What did we learn? Michigan edition.

TGHusker

8 minutes ago, The Dude said:

There's probably a reason both guys are career backups.   Relentlessly s#!tting on one while making excuses for the other seems not only entirely useless, but exposes a clear bias.  So maybe sit the next few plays out.

Well, one had 2 yrs of the old qb coach and his third year seems he isn't being coached at all by the qb coach. Little telling when he says in the post game presser he didn't speak with Whipple in the second half. Makes you wonder if he is even being given a chance to succeed.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, desertshox said:

Well, one had 2 yrs of the old qb coach and his third year seems he isn't being coached at all by the qb coach. Little telling when he says in the post game presser he didn't speak with Whipple in the second half. Makes you wonder if he is even being given a chance to succeed.

Agree here.  It would be nice if a coach would commit to Smothers for a couple of weeks.

3 hours ago, The Dude said:

There's probably a reason both guys are career backups.   Relentlessly s#!tting on one while making excuses for the other seems not only entirely useless, but exposes a clear bias.  So maybe sit the next few plays out.

And there's no need to call out people who tell on themselves. 

My bias is that I'd rather have the guy who's thrown 1 INT in his career compared to the guy who has 3 this season, and has looked terrible in all things passing.

Logan clearly doesn't have the arm talent of AM or CT, which is why he's a backup. It's not making an excuse when you point out that there is more to the stat than meets the eye.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, The Dude said:

We learned why Smothers was the clear number three. 

4/8, 15 yards.

Holy smokes.

It's one thing to clamor for him to play, but the way people were s#!tting all over Purdy is peak douschebag.

It's also pretty obvious at this point Thompson is basically a jedi putting up the numbers he has with the roster Frost built.

So Smothers with a better completion percentage, better passer rating, better TD/INT ratio, and better AYPC is clearly behind Chubba?

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1
On 11/12/2022 at 5:47 PM, TGHusker said:

Michigan's patience with Coach H has paid off.  He has developed a good offensive line that allows them to play smashmouth football.

Michigan got better when Harbaugh started focusing on running the ball. Last year, they hardly threw the ball early. They REALLY focused on running, then later started working in some passes as the season went on. They basically did the same thing this year. Establish the run and the rest will/should fall into place. To Harbaugh's credit, he realized that this is what he needs to do. It's how he was successful at Stanford.

I believe Neb's run/pass ratio favors the run, but they haven't established the run. I'm not trying to say why or how, just that they need to establish the run game. I'm not really concerned with the run/pass ratio. I think this is what all the run first people mean.:dunno

Really don't think I learned anything. I stopped following the game after a while, there's just nothing to enjoy or anything about it. This is a very bad football team, and the program is in its worst state ever.

I'm going to the game next week since well I figure I need to go to one and have friends from Wisconsin coming down. That said, I expect absolutely nothing but incompetence from the team.

8 hours ago, jager said:

Michigan got better when Harbaugh started focusing on running the ball. Last year, they hardly threw the ball early. They REALLY focused on running, then later started working in some passes as the season went on. They basically did the same thing this year. Establish the run and the rest will/should fall into place. To Harbaugh's credit, he realized that this is what he needs to do. It's how he was successful at Stanford.

I believe Neb's run/pass ratio favors the run, but they haven't established the run. I'm not trying to say why or how, just that they need to establish the run game. I'm not really concerned with the run/pass ratio. I think this is what all the run first people mean.:dunno

The biggest weakness of Michigan with the two coaches before Harbaugh was no run game.  Almost all of their losses to good teams came down to one thing; the other team could run the ball, and Michigan couldn't. 

Harbaugh improved it, but it took him up until now to get it to an elite level.  For a while, he didn't have the kind of studs all across the OL like he had with his best teams at Stanford.  But now he has that good - and deep - OL.  Has had two starters  (different ones week to week) out much of the year, including last Saturday, and they still dominate.  He's at least 7, or 8, deep there. 

And as far as RB's, it started with Hassan Haskins.  Brought back that straight ahead, hard nosed - here I come Baby try stopping me - style.  A low 3 star that the top teams overlooked because the book on him was he's too slow - something that never showed on the field.  And now he's in the NFL.

H's been replaced by two other great backs, and for the first time since the Bo lineage, they're loaded at RB and OL. 

This is the blueprint for Nebraska, but it will take time.  That's just the way it is.

8 hours ago, jager said:

You need a good offensive line before you can run the ball effectively and we haven't had a good offensive line in a number of years now. Hopefully that changes with the new coaching staff.

• Plus1 1