*** Matt Rhule Hired as New Husker Head Coach ***

Mavric

4 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

First seasons under a new staff can experience growing pains.

Possibly. But we were surprisingly competitive the past 2 seasons with a complete circus leading the show. It will be fun to watch Rhule work, but if he brings in a good to great staff, I’m pretty confident we could see 8-4 type results next year. 

I'd very much like MJ to remain but I think he has too many loyal fans (me) that need him to move on. We need now to cut the ties to avoid internal strife. I am and will always be a HUGE Mickey fan. Yes I was hoping he'd become our next HC but now is the time to support the new staff. We'll know in a week how well Rhule can relate to young men when announced transfers and commits make decisions. Let's hope for the best for everyone here and give the new staff the support they deserve.

On a side note.. I believe yesterday showed just how close we are to righting the ship and honestly, MJ can walk with his head held high. From the start he said he, this staff and these players would stay or go but the team would be better off and they are.

• Plus1 4
23 minutes ago, sho said:

To the bolded name, I've heard there's animosity to how their time ended in Carolina.  If true, I don't expect Joe to come.  And because of the rumored animosity, MJ may not stay.  Supposedly he was also upset by how things shook out in Carolina and doesn't think he can work with Rhule because of it.

What’s this ?

18 hours ago, Loebarth said:

I'm thinking this hire (if it's absolute) is a wait and see. He has had success rebuilding programs but there's one thing everyone is overlooking... state populations. Texas #2, Pennsylvania #5 and then you have Nebraska #37... In the two previous rebuilds (Temple & Baylor respectively) Rhule was surrounded with talent. That's not the case here so we'll have to wait and see. 

Good point & one reason it would be a no-brainer to keep recruiter extraordinaire Mickey.

1 minute ago, Husker03 said:

Possibly. But we were surprisingly competitive the past 2 seasons with a complete circus leading the show. It will be fun to watch Rhule work, but if he brings in a good to great staff, I’m pretty confident we could see 8-4 type results next year. 

NU could go anywhere from 3-9 to 9-3 next year, and that won't mean anything for the long-term success for Rhule.  I just get annoyed with record expectations for the first season of new head coaches.

• Plus1 2
Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

NU could go anywhere from 3-9 to 9-3 next year, and that won't mean anything for the long-term success for Rhule.  I just get annoyed with record expectations for the first season of new head coaches.

I think we'll struggle to win 3 games next year. Year 2 under the new coach is where we'll see if we're improving or not.

• TBH 1
  • Mavric changed the title to *** Matt Rhule Hired as New Husker Head Coach ***

Not sure if this would play into keeping MJ but this is how Rhule thinks when it comes to WR recruiting. 

Rhule often argues with his receiver coach about positional preference. Some coaches prefer change of direction and fluidity at receiver; Rhule is straight speed. “We never sit there on defense and go: “’Oh no, how are we going to cover this guy? He’s got such good change of direction.’ We say, ‘This guy scares us because he might run past us.’”

29 minutes ago, 1HuskerDad said:

Oh my God! He runs the QB sneak! That means no more lining up in a dumba$$ shotgun formation on 3rd and inches. Already a win in my book! 

Why not on 2nd-and-short? It's simple: Rhule loves the quarterback sneak there. "We changed our season by just going QB sneak," he said. "We were 14-of-14, including two plays of over 15 yards. 2nd and 1-2 is direct run, preferably QB sneak."

• Oh Yeah! 1

I think our expectations should be realistic, but yet if the guy can coach and recruit, even decently this year, we should win 5 games next season.  Big 10 West is the worst division in all of college football.  Iowa is going downhill, Wisky is in trouble even with keeping Leonard, Minny is going to be Minny, but they don't scare me, Purdue is going to have a different team next season, so to think that we can't compete right out of the gate is also not right mentality.  I don't expect a Big 10 champion next season, but I do expect to see improvement in record and team play.  We are as far down as we have ever been.  I don't think massive improvement is asking alot, right now.  We could massive improve and still only win 4-5 games next season......but I think now is the time to do this.  Now is the time to get a new coach in here and see what we can do.  Rhule is going to have to work is rear off to get recruits in here, and even flipping some from other schools........no one is off the table at this point.  Its the start of a new ERA.........I am excited!

• Mavric pinned this topic
  • Enhance locked this topic
  • Mavric unpinned this topic