Scott Frost's first game

BoNeyard

2018 Colorado @ Nebraska One Hour - YouTube

Watched the first 7:22 of this video and continually asked myself, "Why didn't this work out?" The first drive ends in a fumble, but before that every single play was positive yardage. Even the fumbled play got the first down. But it also made me think of the next head coach and I just don't see, unless it's a mega name, any coach coming in and generating that amount of buzz and excitement that we all experienced in 2018. Why and how I stumbled upon this video today? I don't know. Wish I hadn't because it took me back to the days of having high hopes and excitement for Nebraska football. 

I also stopped watching at the 10:11 mark as I knew what direction the next 4 years went.

• Plus1 1

We were at what was supposed to be his first game.  He had the gates on fire thing.  He had the big intro and the macho look and all that. 

Then we had the drenching downpour and both teams left the field while there was that strange but cool party like atmosphere in the stands as some took off and tried to wring out their shirts.  Then came the lightening.  Then we left. 

Then his career here went pretty much the same direction as all that happened that night at Memorial Stadium.

• Plus1 5
  • TBH 1
3 minutes ago, Hagg said:

We were at what was supposed to be his first game.  He had the gates on fire thing.  He had the big intro and the macho look and all that. 

Then we had the drenching downpour and the party like atmosphere in the stands as some took off and tried to ring out their shirts.  Then came the lightening.  Then we left. 

Then his career here went pretty much the same direction as all that happened that night at Memorial Stadium.

I was at that game, too. Had an eye on radar the whole time, and saw all the lightning from the train of storms down south, heading right at Memorial Stadium. Matt Serwe, the former Omaha weather guy, said there was no way that game was going to be played, so I got my dad out of there.

• Plus1 2
23 minutes ago, Hagg said:

Then we had the drenching downpour and the party like atmosphere in the stands as some took off and tried to ring out their shirts.  Then came the lightening.  Then we left. 

Talk about an omen of what was to come

• TBH 2

45 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

Watched the first 7:22 of this video and continually asked myself, "Why didn't this work out?" The first drive ends in a fumble, but before that every single play was positive yardage. Even the fumbled play got the first down. But it also made me think of the next head coach and I just don't see, unless it's a mega name, any coach coming in and generating that amount of buzz and excitement that we all experienced in 2018. Why and how I stumbled upon this video today? I don't know. Wish I hadn't because it took me back to the days of having high hopes and excitement for Nebraska football. 

I also stopped watching at the 10:11 mark as I knew what direction the next 4 years went.

I don't think Frost ever truly committed to winning here. The guy USED TO BE a great coach. I believe his personal commitment to excellence fluctuated between 50%-80% while here.

Scott had the potential - the abilities, to be successful here. But for some reason (fear of failure, fear of success, imposter's syndrome -- a mix of these?) he never committed - he didn't follow through.

• Thanks 2
6 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

At the time I truly believed that had the Akron game gone off as scheduled, it would have been a very different 2018 season.

Now I'm thinking.....maybe not so much. 

I still think that had the Akron game been played it would have been a very different era for Frost. Hell, I still think had that game been played he could very well still be here today and we are talking about beating Iowa to seal a Big Ten West division title. 

That day was the football God's entering this Earth and preventing what was to be. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
52 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

I would love to see what Grant could do behind that offensive line.

8 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

I still think that had the Akron game been played it would have been a very different era for Frost. Hell, I still think had that game been played he could very well still be here today and we are talking about beating Iowa to seal a Big Ten West division title. 

That day was the football God's entering this Earth and preventing what was to be. 

Then Scott lost to an equally mediocre Colorado team with a fourth quarter collapse in 2019, on his way to his best record as Husker coach:   5-7.

I don't think God cared much either way. The Frost era wasn't going anywhere. 

• TBH 1
1 hour ago, BoNeyard said:

Yup- it seemed like it was cursed from the very beginning. First game- cancelled. Fumble on the first drive. Martinez getting hurt with the game on the line. The backup qb situation essentially guaranteeing the next few games would be losses with AMart out.  Snakebit.

• Plus1 1