What did we learn? Michigan edition.

TGHusker

1 minute ago, chamrocck said:

Kiffen/Deion/Aranda.  To me these guys can bring back relevancy faster than others.  We need a big hire.

I can't disagree at all.  Need to be that "wow hire" that NU isn't messing around.  To get a quick(er) turn around.  Name recognition could get guys in ASAP that have been alluding NU for years.  I would assume, that Aranda would keep MJ and BB (I think D has improved under BB considering the hand he was dealt)  *Still would like Chadwell, but his build would be slower as he'd have to win to get guys "N".

Be interesting to see who we get.  Reading the board, since Frost was fired, I think there will be some division and WTH's depending on what "tribe" you are currently with.   Frost was the universal feel good hire that few if any didn't like.  This hire, IMHO, will not be like this at all. 

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Yes, I agree that there needs depth to be built.  I am not saying to boot all of the players.  But, I don't get the thoughts that NU won't be able to replace a guy like Palmer or Grant.  I think that depth is built by high school recruiting and development and sprinkling in transfers at certain positions.  There also needs to be established identity for the entire team (not just offense) and the expectation that everything for the program is geared towards that identity.

Yeah I agree with your points here. I said similar about transfers over the last several seasons. Not saying this to put words in your mouth, but since it’s been brought up, the part I’m focusing on here is finding a coaching staff that isn’t revolving talent like Palmer, JD, Wandale. I’m a believer in letting kids transfer out to bring someone in who wants to be here, but the culture established by the  coach needs to limit these instances from reoccurring. I have Frost the benefit of the doubt thinking that guys needed to go, but maybe it was his style that alienated and ushered kids out who really needed a different message to stick around. The Farnioks, Gates, and even some of the guys who decided to leave early last year like Jurgens, Rogers, Daniels and Thomas.

Again, not putting these words in your mouth, but that’s what I’m now sitting back wondering what coulda been if we hadn’t experienced all of those kids transferring out…or leaving early. 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

Yeah I agree with your points here. I said similar about transfers over the last several seasons. Not saying this to put words in your mouth, but since it’s been brought up, the part I’m focusing on here is finding a coaching staff that isn’t revolving talent like Palmer, JD, Wandale. I’m a believer in letting kids transfer out to bring someone in who wants to be here, but the culture established by the  coach needs to limit these instances from reoccurring. I have Frost the benefit of the doubt thinking that guys needed to go, but maybe it was his style that alienated and ushered kids out who really needed a different message to stick around. The Farnioks, Gates, and even some of the guys who decided to leave early last year like Jurgens, Rogers, Daniels and Thomas.

Again, not putting these words in your mouth, but that’s what I’m now sitting back wondering what coulda been if we hadn’t experienced all of those kids transferring out…or leaving early. 

I remember Frost creating some drama when Farnioks brother was demoted so Cam could move to center.  Also some grumblings that some guys were treated differently than others.  Mo Washington got some passes stat Mills (IIRC) didn't get.  I think a lot of the culture issues were Frost's tbh.  

4 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

I wouldn't wonder too long because we have never put together any kind of offensive line.  Those players wouldn't have had much success here.  We have overvalued Palmer.  He is not a game changer in this current offensive set.  This team needed him last week, and again this week, and he just drops the ball.  We need to reshape this roster with players who want to be Huskers, and with talent.  Have we really had a big time player that wanted to be here for the program first over themselves?  Anyway, we have to have someone who can build lines on both sides of the ball first.  We need roster builders.

12 minutes ago, lo country said:

I can't disagree at all.  Need to be that "wow hire" that NU isn't messing around.  To get a quick(er) turn around.  Name recognition could get guys in ASAP that have been alluding NU for years.  I would assume, that Aranda would keep MJ and BB (I think D has improved under BB considering the hand he was dealt)  *Still would like Chadwell, but his build would be slower as he'd have to win to get guys "N".

Be interesting to see who we get.  Reading the board, since Frost was fired, I think there will be some division and WTH's depending on what "tribe" you are currently with.   Frost was the universal feel good hire that few if any didn't like.  This hire, IMHO, will not be like this at all. 

