B1G Week 12

Mavric

On 11/14/2022 at 8:04 PM, nic said:

Purdue wins then…cause the Little Brown Jug is between Michigan and Minnesota. ;) 

LOL I am an idiot!  10 years of big ten football and I still don't know the rivalry trophies yet :rickjames

So what do Iowa & Minnesota play for?  The bow and arrow?  The ax?  Old Spice?? :dunno

24 minutes ago, admo said:

LOL I am an idiot!  10 years of big ten football and I still don't know the rivalry trophies yet :rickjames

So what do Iowa & Minnesota play for?  The bow and arrow?  The ax?  Old Spice?? :dunno

A pig maybe…called Floyd? Honestly I would have to look it up.

• Haha 1

Thanks @nic !!!

Yes we should all know by now.  Indiana vs Purdue, Wisconsin vs Minnesota, Illinois vs Northwestern, etc, etc...... I think a lot of big ten teams that have been around for so long have a trophy game.  I think it's cool for the league.  I should have it all memorized by now. 

37 minutes ago, admo said:

Thanks @nic !!!

Yes we should all know by now.  Indiana vs Purdue, Wisconsin vs Minnesota, Illinois vs Northwestern, etc, etc...... I think a lot of big ten teams that have been around for so long have a trophy game.  I think it's cool for the league.  I should have it all memorized by now. 

You picked the best one with the best story in my opinion. The little Brown Jug is cool and authentic. It’s also the oldest and most played for trophy. USC and UCLA will bring the victory bell trophy when they join. 

• Oh Yeah! 1
15 minutes ago, nic said:

You picked the best one with the best story in my opinion. The little Brown Jug is cool and authentic. It’s also the oldest and most played for trophy. USC and UCLA will bring the victory bell trophy when they join. 

:)  Ok so bottom line is this.... Iowa beats Minnesota and Nebraska, they win the West.  Which suuucks.  

And did you know (I have to look it up, going off recent memory) that Minnesota has struggled (losing) with Iowa as badly as Nebraska has?  I don't think PJ Fleck has ever won against them.  Which means this game will be a doozy, and favors Iowa historically (maybe not in Vegas)

11 hours ago, admo said:

:)  Ok so bottom line is this.... Iowa beats Minnesota and Nebraska, they win the West.  Which suuucks.  

And did you know (I have to look it up, going off recent memory) that Minnesota has struggled (losing) with Iowa as badly as Nebraska has?  I don't think PJ Fleck has ever won against them.  Which means this game will be a doozy, and favors Iowa historically (maybe not in Vegas)

I am pulling for Minnesota or Purdue 

On 11/15/2022 at 10:09 PM, nic said:

A pig maybe…called Floyd? Honestly I would have to look it up.

Floyd of Rosedale.  It was originally an actual pig.  Back in the 30s Iowa had one of the only black players playing for a major college program and Minnesota roughed him up a little which was of course at that time overlooked by the officials.  The following year there was a lot of talk going on before the game so in order to calm things down the Iowa and Minnesota governors bet each respective state's prize pig.  Minnesota won and so the Iowa governor purchased the pig who was raised in Rosedale, IA and delivered him to the Minnesota governor (whose first name was Floyd and thus had the pig named after him).  The pig was never slaughtered for food and ended up living on a farm in southern Minnesota.  When it died it was buried a few miles north of the Iowa border in a spot about halfway between the two schools.  A statue was created in his honor and that is what is now played for.

• Thanks 1

S3t your day accordingly and get your clicker ready!  because this weekend will be fun for the whole family!

Illinois at #3 Michigan Wolverines  11AM on ABC!

Indiana at Michigan State  11AM on BTN!

Wisconsin at NEBRASKA  11AM on ESPN!

Northwestern at Purdue  11AM on FS1!

#11 Penn State at Rutgers  230PM on BTN

#2 Ohio State at Maryland 230PM on ABC!

Iowa at Minnesota 300PM on FOX!  "Not the little brown jug trophy!  It's a pig game!" chuckleshufflechuckleshuffle