New Head Coaching Staff Selections (Coordinators)

On 11/14/2022 at 10:05 AM, jager said:

If Bo would have gotten a real DC, he would probably still be here(maybe). People might have put up with his anger issues if he had performed better on D.

Bo's defense was fine. The issue was that with the move to the Big 10 the bodies we had to work with at D end were not big enough. The reason Wisconsin ran for so much on us was due to the D end getting pushed inside so badly that they impeded the flow of the linebackers too. This was exploited in the Big 10 title game when we had our only lineman with size go down and we had to play, I think Cam Meredith in his place. If Bo had a dline built for the BIG and not the BIG12, the defense would have held just fine. Had nothing to do with a coordinator. - That was Riley and Callahan who had that issue. 

• Haha 3
18 minutes ago, The Murphinator said:

Nice get two well regarded high school coaches in recruiting hot beds Texas and Florida.

That is how he built his staff at Baylor. Of course they were Texas guys and he was trying to win the State of Texas. I think it a very good move as far as strategy goes. I know nothing about the two guys though

Just now, Huskerfollower4life said:

I wonder who has come out of his high school to go play in college? I never heard of him but I have heard he is well respected as a football coach in Texas. 

Just read that he has coached in the last 7 under armor all American games and is on the Board of Directors for that game. A lot of connections 

• Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 1
1 minute ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Bo's defense was fine. The issue was that with the move to the Big 10 the bodies we had to work with at D end were not big enough. The reason Wisconsin ran for so much on us was due to the D end getting pushed inside so badly that they impeded the flow of the linebackers too. This was exploited in the Big 10 title game when we had our only lineman with size go down and we had to play, I think Cam Meredith in his place. If Bo had a dline built for the BIG and not the BIG12, the defense would have held just fine. Had nothing to do with a coordinator. - That was Riley and Callahan who had that issue. 

This is sort of true.  However, the horrible game where Wisconsin ran for 1,239,569 yards on jet sweeps was mainly due to scheme. If you go back and watch most of those runs, the DE or OLB would stand there watching somewhere else while the ball carrier would just run around him.  Seriously, go watch.  It's mind boggling.  The DE or OLB wouldn't even hardly make a move to stop the WR flying around him with the ball because he was watching the QB or RB. Or, their first move was always to crash inside.  They wouldn't even be pushed there.  Then had no containment on the outside.  That didn't have anything to do with size, it was because the DE or OLB  wasn't doing the right thing....which I blame on coaching.  They never even adjusted to it during the game.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 2
7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

This is sort of true.  However, the horrible game where Wisconsin ran for 1,239,569 yards on jet sweeps was mainly due to scheme. If you go back and watch most of those runs, the DE or OLB would stand there watching somewhere else while the ball carrier would just run around him.  Seriously, go watch.  It's mind boggling.  The DE or OLB wouldn't even hardly make a move to stop the WR flying around him with the ball because he was watching the QB or RB. Or, their first move was always to crash inside.  They wouldn't even be pushed there.  Then had no containment on the outside.  That didn't have anything to do with size, it was because the DE or OLB  wasn't doing the right thing....which I blame on coaching.  They never even adjusted to it during the game.

That's been one of the main issues with multiple coaching staffs here is not being able to adjust and make changes.

6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Supposedly a few players decided not to do what the defense asked them to do, or at least that was the rumor. But you would think they would wise up or get benched if it clearly wasn't working, so yeah probably scheme. It did always seem like Bo knew his scheme was technically sound so he wouldn't change it, even if what was asked of some players was physically beyond their abilities.

• Plus1 2

37 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Didn't Cam'stache have to play inside that game with injuries?  

1 minute ago, lo country said:

Didn't Cam'stache have to play inside that game with injuries?  

He very well may have.  But, if you watch the defense.  There is absolutely no outside contain and, many times, it's not because the DE or OLB was blocked.  It was because they were moving out of position to have any chance to have contain.  Their eyes aren't even watching the ball carrier.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I wonder who has come out of his high school to go play in college? I never heard of him but I have heard he is well respected as a football coach in Texas. 

#58 overall player for the 2023 class a CB committed to LSU, a 6'5" converted basketball player (Ismael Smith Flores) who is currently projected to go to Iowa, could be more but I didn't look too hard. 

• Oh Yeah! 1
3 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Mitch Sherman just said on the radio that he developed Myles Garrett. I’m assuming that meant that he coached him.

• Oh Yeah! 1