Prime Time!!! - Deion Sanders Hired as Colorado Head Coach

Shiggity

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

One of two things is going to happen. 

1) Sanders is going to turn CU around and have them end up in the playoffs. 

2) Sanders is going to totally flame out and be fired in 4-5 years.  

I don’t see any middle ground.  

Im leaning towards the latter. 

After watching what I watched and reading what I read ... 4-5 years seems like a stretch.  I would be surprised if he finishes year 3

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 3
42 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I watched the full video. He basically told the current players that he’s going to change things and I don’t think there is anything wrong with that. Nothing wrong with setting those expectations. It will be interesting how many guys he does run off, because it will be difficult to flip a whole roster through the transfer portal. He mentioned he will be bringing about 10 guys from Jackson State. While those players are talented, that’s a huge jump in competition for those guys. 

Except one of them was the #1 recruit in the country that he flipped from Florida State.

• Plus1 2
Just now, TheSker said:

Except one of them was the #1 recruit in the country that he flipped from Florida State.

I get it. I think Deion will upgrade their talent. But, I don’t think it will make CU much more talented than the rest of the PAC 12. Throw in the fact that he will be facing much better coaching and opponents, I think CU will still struggle, and what will Deion do then?

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 2

Interesting approach. They were terrible and I assume he said if you hire me this is what I am doing. Essentially both he and Rhule have to rebuild rosters. I strike Deion is going to completely upset the apple cart while Rhule is going to change some apples. Heck let's take some Colorado apples if they make sense. This is where I hope our staff can evaluate and build sustained team depth. Whereas Deion seems to be quick fix with I got the a better QB, a better RB than you and some other 5 star guys so I am beating you. Winning brings more winnings so if it works it will snowball for him but if it doesn’t work he’ll flame out. I’ll be really interested to see their recruiting ranking but wow he makes no bones about getting weak players out of there as he knows he can replace them with better ones. Totoise snd the hare approach. He’s going to jump out to a fast start and then we’ll see what the end rosters look like and how translates to the field with results.  CU has nothing to lose though. It’s boom or bust for them.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I get it. I think Deion will upgrade their talent. But, I don’t think it will make CU much more talented than the rest of the PAC 12. Throw in the fact that he will be facing much better coaching and opponents, I think CU will still struggle, and what will Deion do then?

This might be the first time I've heard the PAC 12 complimented in this manner.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I agree, he won't drastically out recruit Oregon or Washington, which was his biggest advantage in the SWAC.  Now the question is can he out X&O Deboer, Whittingham, Lanning?   If I had to place a wager, i'd say he won't.   I am curious as to how he will fill out his staff, but I have a feeling he will end up being all flash and no substance.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
4 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

Interesting approach. They were terrible and I assume he said if you hire me this is what I am doing. Essentially both he and Rhule have to rebuild rosters. I strike Deion is going to completely upset the apple cart while Rhule is going to change some apples. Heck let's take some Colorado apples if they make sense. This is where I hope our staff can evaluate and build sustained team depth. Whereas Deion seems to be quick fix with I got the a better QB, a better RB than you and some other 5 star guys so I am beating you. Winning brings more winnings so if it works it will snowball for him but if it doesn’t work he’ll flame out. I’ll be really interested to see their recruiting ranking but wow he makes no bones about getting weak players out of there as he knows he can replace them with better ones. Totoise snd the hare approach. He’s going to jump out to a fast start and then we’ll see what the end rosters look like and how translates to the field with results.  CU has nothing to lose though. It’s boom or bust for them.

If Deion coaches as well as he talks he should be all right. 

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The PAC 12 seems to have half good/great programs and half terrible programs, with 2 of the good/great programs on their way out after 1 more season. 

The top of that conference will still be good/great.  Washington, Oregon and Utah are all in great hands.   Can Deion make it 4?  Best case scenario I can see him making Colorado like Penn St, good/great but never really in conference championship consideration.   And if that happens, can Deion handle that?  I say no.  But I really don't even see best case scenario happening for Colorado.  I think he alienates the team and gets run out of there by year 3

11 minutes ago, sho said:

I agree, he won't drastically out recruit Oregon or Washington, which was his biggest advantage in the SWAC.  Now the question is can he out X&O Deboer, Whittingham, Lanning?   If I had to place a wager, i'd say he won't.   I am curious as to how he will fill out his staff, but I have a feeling he will end up being all flash and no substance.

I'm not about to underestimate what Sanders understands about recruiting.

Sanders new DL coach is from Texas A&M and is known as a recruiter.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
25 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Never underestimate the power of having the right sunglasses...That's been known to do the trick for a number of professionals!

• Haha 1
7 minutes ago, TheSker said:

I'm not about to underestimate what Sanders understands about recruiting.

Sanders new DL coach is from Texas A&M and is known as a recruiter.

Elijah Robinson?   Is that official?    He's a good get if he goes to Colorado  

And it has nothing to do with underestimating him, he will get talent based on name alone.  At least early on.   But he won't be head and shoulders above Oregon or Washington.   He may be get slightly better classes, but he won't have major talent advantages.  He won't be having a 5* when no one else has a 3*.  That'll be a big change for him.

3 minutes ago, sho said:

And it has nothing to do with underestimating him, he will get talent based on name alone.  At least early on.   But he won't be head and shoulders above Oregon or Washington.   He may be get slightly better classes, but he won't have major talent advantages.  He won't be having a 5* when no one else has a 3*.  That'll be a big change for him.

No it was an analyst at TAMU

3 minutes ago, sho said:

Nick Williams

Other than Lincoln Riley occasionally who in the PAC 12 gets 5*s?

• Plus1 1
  • Mavric changed the title to Prime Time!!! - Deion Sanders Hired as Colorado Head Coach