When does Nebraska name a permanent head coach?

12 minutes ago, lo country said:

I'm with ya.  Two games will not improve any current staff members chances of getting hired.  If the HC is already known, I am pretty confident that some staff members are as well. ie if MJ, BB or any others will be retained.  If It's Aranda, they are not playing for the Big 12 Championship.  At a minimum could sya a HC has been chosen, out of respect we won't mention until yada yada yada.  If MJ is retained, could possibly mention that to keep the fan base calm...

Only reasons it hasn't been announced is

1) new HC has requested it not be until all possible games are over (IMHO, this hurts as transfer portal opens Dec 5 IIRC).  If said HC is playing in a bowl, it might be well after that and we might miss giys or lose guys we could other wise get/keep.  Also contact period starts 11/28-12/17 IIRC.  Means we miss out on that as well.  

2) We do not have one locked in yet.

3) New HC wants to wait until the end of the regular season.  Would be able to recruit and work the portal to add/keep guys.

If it's Aranda I already don't feel good about the next few seasons.

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 1

I'm guessing presser will be 12/05, with solid leaks/rumors  starting12/02.

Though I think it would be amazing to have the coach announced ruing one of the  TV Timeout commercial breaks.  No one paying attention, now welcome to the field, Nebraska's next HC, please welcome "...."

6 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

So lets say they announce tomorrow is it disrespectful to the players and coaches bc they do have 2 games left. The season is technically over bc they aren't making a bowl game so would that be a plus to start on recruiting or a staff? ColoradoHusk made some great points as to why you should wait till the end of the season after the coaches are finished.

Do it quick so they can get a good start in recruitment. I don't want a honeymoon season for the new coach next year. A 6 win season should be the goal for 2023. 

• Plus1 2
13 hours ago, Stone Cold said:

Ok but  honestly, the season is over.  There is 0 reward for working hard, seriously better to same themselves from injury and plan for next season.  What is there possibly to play for.

One or more of the networks has already penciled in those games and advertisers have committed their money. The Big Ten, Iowa and Wisconsin would file suit. We could get voted out of the Big Ten conference. Trev would be fired. 

10 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

So lets say they announce tomorrow is it disrespectful to the players and coaches bc they do have 2 games left. The season is technically over bc they aren't making a bowl game so would that be a plus to start on recruiting or a staff? ColoradoHusk made some great points as to why you should wait till the end of the season after the coaches are finished.

If there is an announcement over the next few days, I fully deserve to eat crow.  All of my thoughts still stand, especially if the next head coach is a coach is currently coaching another team.  The exception is a coach like Matt Rhule, since he's not coaching.  So, if the announce comes this week, I can see it being done for the following reasons.

1)  Trev has made a move lock-down Rhule to make sure Rhule doesn't get hired by another school

2)  Trev has told Mickey that MJ isn't going to get the full-time gig, but Trev would like him to remain on the staff (with a possible large raise), and Trev has discussed the transition plan with Mickey.

3)  Mickey may have told Trev "I appreciate your honesty with me during this process, don't worry about my feelings, if you think you need to announce it, I am fine with it."

4)  Mickey may have also told Trev "If you have an agreement with a coach in place, go ahead and announce it.  I think the players would appreciate it, and it would be great to be able to tell recruits that our coach is going to be this guy."

All of those thoughts are speculation, and I'm not trying to be a flip-flopper.  It's just me offering my thoughts as this continues to play out.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Jeremy said:

I'd say the sooner the better. Get the staff in place early and get started ASAP. Recruits will know who we are and the fans will have something to hope for again. 

Hopefully the future staff is currently working.  Announcing now versus two weeks from now doesn’t really do any good.

If a hire is done, they can still be working to put together a staff without doing a press conference first.

32 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

If there is an announcement over the next few days, I fully deserve to eat crow.  All of my thoughts still stand, especially if the next head coach is a coach is currently coaching another team.  The exception is a coach like Matt Rhule, since he's not coaching.  So, if the announce comes this week, I can see it being done for the following reasons.

1)  Trev has made a move lock-down Rhule to make sure Rhule doesn't get hired by another school

2)  Trev has told Mickey that MJ isn't going to get the full-time gig, but Trev would like him to remain on the staff (with a possible large raise), and Trev has discussed the transition plan with Mickey.

3)  Mickey may have told Trev "I appreciate your honesty with me during this process, don't worry about my feelings, if you think you need to announce it, I am fine with it."

4)  Mickey may have also told Trev "If you have an agreement with a coach in place, go ahead and announce it.  I think the players would appreciate it, and it would be great to be able to tell recruits that our coach is going to be this guy."

All of those thoughts are speculation, and I'm not trying to be a flip-flopper.  It's just me offering my thoughts as this continues to play out.

Pretty much me as well.  I didn't think we'd get an announcement until after Iowa.  And we still might not.

I still think I'd probably wait until the season is over.  But it wouldn't be the first time I'd be wrong.

• Plus1 1