Prime Time!!! - Deion Sanders Hired as Colorado Head Coach

Shiggity

5 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

If you're in the middle on this, like I am, the only thing funnier than watching Husker fans fellate Deion Sanders is watching other Husker fans s#!t their pants at the mere thought of him coming to Lincoln.

This is quite the strawman. Who is s#!tting their pants about Sanders possibly coming to Lincoln? I'm not seeing them. And even if there are a few, are they s#!tting their pants any more than other posters about any other coach coming to Lincoln?

5 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

If the decision was up to me I would have gone the Trev route, too. Rhule and Fickle probably the top choices, Deion not in serious consideration. 

But if my top choices turn me down and I'm looking at a pool of Campbell and O'Brien and Leipold and Mickey Joseph and even Lane Kiffin, I'm suddenly thinking Deion Sanders brings a better chance of change and hope. No great coach succeeded at the D1 level until he did.

As noted in an earlier post, 75% of the hottest coaching hires in the 2014 and 2018 cycle that got us Riley and Frost are no longer head coaches. Nobody knows how any coach is going to do until the games are played. If you listen to the folks who follow college football closely, Deion Sanders has earned the consideration, probably over-hyped but in no way a foolish choice. 

Who is disagreeing with you? I'm not - I in fact agree with everything you said here. I have said Sanders is a flashy hire but very risky because he doesn't have the coaching track record to back it up with a total of 2 years college coaching experience - and both of those years are not even in D1A. But even with all of those risks, I still think he's a good hire for CU because they desperately need some hype - and Sanders 100% brings that.

The funny thing here is the posters who with near certainty think Sanders will succeed at the highest level at CU.

• Plus1 3

57 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

The funny thing here is the posters who with near certainty think Sanders will succeed at the highest level at CU.

The funny thing to me, well actually the disgusting thing, is that we have Husker fans (and non-fans/trolls visiting us as well) in here fawning all over freaking Colorado's coach.

Regardless of who CU's coach is...this is Huskerboard. F&cK Colorado.

Listen, I'm not saying we can't talk about other teams, other coaches, or whatever, and the coaching carousel has certainly kept us all entertained this season, but the bottom line is...F&CK COLORADO.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 1
On 12/3/2022 at 10:34 PM, ColoradoHusk said:

Deion coaching in the SWAC makes it difficult because SWAC teams don’t compete in the FCS playoffs, so it’s tough to tell how competitive that conference is.  I give Deion credit for being 12-0 at Jackson State this year, but it’s not like they are facing the same teams like the Dakotas, the Montanas, and other FCS powers. 

I never understood why the SWAC, MEAC and Ivy don't do the playoffs. Why wouldn't you want to go for a national championship. 

16 minutes ago, Ulty said:

The funny thing to me, well actually the disgusting thing, is that we have Husker fans (and non-fans/trolls visiting us as well) in here fawning all over freaking Colorado's coach.

This thread has also unfortunately re-established something we've all seen before - there are pockets of the fan base that would rather be right than to see Nebraska succeed. Or, at the very least, they act like this is how they feel.

I've said the following several times in recent months, but I think it's worth repeating - this is why we play the games. Fans have a habit of either overly celebrating, or being devastated by, things that happen in the off-season. And many Nebraska fans have latched on this and become exceptionally good at competing for offseason national championships in the last couple decades.

I'm continuously amazed at how people let something like Deion Sanders going to Colorado get under their skin, while less sexy/dramatic programs like friggin Purdue are competing for conference titles.

• TBH 2
36 minutes ago, Enhance said:

This thread has also unfortunately re-established something we've all seen before - there are pockets of the fan base that would rather be right than to see Nebraska succeed. Or, at the very least, they act like this is how they feel.

I've said the following several times in recent months, but I think it's worth repeating - this is why we play the games. Fans have a habit of either overly celebrating, or being devastated by, things that happen in the off-season. And many Nebraska fans have latched on this and become exceptionally good at competing for offseason national championships in the last couple decades.

I'm continuously amazed at how people let something like Deion Sanders going to Colorado get under their skin, while less sexy/dramatic programs like friggin Purdue are competing for conference titles.

