*** Matt Rhule Hired as New Husker Head Coach ***

Mavric

21 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

One drawback from this hire, since he's not a sitting coach, he doesn't have a pool of recruits he's been working with or players that will follow him to help flip the roster. Year 1 is probably going to be painful.

Darn.  I was hoping a couple of Panthers would transfer in. 

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

Possibly. But we were surprisingly competitive the past 2 seasons with a complete circus leading the show. It will be fun to watch Rhule work, but if he brings in a good to great staff, I’m pretty confident we could see 8-4 type results next year. 

Just calling a few right plays would've saved many of the close games.

• Fire 2

No mores:

No more PR disasters and 'off the field behavior rumors'.

No more NCAA infractions.

No more of the HC throwing the team under the bus in the post game pressers.

No more Shot gun formation on 3rd and short.

No more OL that has no push.

No more throwing the ball 10 yards incomplete on 3rd and short.

No more throwing the ball 6 yards for a completion on 3rd and 9. 

No more saying 'we had the best practice ever'.

No more losing to iowa and wisconsin on the regular. 

No more missing a bowl game every year.

No more throwing the ball a billion times a game and allowing our opponent to control the clock via their run game.

No more face palm end of game clock management blunders.

No more insanely complex offensive and defensive schemes.

No more losing seasons. 

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 2

I think Trev and the admin did a good job of keeping focus and not going after some flashy new coach. I bet they got shot down a lot but still didn't just settle for a one-dimensional offensive coach. Everybody's talking about offense offense offense while their defense looks like the 2007 Kansas game.

Read we hired Rhule this morning.  I didn’t even have much of a reaction after reading it.

The son of a preacher part of Rhule must have sounded great to Trev is honestly one of the fist things I thought of.  I’d also love to know just who was offered before him and who ultimately said no.

All I can say is it is what it is yet once again and this guy better recruit his a$$ off and just as importantly he’d better put together one helluva staff of assistants.  He can start with Mickey Joseph.

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Read we hired Rhule this morning.  I didn’t even have much of a reaction after reading it.

The son of a preacher part of Rhule must have sounded great to Trev is honestly one of the fist things I thought of.

All I can say is it is what it is yet once again and this guy better recruit his a$$ off and just as importantly he’d better put together one helluva staff of assistants.  He can start with Mickey Joseph.

Rhule will probably start with Phil Snow.

• TBH 1

Dating back to his time as the Owls’ recruiting coordinator, Rhule asked himself a question that would determine Temple’s ceiling: “How are we ever going to beat (Penn State) if they automatically get the first pick over us?” Rhule meant in recruiting where, even mired in scandal, the Nittany Lions recruited at a level well above Temple’s capability. Penn State’s 2014 class ranked 24th nationally. The Owls signed the nation’s No. 69 overall class in Rhule’s first full cycle as a head coach.

Rhule needed a way to scale the gap. Rhule’s long-time defensive coordinator, Phil Snow, taught Rhule in the early 2000s at UCLA the importance of track times in recruiting. He wanted a verification of a player’s speed.

Over a decade later, Rhule took that philosophy a step further. Knowing could never land the type of polished standout Penn State did annually, Rhule stocked his roster with raw, high-upside athletes. They required development but many of the players shared traits the NFL desired: Speed, length, size, explosiveness.

Really like seeing this.  I he seen this philosophy referenced before but I thought perhaps it was brought in by an assistant at Baylor.  Apparently it's been his philosophy all along.

We need to walk before we can run.  But I don't think it will take much to be competing for the West (or whatever the setup is going forward) every year.  But we also have to do a good deal of the above to really get back to where we want to be.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
  • Enhance locked this topic
  • Mavric unpinned this topic