What did we learn? Michigan edition.

TGHusker

1 minute ago, Savage Husker said:

I’m there with you to a degree, but gotta build depth though, part of why this team sucks. 

Yes, I agree that there needs depth to be built.  I am not saying to boot all of the players.  But, I don't get the thoughts that NU won't be able to replace a guy like Palmer or Grant.  I think that depth is built by high school recruiting and development and sprinkling in transfers at certain positions.  There also needs to be established identity for the entire team (not just offense) and the expectation that everything for the program is geared towards that identity.

25 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Yep.  Need a big name/big accomplishment guy - someone who knows how to build from the ground up.  It seems like the fan based  has been left  at the altar as while the groom Frost runs off with all of the wedding gifts, the bank accounts and his secret lover (booze or whatever that was more important than actually coaching).  

Great quote from Chadwell talking he's had to develop at every spot he's been to.  Hard to recruit the guys the P5 get some he develops the players and the culture....

35 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

When I have watched games in the past, I would clap or yell (for good and bad) and my dog doesn't like the loud noises and she hides up in my bedroom.  Today's game went exactly as I expected, and my dog stayed sleeping on the couch next to me for the entire game.  There was no use having any emotion watching today's game, and maybe even any of the 2 remaining games.

Literally was folding laundry while watching it...had a couple "of course" mental murmurs during...stopped watching at 31-3

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, lo country said:

Great quote from Chadwell talking he's had to develop at every spot he's been to.  Hard to recruit the guys the P5 get some he develops the players and the culture....

Yep, I remember that quote.    I have this question now:  Why would any of the existing P5 coaches who have been named come here?  Why would a winning P5 coach give up their growing program to take on this mess?  Aranda, Kkeiman, Leopold, Kiffin, etc - what incentive to leave other than money?  Maybe Frost came for the money; but most coaches I think move for other reasons.  The 12 team playoff makes it easier for all to stay in their existing conference.  To resurrect a 'blueblood"? Why would that matter to any one when they want to create a blueblood where they are at? 

I say/ask all of that to say that this might fall back to an up and comer like Chadwell or an OC like O'Brien who wants to return to the HC position again.  

4 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Yep, I remember that quote.    I have this question now:  Why would any of the existing P5 coaches who have been named come here?  Why would a winning P5 coach give up their growing program to take on this mess?  Aranda, Kkeiman, Leopold, Kiffin, etc - what incentive to leave other than money?  Maybe Frost came for the money; but most coaches I think move for other reasons.  The 12 team playoff makes it easier for all to stay in their existing conference.  To resurrect a 'blueblood"? Why would that matter to any one when they want to create a blueblood where they are at? 

I say/ask all of that to say that this might fall back to an up and comer like Chadwell or an OC like O'Brien who wants to return to the HC position again.  

To be famous in Nebraska?

25 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I'd think the following fit the bill of not coaching now, Rhule (but being paid like $40million a year to stay at the house), Urb, Patterson.  I heard about the Aranda rumor, but the only thing he would have to gain/lose would be abject failure or being known as the guy who did what no one since TO did.  Win at a hella great rate.  Or maybe he is our next Bo, and I'd be good with that, until I wasn't.  

Then like you said, you go for a P5 guy. IMHO, Chadwell is the next Norvell or Napier.  FSU and UF both took chances on them.  UF (year 1) is 3-4 conference and 6-4 overall and FSU year 3 is 3-6/5-7/6-3.....UF much better position than FSU.  I'd take 6-3 right now in a heart beat TBH.

1 minute ago, Hagg said:

I learned that being angry about missed and half missed tackles gets offset at times by seeing how much time that D has to be out there due to 3 and outs by our anemic offense.  

We simply have no quality depth behind the starters on either side.  Significantly more drop off on the O side IMO.  But those guys on D can't go 80 snaps and be as fresh on snap 1 to snap 80.....And a lot of times, probably more often than not, 3 and outs and right back out there....Another glaring failure that no coach could fix  starting in game 4...

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, chamrocck said:

Yep, I’m starting to agree with this. We can’t get wrapped up in the players on the roster right now. Some will make it and some will not. We need to have a laser focus on improving the roster with talent and depth. Sure I like certain players but none of them are off the charts difference makers. Palmer had a flashy game in a shootout game but has not done much since then. Grant has looked pedestrian against good B1G teams. Nelson should be better by now and is a good player but not a great difference maker. We need to go to the next level and get a coach who can get us there. 

There is no one on this team with the game on the line that I'd demand to be out there. Not one.  No eraser.  No guy who by force of will can make something happen.  IMO, we haven't seen anyone close to that since Bo was here.  Maybe dude was an a$$, but the players took on his "us against the world" and it showed.  IMHO, he was failed because the admn wanted him gone from day 1.  no support.  We currently do not have any DUDES on the roster.  At least none developed.....

2 minutes ago, lo country said:

There is no one on this team with the game on the line that I'd demand to be out there. Not one.  No eraser.  No guy who by force of will can make something happen.  IMO, we haven't seen anyone close to that since Bo was here.  Maybe dude was an a$$, but the players took on his "us against the world" and it showed.  IMHO, he was failed because the admn wanted him gone from day 1.  no support.  We currently do not have any DUDES on the roster.  At least none developed.....

Kiffen/Deion/Aranda.  To me these guys can bring back relevancy faster than others.  We need a big hire.

• Haha 1
8 minutes ago, lo country said:

We simply have no quality depth behind the starters on either side.  Significantly more drop off on the O side IMO.  But those guys on D can't go 80 snaps and be as fresh on snap 1 to snap 80.....And a lot of times, probably more often than not, 3 and outs and right back out there....Another glaring failure that no coach could fix  starting in game 4...

A few games ago, I saw that NU’s D had faced 12 more plays per game above the average in FBS football. Over the course of the season, that translates to 2 additional games for the defense. Combine this high volume of plays faced, along with a terrible lack of depth, it’s no wonder the D has struggled with tackling, holding the line against good o-lines, and injuries.

• Plus1 3
2 hours ago, KCBuc said:

1 butt cheek = player down

ball out of bounds = ball in bounds 

Crown of helmet to the taint = not a penalty.

Also the recovering player's right hand was out of bounds when he first touched the ball. I'm pretty sure that makes it dead and a touchback.