When does Nebraska name a permanent head coach?

Another thought that came into my head, and it’s possibly been mentioned before. I think Trev is showing respect to Mickey and the rest of the coaching staff by waiting until the end of the regular season.

Think about it, if a new coach is named before the Iowa game, all anyone would be asking Mickey and other coaches is if they think they are going to stick around for the next coach. That wouldn’t be fair to the coaching staff who is still trying to win 2 games.

Trev was the guy who brought in Mickey and have a close relationship. He would be showing a lot of disrespect to Mickey and the coaching staff (regardless how they are performing) by moving forward with an announcement of a new coach while these guys are still trying to do their jobs. 

• TBH 1

20 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Another thought that came into my head, and it’s possibly been mentioned before. I think Trev is showing respect to Mickey and the rest of the coaching staff by waiting until the end of the regular season.

Think about it, if a new coach is named before the Iowa game, all anyone would be asking Mickey and other coaches is if they think they are going to stick around for the next coach. That wouldn’t be fair to the coaching staff who is still trying to win 2 games.

Trev was the guy who brought in Mickey and have a close relationship. He would be showing a lot of disrespect to Mickey and the coaching staff (regardless how they are performing) by moving forward with an announcement of a new coach while these guys are still trying to do their jobs. 

Great point. Did Trev bring in MJ or was it SF? I ask bc I didn't think the ad would have anything to do with bringing assistant coaches into the program just asking.

• Fire 1
20 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Ok but  honestly, the season is over.  There is 0 reward for working hard, seriously better to same themselves from injury and plan for next season.  What is there possibly to play for.

5 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Great point. Did Trev bring in MJ or was it SF? I ask bc I didn't think the ad would have anything to do with bringing assistant coaches into the program just asking.

Trev strongly recommended that Frost bring in Mickey.  Trev played with Mickey for a couple years at NU, so they had the prior relationship.  

• Haha 1
7 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

Ok but  honestly, the season is over.  There is 0 reward for working hard, seriously better to same themselves from injury and plan for next season.  What is there possibly to play for.

I understand the chance for a bowl game is over, but as long as there are games to be played, competitors want to try and win those games.

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

I'm with ya.  Two games will not improve any current staff members chances of getting hired.  If the HC is already known, I am pretty confident that some staff members are as well. ie if MJ, BB or any others will be retained.  If It's Aranda, they are not playing for the Big 12 Championship.  At a minimum could sya a HC has been chosen, out of respect we won't mention until yada yada yada.  If MJ is retained, could possibly mention that to keep the fan base calm...

Only reasons it hasn't been announced is

1) new HC has requested it not be until all possible games are over (IMHO, this hurts as transfer portal opens Dec 5 IIRC).  If said HC is playing in a bowl, it might be well after that and we might miss giys or lose guys we could other wise get/keep.  Also contact period starts 11/28-12/17 IIRC.  Means we miss out on that as well.  

2) We do not have one locked in yet.

3) New HC wants to wait until the end of the regular season.  Would be able to recruit and work the portal to add/keep guys.

4 minutes ago, lo country said:

I'm with ya.  Two games will not improve any current staff members chances of getting hired.  If the HC is already known, I am pretty confident that some staff members are as well. ie if MJ, BB or any others will be retained.  If It's Aranda, they are not playing for the Big 12 Championship.  At a minimum could sya a HC has been chosen, out of respect we won't mention until yada yada yada.  If MJ is retained, could possibly mention that to keep the fan base calm...

Only reasons it hasn't been announced is

1) new HC has requested it not be until all possible games are over (IMHO, this hurts as transfer portal opens Dec 5 IIRC).  If said HC is playing in a bowl, it might be well after that and we might miss giys or lose guys we could other wise get/keep.  Also contact period starts 11/28-12/17 IIRC.  Means we miss out on that as well.  

2) We do not have one locked in yet.

3) New HC wants to wait until the end of the regular season.  Would be able to recruit and work the portal to add/keep guys.

If the next coach's team is playing in a bowl game, Trev won't allow him to coach in that bowl.  Trev will ensure that the coach comes to NU right away.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
19 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

This is a horrible take.

Seniors are down to two games left for the rest of their lives in most cases.  All underclassmen should be giving effort for the seniors.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1