When does Nebraska name a permanent head coach?

12 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I just think Trev is not wanting a new head coach being named to be a distraction with games still left to be played.  I know the games aren't meaning much anyway, but they still matter to the players and the coaches.  As a former player, Trev is thinking that he just wants the players to worry about playing the best they can the last 2 games, and worry about next year when the season is officially over.

Can Nebraska fans hold on for 2 more games? Nebraska play is going backwards thats why I asked the question does it benefit them to wait. After today there can't be much to look forward to other then a new head coach being named.

1 minute ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Can Nebraska fans hold on for 2 more games? Nebraska play is going backwards thats why I asked the question does it benefit them to wait. After today there can't be much to look forward to other then a new head coach being named.

I guess I'm not following the point you are trying to make.  It's not going to get any better for anyone in the next 2 weeks, so I don't see much of an issue for Trev to let the season finish and then make a clean break with the new coach.  I guess I'm just more understanding of "it is what it is".

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
16 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

True but no toss passes to the back, no screen passes to the back. Not much slant passes. Trick plays anything to relieve pressure off the o-line. When your o-line is bad and you still try to pass but you need the play to develop first doesn't work not right now or call a run play and try to run smash mouth football its a struggle. Those are the simple things that I question. Nothing is going to change from a week to week basis on performance if you keep trying to do the same things or the game planning for the week is bad.

Unfortunately nothing is going to work offensively when you have nothing in the QB room and a horrid OL. Nobody can call anything that will work when the key players can’t even execute exiting a wet paper bag. There are maybe 3 or 4 players total on this whole team who would be nice to keep but they are all pretty easily replaceable. And I am commenting much more on the development they received under Frost than their talent level. This is a complete reset and the new coach better have a history of rebuilding dumpster fires.

• Plus1 4
2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I guess I'm not following the point you are trying to make.  It's not going to get any better for anyone in the next 2 weeks, so I don't see much of an issue for Trev to let the season finish and then make a clean break with the new coach.  I guess I'm just more understanding of "it is what it is".

I gotcha.  My point is since it's not going to get better performance wise on the field between the players and coaches would it be beneficial to name a head coach instead of waiting until the season is over that's all.

1 minute ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I gotcha.  My point is since it's not going to get better performance wise on the field between the players and coaches would it be beneficial to name a head coach instead of waiting until the season is over that's all.

And that's a fair point.  It's like you are thinking of "Why isn't a new coach named so the players have a spark to finish the season?"  IMO, the players are so entrenched to playing for this staff that any new coach named before the end of the season would create a distraction and could possibly even make things worse.

Colton Feist mentioned today that the players and coaches are already thinking that they are probably facing their last 2 games at Nebraska the next 2 weeks.  That creates a lot of stress and uncertainty, and Trev can sense that among the players.  Being a former player himself, I think Trev thinks that he owes it to the players to let them finish out the season the best they can, even if the product is very crappy right now.  Even though things are terrible right now, it's still probably the best thing to just let the season finish and then we can move forward with a new head coach.

• Plus1 1

And that's a fair point.  It's like you are thinking of "Why isn't a new coach named so the players have a spark to finish the season?"  IMO, the players are so entrenched to playing for this staff that any new coach named before the end of the season would create a distraction and could possibly even make things worse.

Colton Feist mentioned today that the players and coaches are already thinking that they are probably facing their last 2 games at Nebraska the next 2 weeks.  That creates a lot of stress and uncertainty, and Trev can sense that among the players.  Being a former player himself, I think Trev thinks that he owes it to the players to let them finish out the season the best they can, even if the product is very crappy right now.  Even though things are terrible right now, it's still probably the best thing to just let the season finish and then we can move forward with a new head coach.

Thank you! Totally get where you are coming from.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Thank you! Totally get where you are coming from.

Good deal, and I totally see your point, too.  We all want hope, and positive feelings, and I can see how having a new coach named would make fans and even a lot of players feel that way.  I honestly think that Trev has an agreement with a coach who is currently coaching, and Trev is letting that coach finish out his season with his current team, which is completely reasonable.

22 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Unfortunately nothing is going to work offensively when you have nothing in the QB room and a horrid OL. Nobody can call anything that will work when the key players can’t even execute exiting a wet paper bag. There are maybe 3 or 4 players total on this whole team who would be nice to keep but they are all pretty easily replaceable. And I am commenting much more on the development they received under Frost than their talent level. This is a complete reset and the new coach better have a history of rebuilding dumpster fires.

The lack of traditional RB screens from the get go blows my f'ing mind. Atleast then the DL and D in general has to legitimately process if this is "too easy or not"

• TBH 1

Good deal, and I totally see your point, too.  We all want hope, and positive feelings, and I can see how having a new coach named would make fans and even a lot of players feel that way.  I honestly think that Trev has an agreement with a coach who is currently coaching, and Trev is letting that coach finish out his season with his current team, which is completely reasonable.

Its sad that the players and fans have had to endure pain and losses. We just want to be proud of our program and not be a joke to the rest of the nation. Things are always better when Nebraska is winning.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, UniversalMartin said:

The lack of traditional RB screens from the get go blows my f'ing mind. Atleast then the DL and D in general has to legitimately process if this is "too easy or not"

I agree but I also haven’t seen Nebraska generate positive yardage on more than maybe 2 or 3 screens in the last 4 years. Our perimeter blocking sucks too. But yeah, should maybe still try it once in awhile when the D is pinning their ears back.

4 minutes ago, UniversalMartin said:

That's what I've been saying is if your o-line is bad blocking in the box get them out in space don't know if you never even try. There is so much pressure on the o-line to block and protect the qb that the coaches don't do anything to relieve the pressure. That's what is so upsetting to me.

I think most are right when thinking that our next hire is a current coach or coordinator.  If we was going to be Mickey, it would have been done by now.  The next two weeks will fly by, and we should be  getting a new coach soon enough.  I don't like the new recruiting early season, but no matter, this next hire needs to hit the ground running.