Transfers & jucos

NUpolo8

not necessarily.......as long as we continue to get JUCO's that can contribute quickly, we will continue to seek them out.......look at Taylor and Wilson.....they will both pretty assuredly be key contributers to the success of the program....cally will seek out talent wherever he can find it......pretty resourceful, if you ask me....

hunter

I agree hunter. Take what you can get. We have not had to great of luck with the top high school QBs. If they don't want to come, get some one who does.

I am not totally in favor of Keller for different reasons, but if he is as good as expected and fills the gap fine.

I see it hurting recruiting of top kids. They want to play now. There are draw backs to the top level kids. Show me the money!!!! Is the battle cry of todays top high school athletes.

That's good news. I saw on Rivals a blurb that read "Read what Coach Callahan and Joe Ganz have to say about bringing in Sam Keller." I don't have a subscription, but being grouped with Callahan, it seems like anything Ganz said would have been positive and welcoming.

***SNIP***

While there is no questioning of Taylor's or the other's ability, I wonder if this is the "correct " way.

One of the numerous things that bother me about schools like KSU, Fla. St., Penn St., or more recently, Cal, is that they are bringing in many Juco's and transfers to expidite the process along. While this helps ease the coaches system change, and keeps their record somewhat respectable (so they can continue to work), I feel you are only furthering the notion that your program is simply a conduit for NFL scouts. Not a college, a program steeped in tradition, not an atmosphere, essesntially what makes rooting for your school special.

I am probably jumping the gun here, and I am incredibly biased having a degree from NU, but I always thought we as a school were above that. I for one, want to see players sign, learn through the system, get handed the reins and flourish. Essentially, I want the learning process to take place in these young men just like they would they were traditional students learning about life inside and outside of the campus. Of course, while I'm at it, I want 10 million dollars in my bank account and my faucet to pour Fat Tire, but that's besides the point. I know Callahan is just getting started, and he has a looong way to go and he is learning the process with his players, but I do not want us to be another school that borrows jucos and lifts transfers for its marquee positions and "stars".

While I share your thoughts, I think we all need to recognize that times are different. With the limitations on scholarships, and the number of schools going after the same high school stars, inevitably the demand outstrips the supply of talent.

When there were more scholarships, or when we could run a walk-on program of almost unimaginable size, or when we ran an offense that required unique skill sets, then foregoing JUCOs was an option (no pun intended). None of those factors remain, and we have to adjust to the fact that all but the highest level of teams (those that are currently considered the best of the best) will have to go the JUCO route to either fill needs.

USC, Texas, and the Florida schools will always have a recruiting advantage based on location, the number of high schools, or both. For everyone else - including Nebraska - you have to take talent wherever you find it.

Do I see the numbers of JUCOs dropping off as our record continues to improve? Sure. Do I see us foregoing talented JUCOs who fit our system and who have the character that Callahan seems to seek? Nope - nor should we.