Prime Time!!! - Deion Sanders Hired as Colorado Head Coach

Shiggity

So here is Deion hawking sweatshirts. This makes me think of a few things...

1. CU is so irrelevant as a brand, that they need the flashy new coach to put his name on march to sell anything. It's working for now, I guess.

2. CU is so broke that they need Deion to tweet informercials to sell merch in order to raise funds. We have already heard that they didn't have enough $$$ to pay his salary and they don't really have an NIL program.

3. To the extent that Deion is doing everything that he can to give a rub to CU and draw some attention, it is somewhat admirable I guess. He is working hard in the best way that he knows how: self-promotion.

4. Deion's whole tenure at CU is going to be about Deion, not about CU. That may attract some kids in the short term but there is no way this ends well for CU as an institution. No one cares about CU, they just want to see Prime Time.

5. F&#K CU.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
  • TBH 4

3 hours ago, The Murphinator said:

This tweet is true, but also a bit misleading.  Sanders OC is being named receivers coach and his DC, Dennis Thurman is going to an analyst role.

For those few of us old enough to remember, Dennis Thurman is a USC and Dallas Cowboy legend and former NFL DC.

Sanders OC who is now receivers coach was a Mike Leach referral.

• Plus1 1

According to The Athletic, CU's AD was calling recruits and telling them that their scholarship was going to be honored regardless of who the new coach ended up being.

Then Sanders gets hired, and shortly thereafter, an associate AD called several recruits and told them their scholarship was being redacted. At least 13 prior commits are no longer a part of their commitment list now.

What a s#!t show.

• Plus1 5
  • Haha 3
3 minutes ago, Enhance said:

According to The Athletic, CU's AD was calling recruits and telling them that their scholarship was going to be honored regardless of who the new coach ended up being.

Then Sanders gets hired, and shortly thereafter, an associate AD called several recruits and told them their scholarship was being redacted. At least 13 prior commits are no longer a part of their commitment list now.

What a s#!t show.

I really don't blame Sanders from moving on from the recruits, it was a terrible class and he can and should do better. But pretty scummy of the AD to beg the recruits to stay and tell them the scholarships would be honored in the first place. I know he probably didn't realize he'd get a coach who could recruit, but still. That's some BS, and the only repercussion for him is probably some parents yelling at him.

I also don't think it would have been difficult for Deion or an assistant to call and tell them - he clearly has no problem calling them talentless in a press conference, do it to their face if you're not keeping the offer. He really can't be bothered people that he thinks are below his standards, and I think that plus the (mostly earned) ego will come back to bite him in the college game. But it's going to be interesting to watch, and that's better than CU has been doing.

• Plus1 4
3 hours ago, TheSker said:

This tweet is true, but also a bit misleading.  Sanders OC is being named receivers coach and his DC, Dennis Thurman is going to an analyst role.

For those few of us old enough to remember, Dennis Thurman is a USC and Dallas Cowboy legend and former NFL DC.

Sanders OC who is now receivers coach was a Mike Leach referral.

I for one am glad we have somebody that is up to date with the ins & outs and machinations of everything CU and Deion Sanders. I doubt CU has any of their own fans that seem to know as much as you do about what they’re up to :thumbs

• Plus1 2
54 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I for one am glad we have somebody that is up to date with the ins & outs and machinations of everything CU and Deion Sanders. I doubt CU has any of their own fans that seem to know as much as you do about what they’re up to :thumbs

I get my info (and my tickets) from two of my friends....one is a former CU basketball player and the other is an attorney and graduate of CU law school.

They are both great guys and have made sure I have tickets and parking at their tailgates......even though I wander over to Harvest House instead.

• Plus1 2

37 minutes ago, TheSker said:

I get my info (and my tickets) from two of my friends....one is a former CU basketball player and the other is an attorney and graduate of CU law school.

They are both great guys and have made sure I have tickets and parking at their tailgates......even though I wander over to Harvest House instead.

Harvest House is always a lot of fun. It’s like downtown Lincoln in that place. If there’s another place all the Nebraska fans flock to in Boulder, I don’t know where that would be.

15 minutes ago, AZRaiderH8r said:

I'm almost afraid to ask this question, but how is CU doing with recruits today? Any big news?

3 minutes ago, GSG said:

Right now, 247 has their class 10th in the Pac12, 52nd overall. 

They have flipped a few guys though, and the #1 CB in the country (Miami commit) is delaying his signing. It's a pretty safe bet he'll end up at CU. So definitely not dominating but they are doing better than I'd like.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2