What did we learn? Michigan edition.

TGHusker

Why didn’t Palmer suck when Thompson was QB? Come on now. To say that Palmer and Grant are not good players is completely unfair. I am willing to bet that if grant and Palmer were at Ohio state, they would both have 1000 yard seasons by now. You can’t blame them if the QBs cannot throw a decent pass and our OL is complete and utter trash. Thompson had 237 yards when Thompson was QB. 

So many of this board tend to downplay the importance of some players and judge them unfairly. Take cade Warner for example. Look at his numbers with Kansas state vs when he were at Nebraska. Our OL is arguably the worst OL in the country. That means our QBs are constantly running for their lives and our running backs and receivers have no chance. Losing Palmer and Grant will be unfortunate and if saying that they are replaceable makes people feel better so be it but that is not true.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, huskerfan74 said:

Why didn’t Palmer suck when Thompson was QB? Come on now. To say that Palmer and Grant are not good players is completely unfair. I am willing to bet that if grant and Palmer were at Ohio state, they would both have 1000 yard seasons by now. You can’t blame them if the QBs cannot throw a decent pass and our OL is complete and utter trash. Thompson had 237 yards when Thompson was QB. 

So many of this board tend to downplay the importance of some players and judge them unfairly. Take cade Warner for example. Look at his numbers with Kansas state vs when he were at Nebraska. Our OL is arguably the worst OL in the country. That means our QBs are constantly running for their lives and our running backs and receivers have no chance. Losing Palmer and Grant will be unfortunate and if saying that they are replaceable makes people feel better so be it but that is not true.

Man, sometimes I wish people watched the Huskers sober.  Palmer has shown to be very good on deep routes, mostly because of his speed.  Casey throws a pretty nice deep ball, but it's not on point every single time.  Palmer's catching ability on short or intermediate routes are hit or miss - all season long.  His hands are not very reliable within 12 yard routes.    

Grant was very good early on, until OU and B1G teams focused on him and the Husker's run play selection.  Not his fault.  Same run play over and over, and teams can isolate on him.  The OL doesn't provide enough gap space.  

All 3 players are good players.  All 3 need to play exceptional for 3+ quarters for the Huskers to be good enough to win.  That is a lot of pressure to ask out of them.  

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, lo country said:

WOW!!!!!  That's a great find.  Appreciate you sharing that. Explains a lot.  That's a lot of wear and tear and guys who are playing the majority of snaps.  Props to the players and staff never using that as an excuse.  That says a lot.

Think of it this way  - that’s like having played in 2 bowl games each season!    Here we are - all unhappy - when in reality NU can pack an extra quarter’s worth of action into every game almost.  Getting our fan money’s worth!!    Lol

Frost did change the culture -  it’s hurry up and lose brought on by no fear of failure. 
His roster developed an almost a  don’t care about winning just play the snaps and individual players’ stat sheet. 

• Plus1 1

This should be obvious to anyone watching but after reading some of the comments I don't think it's sunk in yet.

The fans are going to have to be incredibly patient while the next coach rebuilds this disaster back from the ground up. Remember Harbaugh's seat was getting warm a few years ago.

Specifically it's going to take time (meaning more than a year) to build the mobility of lines and linebackers back to at least a serviceable level.  They have absolutely no foot speed.  None.  On D they're late filling the gaps and that lack of mobility is also leading to reaching arm tackle attempts which teams just mow through   On O, opposing teams just run by our lines.  All due to zero mobility which points directly to the S&C coach and his development.  That's what's going to take time.  That can't be fixed overnight or with transfers.

Anyone griping about play calling at this time is missing the problem.  There aren't any play calls or schemes that will fix a roster full of FCS linemen and linebackers sprinkled in with a few decent skill players.

We've literally bottomed out at the level of the KUs or KSUs circa the '80s and this is a complete rebuild.  We were a 30 point dog yesterday.....and couldn't cover.   Let that sink in.

Or to put it another way, list the potential all-conference linemen and linebackers you see for next year or in two years.  Hausmann is the only guy I see and that's a stretch right now.

• Plus1 3

We learned why Smothers was the clear number three. 

4/8, 15 yards.

Holy smokes.

It's one thing to clamor for him to play, but the way people were s#!tting all over Purdy is peak douschebag.

It's also pretty obvious at this point Thompson is basically a jedi putting up the numbers he has with the roster Frost built.

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Think of it this way  - that’s like having played in 2 bowl games each season!    Here we are - all unhappy - when in reality NU can pack an extra quarter’s worth of action into every game almost.  Getting our fan money’s worth!!    Lol

Frost did change the culture -  it’s hurry up and lose brought on by no fear of failure. 
His roster developed an almost a  don’t care about winning just play the snaps and individual players’ stat sheet. 

This dude is spot on.

16 minutes ago, The Dude said:

We learned why Smothers was the clear number three. 

4/8, 15 yards.

Holy smokes.

It's one thing to clamor for him to play, but the way people were s#!tting all over Purdy is peak douschebag.

It's also pretty obvious at this point Thompson is basically a jedi putting up the numbers he has with the roster Frost built.

Couple bad drops in there and Logan getting smeared on a throw that turned into a duck. Nobody looked good yesterday, but Purdy has been pretty f#&%ing poor all season. The only thing he did well was scramble yesterday. One of his best passes was a floating wobbler. He's not good.

• Plus1 3
1 minute ago, ZRod said:

Couple bad drops in there and Logan getting smeared on a throw that turned into a duck. Nobody looked good yesterday, but Purdy has been pretty f#&%ing poor all season. The only thing he did well was scramble yesterday. One of his best passes was a floating wobbler. He's not good.

And?

• TBH 1

I learned that 60% of a Dave Matthews Band concert are panty soaked cougars who go to near bat s#!t levels of crazy singing his songs.

As for the game, nothing.  Didn't even really watch(it was on TVs in the Old Market), but other than an occasional peek to see if Michigan is covering yet.  Had a nice date night with the wife, even if the music wasn't my cup of tea

• Plus1 2
10 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I didn't say anything about you s#!tting on him, but maybe there's a reason you felt called out by my post.

I could carless if you called me out specifically or not. I've been  a huge critic of Purdy and I own that. My point still stands that trying to compare passing stats when one QB is picking everyother snap up off the turf and his best WRs drop balls that hit them in the hands seems useless.

2 minutes ago, PaulCrewe said:

I learned that 60% of a Dave Matthews Band concert are panty soaked cougars who go to near bat s#!t levels of crazy singing his songs.

As for the game, nothing.  Didn't even really watch(it was on TVs in the Old Market), but other than an occasional peek to see if Michigan is covering yet.  Had a nice date night with the wife, even if the music wasn't my cup of tea

Have you been to Smash Mouth yet?

26 minutes ago, ZRod said:

I could carless if you called me out specifically or not. I've been  a huge critic of Purdy and I own that. My point still stands that trying to compare passing stats when one QB is picking everyother snap up off the turf and his best WRs drop balls that hit them in the hands seems useless.

Have you been to Smash Mouth yet?

There's probably a reason both guys are career backups.   Relentlessly s#!tting on one while making excuses for the other seems not only entirely useless, but exposes a clear bias.  So maybe sit the next few plays out.

And there's no need to call out people who tell on themselves.