New Head Coaching Staff Selections (Coordinators)

3 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

with the pool of money for assistants you would think they would hire analysts and senior operations directors that everyone has heard of 

Outside of Nick Saban's school for coaches who can't coach good, and Gary Patterson at Texas; name me an analyst or operations person who is a household name.

• Fire 1
  • TBH 1

20 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I got a question and didn't know where to ask?  Why does Nebraska hire position coaches that have to learn on the job and have no prior experience to have taken a job instead of going out and getting a experience coach?  When it comes to having a experience position coach their are more recruiting advantages I would think then not.  Also with a experience coach they have the expertise to solve problems faster then not. What are the benefits to have a inexperienced position coach?  Just food for thought

I think all of them have experience for the job they are taking.  Might not be a lot of years, but they have coached. Position Coaches have to be great teachers, develop relationships, and understand the game.  Head Coach and Coordinators have to make sure all the coaches are on the same page and teaching/drilling everything the way they want it executed.  All of these guys are familiar with what Rhule wants, his scheme is and how he wants it taught.  That is just as valuable as bringing in a guy that has coached a position (maybe a different way/philosophy for 10 years).  This is how you have coaching trees that branch out from a Head Coach.  Great coaches produce not only great players but great coaches.  Hopefully Rhule will be that guy for us and we will be upset in a few years when some of his unknown assistants move on to other jobs.  

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, swmohusker said:

I think all of them have experience for the job they are taking.  Might not be a lot of years, but they have coached. Position Coaches have to be great teachers, develop relationships, and understand the game.  Head Coach and Coordinators have to make sure all the coaches are on the same page and teaching/drilling everything the way they want it executed.  All of these guys are familiar with what Rhule wants, his scheme is and how he wants it taught.  That is just as valuable as bringing in a guy that has coached a position (maybe a different way/philosophy for 10 years).  This is how you have coaching trees that branch out from a Head Coach.  Great coaches produce not only great players but great coaches.  Hopefully Rhule will be that guy for us and we will be upset in a few years when some of his unknown assistants move on to other jobs.  

Thanks for answering.  Do you feel that since we have some guys on the staff that have very little experience it will take them long to teach the 3-3-5 if that is the defense we are going with?  I ask bc the defense Bob Diaco went with the staff struggled to teach the team and we all saw the results on the field.  Coaches especially ones that have very little experience might take longer to teach bc they are learning the concepts themselves or am I wrong on that thinking?  Its like Bob Wager great high school coach down in Texas but he will probably be seeing defense's that he never saw on the high school level.  Yes he can coach fundamental's but I would think you have to learn schemes to outsmart defense's as well.

3 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Thanks for answering.  Do you feel that since we have some guys on the staff that have very little experience it will take them long to teach the 3-3-5 if that is the defense we are going with?  I ask bc the defense Bob Diaco went with the staff struggled to teach the team and we all saw the results on the field.  Coaches especially ones that have very little experience might take longer to teach bc they are learning the concepts themselves or am I wrong on that thinking?  Its like Bob Wager great high school coach down in Texas but he will probably be seeing defense's that he never saw on the high school level.  Yes he can coach fundamental's but I would think you have to learn schemes to outsmart defense's as well.

Looking at the defensive coaches, I don't see anyone with so little experience that raises a red flag.

3 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I don't think anyone has re-invented the wheel defensively as far as base defenses go. The exotic blitzes, stunts, and maybe zone blitzes maybe new. I think a coach like Wager will need to up his expectations from high school to college, and coach to those expectations. I would say the biggest difference Wager would see is that he can't breeze past part of the technique or execution of a drill because he knows his TE is the best in the region or state, he will have to continually push for consistency and development of a player to the highest level. Past that, every D-1 player is a high caliber athlete, players and coaches can not take plays off and expect a positive outcome. (Maybe a few can- but then that changes at the NFL just the same as HS to college).

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I dont think the Defense staff should be in over their heads teaching the Defense.  Just making sure each level of the defense knows their responsibility and communicate to be on the same page.  That is not specific to the 3-3-5, that is for any defense.  Bob Diaco struggled for many reasons, personnel (going from 4 front Pelini and Banker to 3 Front), practice structure, adapting defense to style of play, etc.....  Tony White has talked about it but personnel will dictate your defense.  If we dont have good LB's and are good up front you will see more 4 front alignments.  It will be White's Job to structure his install, drill progressions, meetings to inform the assistant coaches what needs to be taught and how to teach it.  You reevaluate this daily.  

For the Texas HS coach.  He was a Head Coach that ran a team and was in charge of the performance of players and coaches from all 3 phases. He is not being asked to call the offensive plays.  He will be teaching his TE's how to operate in the Run and pass game.  I am sure he is 100% qualified to teach what is asked from our TE's to perform in the offense.  I bet he brings a unique background knowledge from all of his years performing his HS duties that can come in handy too.  There are some very innovative coaches at the HS level too.  Also, Nebraska has had trouble recruiting Texas since joining the B1G and this may be a guy that can get us back into one of most talented football states in the country.  I would consider that a win. 

28 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Looking at the defensive coaches, I don't see anyone with so little experience that raises a red flag.

When I say very little experience i don't mean they haven't worked in the business of college or the pros. But you would think there be a huge difference from being a assistant defensive quality control coach to being a full on position coach.  Aren't the responsibility's more?  Take our new linebackers coach for example yes he has worked for Matt Rhule and as worked behind the scenes with the Panthers but he has never lead a position until now.  Im not questioning what type of coach or coaches they are but how can they go into a kids home and say we will make you better if you say 20 coaches with more experience come to the same kids house with the results of actually putting kids in the NFL?  Then that kid must really love the coach and University if he is going to pick our coach instead of all the other ones.  My point is you would think it be harder to land him or convince him bc college football is a result's base business.  You don't produce you get fired.

10 minutes ago, swmohusker said:

I dont think the Defense staff should be in over their heads teaching the Defense.  Just making sure each level of the defense knows their responsibility and communicate to be on the same page.  That is not specific to the 3-3-5, that is for any defense.  Bob Diaco struggled for many reasons, personnel (going from 4 front Pelini and Banker to 3 Front), practice structure, adapting defense to style of play, etc.....  Tony White has talked about it but personnel will dictate your defense.  If we dont have good LB's and are good up front you will see more 4 front alignments.  It will be White's Job to structure his install, drill progressions, meetings to inform the assistant coaches what needs to be taught and how to teach it.  You reevaluate this daily.  

For the Texas HS coach.  He was a Head Coach that ran a team and was in charge of the performance of players and coaches from all 3 phases. He is not being asked to call the offensive plays.  He will be teaching his TE's how to operate in the Run and pass game.  I am sure he is 100% qualified to teach what is asked from our TE's to perform in the offense.  I bet he brings a unique background knowledge from all of his years performing his HS duties that can come in handy too.  There are some very innovative coaches at the HS level too.  Also, Nebraska has had trouble recruiting Texas since joining the B1G and this may be a guy that can get us back into one of most talented football states in the country.  I would consider that a win. 

Spot on thanks for helping me understand.

5 hours ago, swmohusker said:

I will be over joyed if any of our assistant coaches are pursued by other schools for jobs.  That hasn't happened hardly at all in the last 15 years, we only end up firing them. 

• TBH 1