Should've Mickey Joseph sent Mark Whipple packing?

husker rob

3 hours ago, sho said:

He's gone, regardless.  Issue is, who would have called plays?  We have no one on staff, after Scriptle, who could have.   Have to do as much as you can to salvage a lost season.  Getting rid of him would have been more harm than good.

Agreed.   We are just watching the cleanup after the disastrous Frost years - which includes this year.   With Frost fired so early, this year was going to play out as a slow-moving train wreck.  We were stuck with the Frost hires - win or lose - which also includes the OL coach.   Trev probably had his hands tied last year, so this year was going to be a mess unless Frost pulled a rabbit from his hat - which based on his previous 4 years, it wasn't going to happen.  Some of us, INCLUDING ME, got overly confident in the new coaches and more importantly in the new portal transfers that came here.  The problem is, the HC remained the same and along with that, all of his baggage.  The OL wasn't fixed and the DC showed no improvement on the D side now that he was without his 6 year players.  

This year's symbol:

Slow-motion-train-wreck GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

4 hours ago, lo country said:

In hind sight, Whip should have never been hired.  Same with a lot )read most) of the staff Frost brought and also newly hired. We are simply in year 5 of the Frost effect.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

8 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Agreed.   We are just watching the cleanup after the disastrous Frost years - which includes this year.   With Frost fired so early, this year was going to play out as a slow-moving train wreck.  We were stuck with the Frost hires - win or lose - which also includes the OL coach.   Trev probably had his hands tied last year, so this year was going to be a mess unless Frost pulled a rabbit from his hat - which based on his previous 4 years, it wasn't going to happen.  Some of us, INCLUDING ME, got overly confident in the new coaches and more importantly in the new portal transfers that came here.  The problem is, the HC remained the same and along with that, all of his baggage.  The OL wasn't fixed and the DC showed no improvement on the D side now that he was without his 6 year players.  

This years symbol:

Slow-motion-train-wreck GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

If you hire an athletic director, then immediately tie his hands, that is major dysfunction.  Systemic dysfunction.  To think this is magically all going to be fine with one hire is wishful thinking with that type of thing occurring. 

Boosters and everyone else need to get their hands out of  the cookie jar and let people do their jobs.  That's how good organizations run, they hire good people and they let them do their jobs without micro management. 

• Plus1 3
20 minutes ago, runningblind said:

If you hire an athletic director, then immediately tie his hands, that is major dysfunction.  Systemic dysfunction.  To think this is magically all going to be fine with one hire is wishful thinking with that type of thing occurring. 

Boosters and everyone else need to get their hands out of  the cookie jar and let people do their jobs.  That's how good organizations run, they hire good people and they let them do their jobs without micro management. 

This is the thing that scares me the most about hiring a new coach.

• Plus1 1

MJ has had his hands completely full to this point.  Letting Whipple go would have just created more workload that he wasn't prepared to handle.  On top of that, his options weren't great.  Fire Whipple and it doesn't work, your audition is a complete failure.  Keep him and claim no other options, maybe you are forgiven and still have a shot at the job.  Unfortunately for MJ I think that ship has sailed.     

• Plus1 2

3 hours ago, runningblind said:

It’s been quite a reactionary hiring too. The AD needs to find the best fit for the program independent of those that deem themselves experts. It’s like a dusty chalkboard cluttered with names one emotionally influenced decision after another absent enough insight and reasoning. 

That slate needs to be wiped clean. It’s been like a dog chasing it’s tail remedies seemingly introduced in response to issues not effectively addressed previously. The intent of those people isn’t necessarily bad. It’s just that they’re not qualified to perform the surgery so to speak. It’s 1 critical component of the equation.

Along with good coaching, what has helped the volleyball program progress and enjoy the success that it has? Could it be that there’s less of these kinds of influences? 

Osborne to Solich

Solich to Callahan 

Callahan to Pelini 

Pelini to Riley 

Rilely to Frost

Frost to (Hopefully to good fit for us)

With Solich it seems to me that it was quite personal between he and Peterson among other factors. In each of the others there’s a contrast in character from one to the next. The decision can’t be influenced by emotion or fear based or, a reaction to the previous episode. Offensive mind to defensive mind as well in some examples.

A good amount of humbleness needs to go along with pride to achieve our ultimate objectives. Right now we need a competent builder with credentials to win in the conference. 

3 hours ago, Hilltop said:

MJ has had his hands completely full to this point.  Letting Whipple go would have just created more workload that he wasn't prepared to handle.  On top of that, his options weren't great.  Fire Whipple and it doesn't work, your audition is a complete failure.  Keep him and claim no other options, maybe you are forgiven and still have a shot at the job.  Unfortunately for MJ I think that ship has sailed.     

And when a play call doesn't work, it's historically the OC fault.  

And when a play call do work and you don't do it again right away, it's the OC fault.

I feel like the fanbase wants to win so badly that they forget Frost was fired after a few games into the season.  And that they are too critical of the current coaches for trying to do their job, with these players, by seeing it through the end. 

If the fanbase could just remember, since Frost got fired, these coaches knew their time was over and they just working together.  It's a tough situation and likely that every coach has a different perspective and goal since the firing.  Just my opinion though.

• Fire 2
16 hours ago, husker rob said:

Should have MJ fired MW after the Illinois loss?  

After Casey got hurt, and Chubba and Logan played it was completely obvious to me that neither of the backups were prepared to run the offense at all.  Who's job is it to prepare backup QBs to play if the starter gets hurt?  Mr Obvious says the QB coach.  MW failed in preparing Logan or Chubba.  Failed to recognize that Chubba wasnt getting it done in the 2nd half against Illinois and after the first 2 series against Minnesota.  Refuses to go away from his game plan and utilize Logan to his strengths by using more RPOs.

At this point I would rather have Sean Beckton finish the season as OC rather than wasting any more time with the "Whip"

What say you?

Hard to disagree I thought Logan looked better last year when he played against Iowa. I sometimes wonder if the people running this football team are the same ones running this board

I was watching the Hard Knocks In Season for the Arizona Cardinals, and the first episode showed a clip of their passing game coordinator, Spencer Whipple. Sure enough, that’s Mark Whipple’s son. It’s so sickening how nepotistic the profession of coaching football is. It makes it so hard for coaches without family connections to break into the game and be successful.

On another note, Mickey’s brother, Vance, is the DC with the Cardinals, so the Josephs and the Whipples probably knew each other prior to this season at Nebraska.  

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2