Prime Time!!! - Deion Sanders Hired as Colorado Head Coach

Shiggity

2 hours ago, sho said:

They offered hm more guaranteed money.   And he has an ego, as all coaches do, and believes he can win anywhere, so he goes where the money is the best.  Not always the best fit

Deion Sanders said it himself its not about money as to why he chose Colorado and I knew it wasn't bc that's not what he cares about. He cares about making a impact on kids lives and also changing the narrative of being a African American Head Coach.

• Haha 4
2 hours ago, sho said:

Actually there's no tangible proof of that.  He's outclassed his opponents at a lower level.   And I have run out of fingers of successful coaches at a lower level that have absolutely ished the bed moving up to P5 coaching.   Heck, we just need to look at Scott Frost as a prime example of that.   He's proven he can recruit based on his name, he'll be able to recruit to Colorado, but he won't drastically out recruit Oregon or Washington (or USC and UCLA while they are in the Pac12) like he can in the SWAC and he we will see how he will do against Kyle Whittingham, Kalen DeBoer, or Dan Lanning.   He's a big question mark in terms of actual coaching ability, I think he's worth the risk, but there's a lot of risk with him.

The SWAC plays the MEAC in a bowl because those cons got sick of getting their asses kicked in the first round of the FCS playoffs. With his recruiting and connections it's not really that hard to win in the FCS's equivalent of the G5, big jump from that to winning in the P5 of FBS. I'm not saying Prime won't be a success, could be huge, but it's silly when folks act like he'd be a sure thing. 

• TBH 1

2 hours ago, talaricohusker said:

I’ve been trolling the CU boards and they think they will pencil whip Neb with Deion next year. Anyone nervous about this hire? I think coach Rhule is a way better pick then Deion but he’s doing to get a ton of media attention 

This year’s Colorado football team was like if you took Iowa’s terrible, unwatchable offense and gave them a terrible, unwatchable defense instead of one of the best in the country. And we beat Iowa. 

Going to need to see what his coaching staff looks like + the transfers he’s able to bring in before I get worried. His son is probably a better QB than they’ve had in decades but he won’t be enough to transform them into winners all of a sudden. And then of course, need to see what Rhule is able to do with the transfer portal.

In the grand scheme of things, it doesn’t matter if they beat us two more times. They took a chance on a risky, boom or bust HC because that was the best option for them. We hired the best coach for us in my opinion. The only thing I do know is that our matchups with them will absolutely crush viewership numbers and all those eyeballs will be good for the brand and in recruiting.

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Deion Sanders said it himself its not about money as to why he chose Colorado and I knew it wasn't bc that's not what he cares about. He cares about making a impact on kids lives and also changing the narrative of being a African American Head Coach.

I appreciate what Deion did at Jackson State as he tried to raise the profile and $ for a HBCU. However, if Deion isn’t about himself, why does he insist that everyone (including the media) calls him “Coach Prime”?  You can’t call him Coach Sanders, or if you know him personally, Deion, you have to him “Coach Prime”. That ego and narcissism may work in high school or the SWAC, but it won’t work long term in Power 5 college football. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1
42 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I appreciate what Deion did at Jackson State as he tried to raise the profile and $ for a HBCU. However, if Deion isn’t about himself, why does he insist that everyone (including the media) calls him “Coach Prime”?  You can’t call him Coach Sanders, or if you know him personally, Deion, you have to him “Coach Prime”. That ego and narcissism may work in high school or the SWAC, but it won’t work long term in Power 5 college football. 

are you joking? p5 coaches dont have egos or narcissism? hahahhahahhahaha

• Haha 1
  • TBH 2
2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

https://thespun.com/top-stories/deion-sanders-reveals-why-he-insists-on-being-called-coach

• Plus1 2

3 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Being called Coach Prime is Marketing 101 which is part of Recruiting 101.

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 2
  • Mavric changed the title to Prime Time!!! - Deion Sanders Hired as Colorado Head Coach