Prime Time!!! - Deion Sanders Hired as Colorado Head Coach

Shiggity

20 hours ago, sho said:

I agree, he won't drastically out recruit Oregon or Washington, which was his biggest advantage in the SWAC.  Now the question is can he out X&O Deboer, Whittingham, Lanning?   If I had to place a wager, i'd say he won't.   I am curious as to how he will fill out his staff, but I have a feeling he will end up being all flash and no substance.

His hype and name alone will out recruit them this year.  Dude is on a mission.  HIs message is resonating.  I follow him on social media.  I can imagine it (his viewers) will increase when he gets to a P5 school.  Like he said, "I'm coming".

3 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Congrats to Tim Beck, taking over a new stepping stone program

https://theathletic.com/3967337/2022/12/04/coastal-carolina-tim-beck-nc-state/

he's done some good stuff since leaving NU.  In hindsight, with more support from the front office, Bo might still be here...

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
  • TBH 1
16 minutes ago, sho said:

No, I think he’ll recruit well in Colorado.  But he’s not the only one that recruits well.  And not the only one o the Pac12/10/8 that recruits well.  And he’s proven zero in terms of coaching.  We’ll see how his staff shakes out and how they X & O.  There are quality teams and coaches in the PAC.  I’m saying pump the brakes on anointing him and let him actually show he knows how to coach.  Right now he’s gotten by habit way better talent.  He won’t have that advantage now. 

I'm not anointing anything. All I'm saying is Deion Sanders will I have zero issue recruiting and he will easily out recruit Washington. 

I willing to bet you watched zero JSU games. I'm also willing to bet you watched zero SWAC games. I will also bet you have no idea what the class rankings looked like. You are in no place to say Deion only won because of better talent.

I assume you're saying Deion has proven nothing because he didn't do it at a p5. Has Matt Rhule proved anything? He only has 3 years at a p5 with a losing,19-20, record. The last time I filled out an application it asked how much experience do you have? 0-3, 3-5, 5-10, or 10+

• Haha 3
19 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

What we need is a “Let’s all blow Prime” thread. We needed it during the coaching search and apparently we need it now that he’s going to CU.

Well now that he's going to CU, we need a thread where the Deion haters admit they underestimated him. 

If you like excitement and recruits and a fundamental program change, Boulder might have the edge.

If you had to lay money on that Nebraska vs, Colorado game next September......

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 1

1 minute ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Well now that he's going to CU, we need a thread where the Deion haters admit they underestimated him. 

If you like excitement and recruits and a fundamental program change, Boulder might have the edge.

If i had to lay money down, it would be colorado.  s#!t most of you guys are saying we wont win more than 2 games next year.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
44 minutes ago, hunnit said:

I'm not anointing anything. All I'm saying is Deion Sanders will I have zero issue recruiting and he will easily out recruit Washington. 

I willing to bet you watched zero JSU games. I'm also willing to bet you watched zero SWAC games. I will also bet you have no idea what the class rankings looked like. You are in no place to say Deion only won because of better talent.

I assume you're saying Deion has proven nothing because he didn't do it at a p5. Has Matt Rhule proved anything? He only has 3 years at a p5 with a losing,19-20, record. The last time I filled out an application it asked how much experience do you have? 0-3, 3-5, 5-10, or 10+

I'd be surprised if most fans knew more than 3-4 HBCUs so criticizing @sho for saying that Deion will now have to compete with more equally supported programs is not wise. I assure you that most football fans couldn't name players in the SWAC that didn't have the last name Hunter or Sanders. There is a reason that the HBCUs are "buy" games for P5 programs after all. Deion has proven that he can attract highly touted players and get attention to his career. These players did win over the lesser known and less touted players at other schools. However, that does not show Deion as a coach, only as a recruiter. Without Google, can you share two or three players from HBCUs that we should know about? 

I would advise against trying to compare Deion and Rhule too closely as during those three years at a Power 5 school, Rhule took Baylor to the Sugar Bowl. I don't know whether he will work out at Nebraska, but his track record is more proven than Deion at this point. It will either be a success and Colorado becomes relevant on the field, or it will be a failure and he'll jump ship in 3-4 years. 

• Thanks 1
  • TBH 1
11 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

What does it prove that he went to Colorado? It proves that none of the real CFB players wanted him. 

It's not even hating on him to say he has not proven anything in terms of coaching. He has barely even coached. Every other top level coach worked up through assistant roles before becoming a major HC. Do we have any confidence that he can correct his coordinators if they need it? He says some coach speak that pretty much every other coach says. Hey he wants players to give it there all. I cant believe no coach has thought of that. Let's see what he does when he has to have a chess match with someone that has actually been doing it at a high level. 

I don't really see anyone saying he sux just that you have no idea. Do you know what he actually wants the product on the field to look like?  He just hasn't proven anything at all really outside of recruiting. On field he has proven he is one of 100s of coaches that have won at lower levels and he did it with a bigger talent gap than any of them by far. It's possible he is a great coach but it's a huge huge guess at this point. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 2
3 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

I'd be surprised if most fans knew more than 3-4 HBCUs so criticizing @sho for saying that Deion will now have to compete with more equally supported programs is not wise. I assure you that most football fans couldn't name players in the SWAC that didn't have the last name Hunter or Sanders. There is a reason that the HBCUs are "buy" games for P5 programs after all. Deion has proven that he can attract highly touted players and get attention to his career. These players did win over the lesser known and less touted players at other schools. However, that does not show Deion as a coach, only as a recruiter. Without Google, can you share two or three players from HBCUs that we should know about? 

I would advise against trying to compare Deion and Rhule too closely as during those three years at a Power 5 school, Rhule took Baylor to the Sugar Bowl. I don't know whether he will work out at Nebraska, but his track record is more proven than Deion at this point. It will either be a success and Colorado becomes relevant on the field, or it will be a failure and he'll jump ship in 3-4 years. 

Point is, you will never know until they play the games.

That's why the history of high risk hires and "sure-thing" hires isn't always clear cut. 

4 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

What does it prove that he went to Colorado? It proves that none of the real CFB players wanted him. 

If I remember my ancient history, a sizable portion of HB posters were unaware that Deion Sanders had become a legitimate P5 HC candidate. They thought a couple HB posters had just pulled him out of their a$$. 

• Plus1 3

11 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

I'd be surprised if most fans knew more than 3-4 HBCUs so criticizing @sho for saying that Deion will now have to compete with more equally supported programs is not wise

Nahh he's getting criticized because he said Deion won in the SWAC because of a talent gap but has absolutely zero knowledge on the conference. 

• Haha 1
Just now, hunnit said:

Nahh he's getting criticized because he said Deion won in the SWAC because of a talent gap but has absolutely zero knowledge on the conference. 

Again I ask, can you name 2-3 high quality players from the conference that don’t have the last name Sanders or Hunter? 

Is it fair or unfair to say that Jackson State had more talent than their peers in the SWAC?

35 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I think everyone knew Deion has flash and hype, which is all that's happened at this point. Remains to be seen how he does as a P5 HC. 

35 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I think it's a coin flip, especially since we don't even know the coaching staffs yet, I'd give Colorado a slight advantage as the home team. Same thing I'd say no matter who got hired.

• Plus1 2
  • Mavric changed the title to Prime Time!!! - Deion Sanders Hired as Colorado Head Coach