*** Matt Rhule Hired as New Husker Head Coach ***

Mavric

17 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Yes, an improvement in coaching staff should make a difference.  However, I just think it's unfair to put record expectations on the new coaching staff for the first season.  First seasons under a new staff can experience growing pains.

Absolutely. I don’t have any (well many) expectations. There will definitely be growing pains. 

But…….  We do play in a incredibly weak division. I don’t think six wins is unrealistic goal.  But just beat Colorado and I’ll be satisfied. 

• Plus1 1

Is this the hire that most people wanted?  I don't think its the flashy hire we all wanted, but its the guy who wants the job right now.  This shows that we are not the sexy of a job, and this guy has rebuilt teams from nothing into something.  I am good with this hire.  This is the guy who restarted Baylor, not Aranda.  Rhule has success, and runs the ball, power scheme wise.  He also gets big QB's who can run some, not featherweights like Casey.  I don't know if we have a QB on this roster who can run his offense the way he wants it.    We may never really know how many coaches turned us down, but I have to think Rhule was not our first choice.  If he was our first choice, great, we got the guy Trev wanted.

• Fire 1
Just now, Born N Bled Red said:

One drawback from this hire, since he's not a sitting coach, he doesn't have a pool of recruits he's been working with or players that will follow him to help flip the roster. Year 1 is probably going to be painful.

On the flip side, he doesn’t have an entire staff to bring as his warm fuzzy entourage. He’ll be putting that together piece by piece. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2
  • Mavric pinned this topic

5 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

Is this the hire that most people wanted?  I don't think its the flashy hire we all wanted, but its the guy who wants the job right now.  This shows that we are not the sexy of a job, and this guy has rebuilt teams from nothing into something.  I am good with this hire.  This is the guy who restarted Baylor, not Aranda.  Rhule has success, and runs the ball, power scheme wise.  He also gets big QB's who can run some, not featherweights like Casey.  I don't know if we have a QB on this roster who can run his offense the way he wants it.    We may never really know how many coaches turned us down, but I have to think Rhule was not our first choice.  If he was our first choice, great, we got the guy Trev wanted.

I think he was the top of our list. I’m not sure anybody turned us down. Possibly Meyer…..possibly Fickell but I wouldn’t view either of those as a rebuke to Nebraska. Meyer doesn’t need to coach and sure doesn’t need to take any chances with his coaching reputation. And Fickell going any place outside of Ohio probably just ain’t happening.

Flash is no kind of resume. We don’t need or want flash. What we got is what we needed, a serious tough nose coach who will build the lines and develop players and finally get us winning more games than we lose. Homerun IMO.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 2
3 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

On the flip side, he doesn’t have an entire staff to bring as his warm fuzzy entourage. He’ll be putting that together piece by piece. 

I'll also say I do think there is incredible power to a coach looking at a kid and saying "so you want to play in the NFL huh? Well I was a head coach there. I know what it takes and I promise if you play for me we will do everything in our power to get you NFL ready" 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

I think we go 8-4 next year. Instant progress. Not a ton of work to do, really. 

If you consider by beating Northwestern and a D2 school this year they would be bowl eligibile.  Stop Wisconsin and they would be in the West hunt.

Joseph almost turned us around bowl eligible if not for the no first downs backup QB play.

A tweek here and there, a player here and there, and 6 wins is doable.  Fewer penalties, turnovers, and a kicker and they could take the west.  The west is that bad.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2
  • Enhance locked this topic
  • Mavric unpinned this topic