Prime Time!!! - Deion Sanders Hired as Colorado Head Coach

Shiggity

5 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Nothing is guaranteed, but of the 3, only Rhule has shown to a "program builder" at the Power 5 level (also did it at Temple).  Deion is a big name, but I think he will struggle in the long-term at CU.  He may improve recruiting at CU, but he won't have the better talent like he often does at Jackson State.  Fickell is very good, but I think he's better at keeping a program going rather than re-building one.

I'm curious how Deion will do when he has 'like' talent.  Right now, he is out classing SWAC.   He's not going to outclass Oregon or Utah.   Arizona and Arizona St are sleeping giants with the right coach.   Now we will see if Deion can actually coach.

Just now, sho said:

I'm curious how Deion will do when he has 'like' talent.  Right now, he is out classing SWAC.   He's not going to outclass Oregon or Utah.   Arizona and Arizona St are sleeping giants with the right coach.   Now we will see if Deion can actually coach.

Those are my thoughts exactly. He seems like a great coach, because he has way more talent than SWAC teams. Now, he will get an upgrade in recruiting, but CU’s academics make it tough to bring in a lot of transfers. Like you point out, he won’t have the talent advantage during his time at CU. 

2 minutes ago, sho said:

Deion can coach and recruit. Yes he never done it at this stage but you don't just get to where he is at with just recruiting. I just don't understand why people don't think he can have long term success especially if he has success early with winning? 

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Deion can coach and recruit. Yes he never done it at this stage but you don't just get to where he is at with just recruiting. I just don't understand why people don't think he can have long term success especially if he has success early with winning? 

Because the coaching gets better as he moves up in the ranks of college football. There will be an adjustment period he will face when he plays against equally talented teams and better coaching staffs. I question whether Deion will want to stick around for the long-haul, once his kids are done playing. 

6 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Actually there's no tangible proof of that.  He's outclassed his opponents at a lower level.   And I have run out of fingers of successful coaches at a lower level that have absolutely ished the bed moving up to P5 coaching.   Heck, we just need to look at Scott Frost as a prime example of that.   He's proven he can recruit based on his name, he'll be able to recruit to Colorado, but he won't drastically out recruit Oregon or Washington (or USC and UCLA while they are in the Pac12) like he can in the SWAC and he we will see how he will do against Kyle Whittingham, Kalen DeBoer, or Dan Lanning.   He's a big question mark in terms of actual coaching ability, I think he's worth the risk, but there's a lot of risk with him.

• Plus1 4
19 hours ago, MichiganCornhusker said:

It will be interesting to watch, the Pac-12 has alot of talent throughout the league and Colorado isn't anywhere close. He has definitely taken on a challenge!

I think that Colorado with Deion has a way easier path to success then Nebraska with Matt Rhule. I say that bc recruits will follow him and know of him. I don't think he would be where he us at in coaching just to quit once his son's are done playing. I don't think that is what drives him for success, it's people that doubt him. Why go to Colorado if he could have went to a Florida school easier on having a recruiting base to win? It's bc he knows what he brings to the table and it doesn't matter where he goes he will win. 

• Plus1 2

Deion coaching in the SWAC makes it difficult because SWAC teams don’t compete in the FCS playoffs, so it’s tough to tell how competitive that conference is.  I give Deion credit for being 12-0 at Jackson State this year, but it’s not like they are facing the same teams like the Dakotas, the Montanas, and other FCS powers. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2
1 minute ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I think that Colorado with Deion has a way easier path to success then Nebraska with Matt Rhule. I say that bc recruits will follow him and know of him. I don't think he would be where he us at in coaching just to quit once his son's are done playing. I don't think that is what drives him for success it's people that doubt him. Why go to Colorado if he could have went to a Florida school easier on having a recruiting base to win? It's bc he knows what he brings to the table and it doesn't matter where he goes he will win. 

Deion goes to a place where he’s going to be the center of attention. I know he talks about what he’s done for his players, but it’s still all about him. CU will let him do that, and it’s worth the gamble for CU to let him do that. I just don’t think it will produce long-term success. 

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I think that Colorado with Deion has a way easier path to success then Nebraska with Matt Rhule. I say that bc recruits will follow him and know of him. I don't think he would be where he us at in coaching just to quit once his son's are done playing. I don't think that is what drives him for success it's people that doubt him. Why go to Colorado if he could have went to a Florida school easier on having a recruiting base to win? It's bc he knows what he brings to the table and it doesn't matter where he goes he will win. 

They offered hm more guaranteed money.   And he has an ego, as all coaches do, and believes he can win anywhere, so he goes where the money is the best.  Not always the best fit

• Plus1 2

Deion goes from having a significantly more talented team then everyone he is playing to having a less talented team than everyone he is playing. Even doing his best recruiting job he will only have marginally more talent than most of the teams he plays. The gap narrows so much it is what seperates the men from the boys in the coaching game.

• TBH 2
Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

Deion goes to a place where he’s going to be the center of attention. I know he talks about what he’s done for his players, but it’s still all about him. CU will let him do that, and it’s worth the gamble for CU to let him do that. I just don’t think it will produce long-term success. 

We shall see. If he starts winning then watch the state get behind him and care for the team and University.

3 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

We shall see. If he starts winning then watch the state get behind him and care for the team and University.

Much of the state didn’t go to University of Colorado, as they have transplanted from other areas. Many of Colorado alumni live in California, as they moved back there after coming to Colorado for school. The Denver area is a pro-sports town and doesn’t care too much about CU or CSU football. People living in Boulder can be weird and have other stuff going on to care too much about CU football.

• TBH 2
1 hour ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Based on Jackson State?  Not saying he can’t, but I’d pump the brakes.  Let’s see him do it in P5 week after week.  

• Plus1 2
  • Mavric changed the title to Prime Time!!! - Deion Sanders Hired as Colorado Head Coach