When does Nebraska name a permanent head coach?

53 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

If there is an announcement over the next few days, I fully deserve to eat crow.  All of my thoughts still stand, especially if the next head coach is a coach is currently coaching another team.  The exception is a coach like Matt Rhule, since he's not coaching.  So, if the announce comes this week, I can see it being done for the following reasons.

1)  Trev has made a move lock-down Rhule to make sure Rhule doesn't get hired by another school

2)  Trev has told Mickey that MJ isn't going to get the full-time gig, but Trev would like him to remain on the staff (with a possible large raise), and Trev has discussed the transition plan with Mickey.

3)  Mickey may have told Trev "I appreciate your honesty with me during this process, don't worry about my feelings, if you think you need to announce it, I am fine with it."

4)  Mickey may have also told Trev "If you have an agreement with a coach in place, go ahead and announce it.  I think the players would appreciate it, and it would be great to be able to tell recruits that our coach is going to be this guy."

All of those thoughts are speculation, and I'm not trying to be a flip-flopper.  It's just me offering my thoughts as this continues to play out.

Callahan also saying he still thinks it seems unlikely that we get an announcement before the season is over.  Just not fair to the current coaches and team.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Mavric said:

Callahan also saying he still thinks it seems unlikely that we get an announcement before the season is over.  Just not fair to the current coaches and team.

Thanks for the update.  That aligns with my thinking all along.  Trev is going to approach the AD role from a former player's point of view.  I really don't know how much real work a new coach can get done in the next 11 days anyway, but if there are current coaches who think they will be part of the next staff, then they can do their best to appease the guys who are currently committed to NU.  There is going to be fallout with recruits, just like some new guys may be interested in following an assistant coach from their current team to NU.

If MJ does beat Wisconsin do you think that Trev could name him head coach after the game or do you think it really doesn't matter what he does bc TA has someone already lined up.

Just now, Huskerfollower4life said:

If MJ does beat Wisconsin do you think that Trev could name him head coach after the game or do you think it really doesn't matter what he does bc TA has someone already lined up?

Sorry I meant it as a question 

20 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

If MJ does beat Wisconsin do you think that Trev could name him head coach after the game or do you think it really doesn't matter what he does bc TA has someone already lined up.

Sorry I meant it as a question 

How often have you seen a new head coach at any school in any sport be named before the current season is over?

• Plus1 1

35 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

After the last 2 games does anybody feel that if TA waits to name a coach after the Iowa game (a coach who isn't employed) that is the wrong decision to make? He didn't wait to fire SF this year and I still hope he names one soon or this week before the Iowa game. 

Hiring the right coach is the important thing, not when that new coach is named.

• Plus1 3
31 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

True but who is the right coach? Im saying if TA has the right coach in place to be hired why not name him. Yes it has been a long season but its been even longer for Husker Fans to look for positives and hope for the program. 

Of the coaches who have been rumored to be considered, all but one of them is still coaching in college football.  It's normal practice to wait until that coach's regular season is over before naming that coach the new coach of some place else.  It's fair to that coach and his current team, and it's fair current Nebraska players and coaches play out the rest of the season before moving forward.  The only exception would be a guy like Rhule, who isn't currently coaching, but I don't see a huge difference in naming him the next coach tomorrow or next Sunday.  The only thing that does is appease the fans like you.

I have a question for you.  When Frost was fired, when did you honestly think the next coach was going to be named?  My answer is that I figured it would be some time the week after the Iowa game.

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Of the coaches who have been rumored to be considered, all but one of them is still coaching in college football.  It's normal practice to wait until that coach's regular season is over before naming that coach the new coach of some place else.  It's fair to that coach and his current team, and it's fair current Nebraska players and coaches play out the rest of the season before moving forward.  The only exception would be a guy like Rhule, who isn't currently coaching, but I don't see a huge difference in naming him the next coach tomorrow or next Sunday.  The only thing that does is appease the fans like you.

I have a question for you.  When Frost was hired, when did you honestly think the next coach was going to be named?  My answer is that I figured it would be some time the week after the Iowa game.

I honestly didn't think about it bc I wasn't as invested as a fan back in the past.  I agree with you on all parts but this program is at a dangerous spot right now bc of the losing.  Husker fans want to see or understand some type of hope to move forward and they dont feel the University is giving them any which I understand. I can't recall the stadium being that empty ever. Yes they are going to say the sellout streak is intake bc of ticket sales but what good does that do if fans aren't at the stadium watching and supporting the team. How many players expected to see the crowd out there one final time and saw that and had sorrow and sadness? If they were winning Husker Fans would be out there rain or shine or cold or warm and right now the University has to understand what drives the success is the fans. They don't play the whole part but they do have a role and I don't think the University understands that. Im not saying let the fans run the program but just give them hope bc the season has been over.

14 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I honestly didn't think about it bc I wasn't as invested as a fan back in the past.  I agree with you on all parts but this program is at a dangerous spot right now bc of the losing.  Husker fans want to see or understand some type of hope to move forward and they dont feel the University is giving them any which I understand. I can't recall the stadium being that empty ever. Yes they are going to say the sellout streak is intake bc of ticket sales but what good does that do if fans aren't at the stadium watching and supporting the team. How many players expected to see the crowd out there one final time and saw that and had sorrow and sadness? If they were winning Husker Fans would be out there rain or shine or cold or warm and right now the University has to understand what drives the success is the fans. They don't play the whole part but they do have a role and I don't think the University understands that. Im not saying let the fans run the program but just give them hope bc the season has been over.

Wow, not to be a d!(k, that's a rambling answer which doesn't say much.  So, you say fans run the program, but in the long run, what does it matter to the fans by naming a coach tomorrow or next week, especially if the coach is coaching at another school?  This is about a long-term solution, not short-term feelings.

EDIT:  I realize now I had a typo in my first response to you.  My question was about when Frost was FIRED, not hired.  Maybe that changes your answer.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Wow, not to be a d!(k, that's a rambling answer which doesn't say much.  So, you say fans run the program, but in the long run, what does it matter to the fans by naming a coach tomorrow or next week, especially if the coach is coaching at another school?  This is about a long-term solution, not short-term feelings.

The fans have alot to do with the program with the support they show. If a coach is coaching at another school I understand the wait but if they aren't the fans need hope to understand the program is trying to become better. The fans don't or haven't seen improvement since who knows when. Would I say waiting a week really matters? No but what if they wait longer or say at the end of the season we like to hire MJ then what? It is a possibilty bc of how the players think its unfair to him to be a coach with the coaches he never put in place. How do you feel if that were to happen? Any hope from that possiblity that the University is getting any better? I know your not being a d!(k your stating how you feel I understand no hard feelings. Total respect!!! Im just looking towards something positive to move forward from this bad season.

Just now, TheSker said:

There's a probability no coach has been hired yet....which would also be a reason there's no announcement.

Other dominoes might need to fall first and it probably starts with Auburn's choice.

If NU has eyes on Rhule, the biggest snag in that would be Auburn hiring Franklin and then Rhule taking the Penn State job.  I think Auburn throws everything they can at Kiffin or Franklin.