You forgot to say f#%k Colorado.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, RedDenver said:

This is quite the strawman. Who is s#!tting their pants about Sanders possibly coming to Lincoln? I'm not seeing them. And even if there are a few, are they s#!tting their pants any more than other posters about any other coach coming to Lincoln?

I see a total of one insane and inarticulate Nebraska-hater rooting for Sanders to defeat us.

But I moseyed into multiple threads today where multiple Deion-likers were referred to as fanboys, trolls, fellatio-givers and possibly members of a covert social media operation to sell Sanders to unsuspecting fan-bases. And that was before Colorado hired him. I tried to read it as playful mockery, but the Deion hate has been pretty frothy for a couple months now. Please don't make me post it. 

I'm also not seeing much total certainty that Sanders will succeed at the highest level, just that he's a lot more interesting than Matt Campbell and probably deserved a P5 shot. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, Ulty said:

Listen, I'm not saying we can't talk about other teams, other coaches, or whatever, and the coaching carousel has certainly kept us all entertained this season, but the bottom line is...F&CK COLORADO.

To each their own I suppose...

Peculiar how there are many posts on such topics as Deion Sanders, Urban Meyer and more recently in relation to Joseph's arrest by members that aren't typically seen elsewhere on the forum in relation to the football team. Most of them hardly ever participate in the game day threads either.

It seems these folks drop in mainly for specific topics or have an agenda then are seldom seen elsewhere. And poof they're gone. That's the impression I get anyway. Sort of odd. 

• Plus1 2
50 minutes ago, M.A. said:

And as for Deion Sanders, all the drama and bravado is a little much. The verdict is out on how well he does. 

As it is for every new coaching hire. History suggests there will be plenty of disappointments and surprises. All we got for the next nine months is speculation and hope. 

• Fire 1

36 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

As it is for every new coaching hire. History suggests there will be plenty of disappointments and surprises. All we got for the next nine months is speculation and hope

Life in a nutshell. A few catastrophes and bright spots mixed in here and there too. Lol 

7 hours ago, Ulty said:

giphy.gif

• Oh Yeah! 1

I have mixed feeling on Sanders getting hired.  On one hand, P5 is sorely lacking black head coaches and as much as it pains me to say this, CU has done a nice job in that arena with their past few hires.  

My biggest questions with the Sanders hire will be...how will he deal with losing?  Will he accept responsibility or pass the buck to the players?  We all sat through that with HCSF and you can get away with that line in year 1 and maybe year 2 but after that, it's pretty stale (and frankly I think it's a BS line because you're the HC making $5+mm).  I don't think he's taking Colorado to 26-2 in his first couple years and if he does, Colorado will build a freaking statue of him.  The other thing is and it's difficult for me to articulate this without coming across like I'm being a hater is...Deion has always struck me as a guy that is all about Deion and if other things happen to overlap with that, that's cool.  I don't begrudge him for leaving Jackson State to take the CU job but by him using the language of, "God told me it was time to leave" is such a cop out/spin cycle answer that is designed to shut down any questioning.  

A tip of the cap to CU for pulling off this hire and they have made themselves nationally relevant.  Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to make myself throw up for typing quasi nice things about CU.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Xmas32 said:

I have mixed feeling on Sanders getting hired.  On one hand, P5 is sorely lacking black head coaches and as much as it pains me to say this, CU has done a nice job in that arena with their past few hires.  

My biggest questions with the Sanders hire will be...how will he deal with losing?  Will he accept responsibility or pass the buck to the players?  We all sat through that with HCSF and you can get away with that line in year 1 and maybe year 2 but after that, it's pretty stale (and frankly I think it's a BS line because you're the HC making $5+mm).  I don't think he's taking Colorado to 26-2 in his first couple years and if he does, Colorado will build a freaking statue of him.  The other thing is and it's difficult for me to articulate this without coming across like I'm being a hater is...Deion has always struck me as a guy that is all about Deion and if other things happen to overlap with that, that's cool.  I don't begrudge him for leaving Jackson State to take the CU job but by him using the language of, "God told me it was time to leave" is such a cop out/spin cycle answer that is designed to shut down any questioning.  

A tip of the cap to CU for pulling off this hire and they have made themselves nationally relevant.  Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to make myself throw up for typing quasi nice things about CU.

A convenient means of not taking ownership of the choice.

If he wants to pursue another opportunity or achieve a goal say it. 

• Plus1 1