New Head Coaching Staff Selections (Coordinators)

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

$7M sounds like a lot to hire assistants.  And it is.

But Mickey is supposedly looking for $1M+.  Satterfield made $900k this year.  DC likely to be in the same ballpark.

That's likely ~$3.5M for the first three (assuming Mickey stays).  That leaves ~$3.5M for the other seven.  That's ~$500k each.  

I heard the $7m also includes the strength coach - according to the guys on 1620 the Zone.  Thus 11 coaches not 10

17 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

That's why Mickey's salary demands (whether they are earned or not) make it challenging if we also want to pay the coordinators $1M+.

I could see three guys at slightly over $1M each.  That would be ~$460k average for the other 8.  A bit of a squeeze but probably still doable.

The guys coming from Carolina are probably towards the bottom end of the scale.

Pot Roast might be cheap.

1 minute ago, Mavric said:

I could see three guys at slightly over $1M each.  That would be ~$460k average for the other 8.  A bit of a squeeze but probably still doable.

The guys coming from Carolina are probably towards the bottom end of the scale.

Pot Roast might be cheap.

Yes, that would work.  But, if Mickey has his eyes set on $1.5M (which is below his initial ask), the difference between $1.5M and $1.1M is basically the cost of an assistant coach.

35 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

NU is coming off a 3-win and 4-win season.  Why are we ringing our hands on retaining coaches, who generally sucked?

Who is wringing their hands for anyone….other than possibly Joseph?   People are simply asking questions and discussing? I’m pretty sure if any of the coaches mentioned aren’t retained, people will understand.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1
5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Yes, that would work.  But, if Mickey has his eyes set on $1.5M (which is below his initial ask), the difference between $1.5M and $1.1M is basically the cost of an assistant coach.

I'm not sure I believe the $1.5M report.  I guess he can ask for whatever but that would be Top 10 in the nation and those currently at that level are all coordinators.  Plus you wouldn't think that he'd be making more than our actual coordinators (unless he gets a co-OC title) which would be $4.5 for those three.  That answer to his $1.5M request would almost have to be thanks but no thanks.

• TBH 2
34 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Early in the year I would also be rejoicing wholeheartedly. But my opinion of both improved a lot with Busch as DC, so I do wonder how much Chinander's style was affecting our perception. Even the returning guys like Reimer, Henrich, Feist, and Robinson looked terrible early on, and the young guys like Hausmann were totally lost. They all improved dramatically with Busch, and I don't think you can attribute all of that to the DC. I suspect Ruud and Dawson are solid coaches who were limited by Chins vision for the defense, but I won't be super bummed when they're gone. Ruud has sentimental appeal, but there are good coaches out there and neither seem to be the recruiters Rhule is looking for.

I have no problem giving props to Busch.  And the scheme by Chins was garbage. My point is that Dawson and Ruud are not high energy recruiters, nor are they coaches that are unreplaceable.  Ruud had 5 years of the good life here, and will be fine somewhere else. Dawson never impressed me.  Raiola out too.  I mean, a total overhaul would be fine by me. Although Brian Applewhite, Mickey Joseph and Busch (ST) would be nice to retain for recruiting and high energy coaching.  Matt Rhule said he will sit down with the current players and listen to them.  That could impact if any coach gets retained if that coach is all iN

• TBH 1

21 minutes ago, admo said:

I have no problem giving props to Busch.  And the scheme by Chins was garbage. My point is that Dawson and Ruud are not high energy recruiters, nor are they coaches that are unreplaceable.  Ruud had 5 years of the good life here, and will be fine somewhere else. Dawson never impressed me.  Raiola out too.  I mean, a total overhaul would be fine by me. Although Brian Applewhite, Mickey Joseph and Busch (ST) would be nice to retain for recruiting and high energy coaching.  Matt Rhule said he will sit down with the current players and listen to them.  That could impact if any coach gets retained if that coach is all iN

They aren't as flashy of recruiters as others may be.  But Ruud in particular made a huge push for contact and relationships with the local schools, especially in Omaha.

Some people seem to think otherwise but that seems to be a misunderstanding that coaches were literally forbidden from making those visits for a year-and-a-half.  But he was literally in Omaha every week when he was allowed to be.

• Plus1 3