actually made an honest attempt to establish the run and failed. 

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

I guess "consistently" is somewhat open to interpretation.  We are averaging 3.9 yards per carry for the season - 5.0 if you take out sacks.  Against Minnesota Grant got the big run on the first play but we got at least three yards on 58% of our run in the first quarter.  But then had fewer runs the rest of the game than we had in the first quarter.

So I think he's pretty accurate with what he's saying.  The question is can he actually get Whipple to do it.

Purdy potentially still being in the mix is not a good sign for Whipple having an epiphany... Micky has to dictate who's starting and what our game plan is. He's the CEO and it's his team right now. This team can win ball control games like he mentioned, we just need the one coordinator to extract his cabeza from his dupa.

• Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 1

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

You are correct but I think we all know what I mean by consistently- the ability to run the ball for 3-4 yards when the other teams knows you are running the ball.  We built up that average with some longer runs when teams were forced to respect the deep pass.  We haven't been able to impose our will on the ground when we need to yet imo.  With CT out, we are going to see 8+ in the box on almost every snap so for MJ to suggest we will start now against Michigan, Wisconsin and Iowa is not reality. 

We need to have some form of a passing game to stand any chance of another win.   

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

You are correct but I think we all know what I mean by consistently- the ability to run the ball for 3-4 yards when the other teams knows you are running the ball.  We built up that average with some longer runs when teams were forced to respect the deep pass.  We haven't been able to impose our will on the ground when we need to yet imo.  With CT out, we are going to see 8+ in the box on almost every snap so for MJ to suggest we will start now against Michigan, Wisconsin and Iowa is not reality. 

We need to have some form of a passing game to stand any chance of another win.   

Eh ... that's not even really a thing.  Georgia averaged 3.5 ypc against Tennessee, aided by some long runs.  So apparently Georgia can't really run the ball. Ohio State averaged 2.2 ypc against Iowa.  So apparently Ohio State can't really run the ball.  Alabama averaged 1.1 ypc against Mississippi State.  So apparently Alabama can't really run the ball.  

Nobody can just line up and run the ball any time they want to.  It has to be part of the entire offensive scheme.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Eh ... that's not even really a thing.  Georgia averaged 3.5 ypc against Tennessee, aided by some long runs.  So apparently Georgia can't really run the ball. Ohio State averaged 2.2 ypc against Iowa.  So apparently Ohio State can't really run the ball.  Alabama averaged 1.1 ypc against Mississippi State.  So apparently Alabama can't really run the ball.  

Nobody can just line up and run the ball any time they want to.  It has to be part of the entire offensive scheme.

Yep, and it gets really difficult if/when your QB can’t hit the broad side of a barn even occasionally.

This isn’t the 80s/90s where we could run at will. And nobody is going to have much luck exclusively running on Michigan, Wiscy and Iowa. If we can’t have some success throwing the ball we will have zero success running it.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, ZRod said:

Purdy potentially still being in the mix is not a good sign for Whipple having an epiphany... Micky has to dictate who's starting and what our game plan is. He's the CEO and it's his team right now. This team can win ball control games like he mentioned, we just need the one coordinator to extract his cabeza from his dupa.

Bonus points for use of cabeza and dupa :thumbs