Unfortunately I think you are correct on the head coach being a split with the fans. No fault of MJs but a split really developed around his interim position. I wish Trev had put someone in there that was not going to be a candidate. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Slow yer Roll said:

That Means he cares bout MJ

There's  reason for that.

I don't know what that reason is.

Not a snarky " I don't know"

Just a face value I don't know.

Probably couldn't stand our previous head coach. Can relate with what Mickey and the team has gone through. This isn't a street fight where it's necessary to actually kill the the opponent to survive. (Lol)

• TBH 1
23 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

A few games ago, I saw that NU’s D had faced 12 more plays per game above the average in FBS football. Over the course of the season, that translates to 2 additional games for the defense. Combine this high volume of plays faced, along with a terrible lack of depth, it’s no wonder the D has struggled with tackling, holding the line against good o-lines, and injuries.

WOW!!!!!  That's a great find.  Appreciate you sharing that. Explains a lot.  That's a lot of wear and tear and guys who are playing the majority of snaps.  Props to the players and staff never using that as an excuse.  That says a lot.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

If your counting on any of those 3 I've got a feeling you're going be very disappointed.

Unfortunately if it’s not one of these guys we are waiving the white flag, at least from a perspective we will play for anything big soon. I’m not saying others can’t succeed but now is the time to strike as college football is going through huge changes and only the strong will survive.  These guys give us the potential and opportunity to build something huge. Could someone like Leipold do well and have a solid team? Sure he could have some decent years but we need someone transformational to put us back on the map of relevancy. We are an outpost on the college football landscape and we need someone that makes us a destination on the map.

4 minutes ago, lo country said:

WOW!!!!!  That's a great find.  Appreciate you sharing that. Explains a lot.  That's a lot of wear and tear and guys who are playing the majority of snaps.  Props to the players and staff never using that as an excuse.  That says a lot.

It also shows how Frost’s plan on offense and defense was going to end up failing in the long run, especially in a physical conference like the Big Ten. Frost’s offense was built around quick strikes and quick scores, while the defense was built around bending but not breaking, and trying to create turnovers. It just didn’t seem like complementary football. If I had a bend but don’t break defense, where I would be on the field for a lot of plays each drive, I would want to have an offense which tried to control the clock, be efficient, and shorten the game in terms of number of possessions. That’s honestly how many Big Ten teams play. 

• Plus1 1

31 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

It also shows how Frost’s plan on offense and defense was going to end up failing in the long run, especially in a physical conference like the Big Ten. Frost’s offense was built around quick strikes and quick scores, while the defense was built around bending but not breaking, and trying to create turnovers. It just didn’t seem like complementary football. If I had a bend but don’t break defense, where I would be on the field for a lot of plays each drive, I would want to have an offense which tried to control the clock, be efficient, and shorten the game in terms of number of possessions. That’s honestly how many Big Ten teams play. 

This was my complaint as well.  Never looked like the D nacked up the O and vice versa.  D would be on there for some long 5+ min drive, get a stop and the O would either go yard in 1 play (the hated big or bust) or a quick 3 and out and punt.  No ebb and flow to eat the clock to spare the D.  I think it was truly the inability to constantly lean on the O and OL to get the tough yards and eat the clock.  Forget the drive under Pelini that was like 19 straight runs.....

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, lo country said:

I remember Frost creating some drama when Farnioks brother was demoted so Cam could move to center.  Also some grumblings that some guys were treated differently than others.  Mo Washington got some passes stat Mills (IIRC) didn't get.  I think a lot of the culture issues were Frost's tbh.  

Yeah I agree. Transfers are OK when your team is legit and you’re reloading or it’s a turd in the punch bowl. Starters transferring when you’re sub .500 might be a cause for concern

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, lo country said:

Sorry @ColoradoHuskfor not going back to your post- but this^   For all you losers that think that a piss poor offense should not affect the defense.  They can only holdback the tidal wave for so long.  

Any word on Whipple? 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, lo country said:

We simply have no quality depth behind the starters on either side.  Significantly more drop off on the O side IMO.  But those guys on D can't go 80 snaps and be as fresh on snap 1 to snap 80.....And a lot of times, probably more often than not, 3 and outs and right back out there....Another glaring failure that no coach could fix  starting in game 4...

No quality depth behind questionable quality at your 1 spot on the depth chart across the board is a bad combo and we’re neck deep in it