New Head Coaching Staff Selections (Coordinators)

8 hours ago, JWHusker said:

Okay so what does the coaching staff look like now? What positions do we have open to fill?

Confirmed Official:

HC: Matt Rhule

OC/TE: Marcus Satterfield

RB: EJ Barthel

OL: Donovan Raiola

DC: Tony White

DL: Terrance Knighton

DB: Evan Cooper

ST: Ed Foley

S&C: Corey Campbell

Sourced/Reported:

QB: Jake Peetz

LB: Rob Dvoracek

Yet to be Reported:

WR's (I suspect that's been delayed because of the Mickey Joseph incident)

Edited by NayNayNincompoop
Edit: Raiola and White now official
  • Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2

I have a few concerns, maybe someone who knows coaching better than I do can help me understand...

Rhule was fired from Carolina on October 10. In the month and a half that followed, I would have assumed that he would have been compiling lists of potential assistants and reaching out to his well-connected buddies to gauge interest in joining him if he got a new job. Obviously, other coaches would not be able to commit to him in the middle of a season when he didn't even have a new job yet, but I would have thought Rhule would have had time to make his list, check it twice, and know who his plan A, B, and C would be for each spot.

Which is why the OL coach position is baffling. There is no way in hell Rhule was sitting back this fall with Raiola on his hot list of OL candidates. DR has not worked with Rhule, does not have a ton of proven experience, and the OL was absolute garbage this year. To the extent that it takes time to remold and teach an OL, let alone recruit the kids you need, I get it. But we have also seen time and time again across the college football landscape that a new coach can make an immediate difference. Didn't see that with the OL this year. I have concerns.

Regarding the Defensive Coordinator, again I would have assumed Rhule would have had lists of candidates right out of the gate. But the rest of the defensive staff was in place before the Coordinator. Does that seem backwards? Did the DC not have input into his own staff? I mean, the DC seems like a good choice, but if his fellow assistants were hired without knowing what the DC's scheme was going to be...I have concerns. 

And the WR coach...I'm sure the Mickey situation threw a big monkey wrench into things. But while Rhule was sitting around in October and November not knowing for sure if Nebraska would be his destination, didn't he have a list of other WR candidates? 

Rhule is a proven college coach, and I am hopeful and optimistic that the Huskers will be relevant again in the next few years, but I am pretty damn nervous about all of this.  

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 2

6 minutes ago, Ulty said:

I have a few concerns, maybe someone who knows coaching better than I do can help me understand...

Rhule was fired from Carolina on October 10. In the month and a half that followed, I would have assumed that he would have been compiling lists of potential assistants and reaching out to his well-connected buddies to gauge interest in joining him if he got a new job. Obviously, other coaches would not be able to commit to him in the middle of a season when he didn't even have a new job yet, but I would have thought Rhule would have had time to make his list, check it twice, and know who his plan A, B, and C would be for each spot.

Which is why the OL coach position is baffling. There is no way in hell Rhule was sitting back this fall with Raiola on his hot list of OL candidates. DR has not worked with Rhule, does not have a ton of proven experience, and the OL was absolute garbage this year. To the extent that it takes time to remold and teach an OL, let alone recruit the kids you need, I get it. But we have also seen time and time again across the college football landscape that a new coach can make an immediate difference. Didn't see that with the OL this year. I have concerns.

Regarding the Defensive Coordinator, again I would have assumed Rhule would have had lists of candidates right out of the gate. But the rest of the defensive staff was in place before the Coordinator. Does that seem backwards? Did the DC not have input into his own staff? I mean, the DC seems like a good choice, but if his fellow assistants were hired without knowing what the DC's scheme was going to be...I have concerns. 

And the WR coach...I'm sure the Mickey situation threw a big monkey wrench into things. But while Rhule was sitting around in October and November not knowing for sure if Nebraska would be his destination, didn't he have a list of other WR candidates? 

Rhule is a proven college coach, and I am hopeful and optimistic that the Huskers will be relevant again in the next few years, but I am pretty damn nervous about all of this.  

While I sort of understand what you're saying.  I think this is an example of over thinking things.

He did have a few on his staff that he brought on board right away.  Also, he could have had that list.  But, he didn't know where he was going.  So, until he knew he was coming to Nebraska, he couldn't use the destination to convince other coaches to jump on board.  Some coaches would love to coach in the Big Ten. Others would rather stay in other parts of the country, in other types of programs.  The ones he has been announcing late, are guys who were coaching at other programs.  For instance, the DC was at Syracuse.  They finished their season two weeks ago.  Maybe this coach told him he has no desire to discuss anything till after the season.  Maybe he had 2-3 on his list like Leonhard.  All three could have been very good hires. But, maybe it took a little bit to sort it out to find the guy he wanted and who wanted to come here.

In the end, I'm perfectly fine with how fast he has filled out his staff.  Not something to be concerned about, in my opinion.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
10 minutes ago, Ulty said:

From what I've gathered from interviews he had every intention of taking a year off and spending time with family and the such. Shortly thereafter he realized he can't just sit at home and needed to be coaching a team. I'm sure he had a short list of guys he had for position coaches and the such, but there's so many dynamics to football, who knows if some guys wanted to stay in the pros or retire or had no interest in moving to Nebraska. While the Raiola hire is a bit of a headscratcher, it does provide continuity to an OL that hasn't seen much of that. Rhule must see something we don't and we just have to trust him on that judgement. Hopefully the O-line is improved but only time will tell.

