Whoever gets the HC job, I hope they burn the "black shirt" tradition for good.

The Whale

48 minutes ago, Lunchbucket said:

Get rid of depth charts then. They are special being 1st string

Get rid of green jerseys then they are special

Blackshirts meant more when we had dominant defenses. People wanted them and strive to earn them.  It was an honor to have them

But yes we should field a dominant defense, I agree with that

SMGDH

Yeah, a depth chart isn’t inclusive.  All players should just take turns.  

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, The Whale said:

"Black Shirts" have become a weird distraction for several years now, and it's high time they just go away - it's not 1995 anymore.

Black Shirts separate the team in an unproductive way; fielding an amazing lights out defense should simply be our standard, and not something to make a big deal out of.

Look at Iowa's defense the last several years - one of the best statistically speaking over the last decade, and they just go out and get their business done with zero hype. That's actually a good model for how our D should operate going forward.

I think the Blackshirts should be up to the players not posters on a message board. 

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, gorp512 said:

Rhule loves stuff like the Blackshirts. If it's him, be prepared for some fun rollouts 

https://temple-news.com/rhule-reinstates-tradition-of-single-digit-numbers/

https://www.fox44news.com/sports/rhule-awards-first-single-digit-numbers/

Gimmicky, tchotchke-like traditions only work when you're winning. Once the losses start piling up, they just look stupid - and yes, they tend to distract from what's actually important.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I asked a question about the blackshirts and its posted in the 2022 blackshirt topic but I guess nope cares other rise you would think someone would answered it by now :dunno

There is no reason to go to a different thread and complain about people not responding in another thread.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1

The Blackshirt tradition needs to stay amongst the players. How and who they are awarded to shouldn’t be “civilian” knowledge.  Didn’t hear much about it until the mid 90s, and then of course with all the coaching changes, the media attention of how the new regimes would handle it, etc .. and the scrutiny over differences in process… that’s when it became over discussed.

I never considered the Blackshirts as a reward base concept.  Or a performance-based incentive.  That would be nuts.

I think most of us think of the Blackshirts as Nebraska's starting defense. 

And with the tradition coming from way back (1970 ish ???), that is cool enough to embrace as it is.  Nothing more or less.

Now if you want to discuss which Blackshirt defense was awesome or wasn't good, that is something different.  Still the Blackhirts tho.

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 1
1 hour ago, admo said:

I never considered the Blackshirts as a reward base concept.  Or a performance-based incentive.  That would be nuts.

And with the tradition coming from way back (1970 ish ???), that is cool enough to embrace as it is.  Nothing more or less.

Now if you want to discuss which Blackshirt defense was awesome or wasn't good, that is something different.  Still the Blackhirts tho.

This! Blackshirts meaning got lost when coaches gave into fan pressure to pull them after a bad game or to insist they had to be "earned" by on field performance.

1) Fans are idiots

2) A Blackshirt is earned when a player is named to the first team defense. It is lost if they get beat out period. The end. 

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 2
12 hours ago, admo said:

That would be the 60's it started. 64 i think.

GBR!!!

18 hours ago, Rhuletheday said:

Stop making it an honor.  You cannot create a team environment when special (visible) status is given to certain players.  Everyone on the Husker D is a blackshirt.  Everyone on the Husker D wears a blackshirt in practice, just how it was when it all started.  I do say we need to get rid of the skull and bones.  We are a collegiate football team, not a biker gang. 

This guy doesn't know his Husker history.

• Plus1 2