Prime Time!!! - Deion Sanders Hired as Colorado Head Coach

Shiggity

Coach Prime putting his staff together 

“Kelly has been at Alabama for the past four seasons. He was the defensive coordinator at Florida State under Jimbo Fisher from 2014-17 and spent one season at Tennessee in 2018 as special teams coordinator and safeties coach before going to Alabama”

got a Saban dude.  Can’t say nothin but Prime attracts talent, potentially. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

6 hours ago, M.A. said:

It will be interesting to see if Rhule can do as good of a job finding over-looked great talent vs Coach Prime recruiting highly rated great talent. It may take three or four years to know. But it wouldn’t surprise me if the first two years that Deion will have more seasoned talent, as it will take Rhule a bit longer to develop the more raw talent. That is of course is “IF” and hopefully Rhule recruits as well by finding as good of talent from really good evaluation with diamonds in the rough, which won’t look as pretty and sexy on paper and not ranked as high in the polls. So the question is can Rhule break the trend of the top-ranked  teams also having the top- ranked recruiting classes? Stay tune. 

• Fire 1

Coach Prime may end up being better. But it's not that easy to evaluate this. There are a lot of grey areas. First off, from Nebraska's perspective in not hiring the guy,

Coach Prime is intense. He has a certain edge to him that some perceive as cocky and some as confident. If you bring a guy like that in and he does not succeed, you look like a fool. There is a lot to lose. It's a gamble that Colorado was willing to take. Trev was not.

Also, Coach Prime might be in Boulder for a few years and then bolt for a big SEC opportunity. That would leave Colorado back at square one, especially since guys would follow Coach Prime from CU to wherever, just like some will follow him from Jackson State to CU. Nebraska wanted a longer-term solution and felt Coach Prime would not be in for the long haul.

Coach Ruhle may work. He may not. Coach Prime might shine at Colorado. He may still be a bust. 

Trev played it safe. If that is rewarded, we will thank him for it. But if it doesn't, I think we should all acknowledge that Coach Prime's success at Colorado will look like it had always been assured when it wasn't at all.

Prime isn't a sure thing and even if he comes through, he'll make as much sense as putting a bunch of money on an underdog to win outright. Hey, it works sometimes, but that doesn't mean that smart money makes that play.

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 1

4 hours ago, Pennhusker said:

I hope i’m wrong but i seee deion having more success than rhule. Not sure if he was an option for us or not, but all i read about is the great talent going to the buffaloes I think we blew it w our coaching decision but hopefully i’m wrong

How is CU going to afford all these 4 & 5 stars that will be going to play for Sanders when they don't even have the money at this point to pay his salary? Maybe they are like all of the fans that are so infatuated with Sanders they will forego the 6 figure NIL deals other schools will offer and play for free?

• Plus1 2

I know this is a Matt Rhule thread......but as we compare Prime to Rhule, as stated above, Rhule was the proven and safer hire.  Would I have been excited about Prime,  YOU DARN RIGHT....but it would have been been with caution though.   I truly believe that Prime will only be at CU for 3 years.  He will win, or at least show drastic improvement, then will get a SEC offer.  I stated this when he was mentioned as a candidate for our opening.  He hates the cold weather.  He said that when he was a player.  He was shivering in the video of his initial tour of the stadium.  I love his energy, enthusiasm, beliefs, etc.... but it is uncertain how it will all play out, especially 3 years from now.

* I am NOT a fan of him having his son stand up and introducing him as "here is your QB". 

• Plus1 1
47 minutes ago, HANC said:

I know this is a Matt Rhule thread......but as we compare Prime to Rhule, as stated above, Rhule was the proven and safer hire.  Would I have been excited about Prime,  YOU DARN RIGHT....but it would have been been with caution though.   I truly believe that Prime will only be at CU for 3 years.  He will win, or at least show drastic improvement, then will get a SEC offer.  I stated this when he was mentioned as a candidate for our opening.  He hates the cold weather.  He said that when he was a player.  He was shivering in the video of his initial tour of the stadium.  I love his energy, enthusiasm, beliefs, etc.... but it is uncertain how it will all play out, especially 3 years from now.

* I am NOT a fan of him having his son stand up and introducing him as "here is your QB". 

he did follow that up by saying he would have to earn it as would the other QBs

• Plus1 2
31 minutes ago, HANC said:

He hired Charles Kelly - co-defensive coordinator at Alabama to be his DC. - stole from Bama - damn

Sean Lewis - head coach at Kent State to be his Offensive Coordinator - got a stting head coach to accept a coordinator role - damn

Tim Brewster- Former Minnesota Head Coach and lifelong TE at places like (Texas, Chargers, Broncos, Florida State, Texas A & M, and Florida) coach to coach TEs

The knock on Deion was that he didn't have any power 5 coaching experience. If he brings in Taggart as is rumored, that will be three former power five head coaches on staff, plus a DC who has worked most recently under Saban, Jeremy Pruitt, Jimbo Fisher, and Paul Johnson. If someone knew this was the quality of staff Dieon was going to bring in- I think we'd be punching Trev in the face for not pursuing him. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

I’m not calling anyone out because everyone deserves to have their opinion, but we hired a guy who is widely regarded as the safest star option hire this cycle. Most sites have him as an A+ hire for a reason. He is a superstar college head coach.

If, big if, Deion Sanders ends up doing an amazing job at Colorado, the teams who should feel dumb are Auburn and Georgia Tech. Those schools could have easily landed him but their boosters weren’t okay with it. Early returns look good for Colorado and Deion, good for them, but we got our coach.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1