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 1
25 minutes ago, Ulty said:

The bold it where I think you are missing the point somewhat.  Rhule comes across as a guy who knows the scheme he wants to run and will hire accordingly. Period.  This won't be the DC's scheme or the OC's scheme - it will be Rhule's schemes.   Rhule won't be adapting to the DC; the DC will be adapting to Rhule's scheme.   He is looking for guys that are teachable/flexible to remodel what they have been doing into what Rhule wants.  Look at Baylor's D under Rhule - very aggressive.  White's D at 'Cuse was very aggressive.   We will no longer see a D line who's only purpose seems to be used as 'blocking fodder'.  White's 3-3-5 D attacked from every direction.  This is Rhule's philosophy also.    It can also adjust to a 4-3 or 3-4 without much difficulty wt 'interchangeable' parts depending on the situation.  Thus, Rhule could hire likeminded assistant D coaches before he hired the DC. 

Last year Frost went out looking for a scheme to work and he found Whip.  Frost's scheme had failed as he misjudged the Big 10. Rhule is fully confident in his scheme and plans on how to resurrect this program and he is looking for likeminded coaches. 

• Plus1 2
27 minutes ago, Ulty said:

Excellent post. Very well said. 

Rhule talks a big game about developing the trenches. Then he goes out and hires a DL coach whose college experience is 2 years at an FCS school. Then you’ve got Donovan. What’re the sheer odds that the absolute best guy Rhule could find for OL just happened to already be on the staff? Yes OL takes time to flip. Yes DR had a couple bad breaks. But there were times the OL truly looked like they’d never played football before. 

The DC hire is also a little confusing/concerning. I would’ve also guessed a DC would’ve been hired first and then give input on assistants. I’m also leery of a 3-3-5 system, if that’s what he intends to run. Yeah yeah yeah, it allows flexibility for this that and the other thing. But forgive me if I’m a bit jaded by coaches who have to show they’re the smartest guy in the stadium. 

Looking at the arrival-departure list, I feel like we’ve only really upgraded at a couple spots. Every other spot looks like a lateral replacement or even a bit of a downgrade. Rhule has the biggest $$ pool for assistants a Neb head coach has ever had, and these hires seem to have thin or unimpressive resumes. 

I’ve also heard a bunch about how all these guys are great recruiters. Okay, that’s fine. But in our worst years and thru multiple staffs, we’ve always been able to outrecruit our division. The issue is we haven’t been able to develop and keep guys. To me, that gets fixed by having competent coaches. 

I was hoping Rhule would fill out a staff with experienced guys, with some of that experience coming from the B1G. Few seem to fit that description. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
  • TBH 2
38 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

In the end, I'm perfectly fine with how fast he has filled out his staff.  Not something to be concerned about, in my opinion.

33 minutes ago, PattyG said:

Rhule must see something we don't and we just have to trust him on that judgement. Hopefully the O-line is improved but only time will tell.

11 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

The bold it where I think you are missing the point somewhat.  Rhule comes across as a guy who knows the scheme he wants to run and will hire accordingly. Period.  This won't be the DC's scheme or the OC's scheme - it will be Rhule's schemes.   

Thanks, fellas. I'll remain hopeful.

3 minutes ago, Fru said:

Excellent post. Very well said. 

Rhule talks a big game about developing the trenches. Then he goes out and hires a DL coach whose college experience is 2 years at an FCS school. Then you’ve got Donovan. What’re the sheer odds that the absolute best guy Rhule could find for OL just happened to already be on the staff? Yes OL takes time to flip. Yes DR had a couple bad breaks. But there were times the OL truly looked like they’d never played football before. 

The DC hire is also a little confusing/concerning. I would’ve also guessed a DC would’ve been hired first and then give input on assistants. I’m also leery of a 3-3-5 system, if that’s what he intends to run. Yeah yeah yeah, it allows flexibility for this that and the other thing. But forgive me if I’m a bit jaded by coaches who have to show they’re the smartest guy in the stadium. 

Looking at the arrival-departure list, I feel like we’ve only really upgraded at a couple spots. Every other spot looks like a lateral replacement or even a bit of a downgrade. Rhule has the biggest $$ pool for assistants a Neb head coach has ever had, and these hires seem to have thin or unimpressive resumes. 

I’ve also heard a bunch about how all these guys are great recruiters. Okay, that’s fine. But in our worst years and thru multiple staffs, we’ve always been able to outrecruit our division. The issue is we haven’t been able to develop and keep guys. To me, that gets fixed by having competent coaches. 

I was hoping Rhule would fill out a staff with experienced guys, with some of that experience coming from the B1G. Few seem to fit that description. 

Glad to see I'm not the only one who has been underwhelmed with the position coaches and coordinators being brought on. 

Then again, we settled with the Rhule hire and we could/should have done better, so I'm not exactly jazzed about what's going on at Memorial Stadium as a whole right now. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3
  • TBH 1