*** Matt Rhule Hired as New Husker Head Coach ***

Mavric

3 minutes ago, GSG said:

While I agree it can be done, they didn't have social media full of asshats purposefully trying to cause division because they didn't get their way 

Rhule and Mickey will just need to get the team to sing “Ain’t no Mountain High Enough” in the showers. At least I think it was that song. I don’t remember that movie very well. 

• Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2

29 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

My one concern about Mickey being retained and going back to WR coach and AHC is that there could be a core group of players who would still look at Mickey as “their head coach”. I am not saying Mickey would be divisive, but it could just happen naturally with the way the players are.  That would undermine Rhule’s ability to create the program how he wants it to be. That’s why it may be best for the long-term to have a clean break and move forward with a completely new staff. 

I was thinking more along the fan base becoming divided.  I agree about Mickey.  I do not think that he would be divisive.  Been around too long and too professional, but I can see the players having issues.  A clean break might be the best thing for all involved tbh.  

Just now, lo country said:

I was thinking more along the fan base becoming divided.  I agree about Mickey.  I do not think that he would be divisive.  Been around too long and too professional, but I can see the players having issues.  A clean break might be the best thing for all involved tbh.  

That’s fair too. Especially if Rhule gets off to a slow start in his first year. “Why did we pay so much for this guy???  We could have just given the job to Mickey!!”

• Haha 1
  • TBH 1
Just now, Huskerfollower4life said:

Well he does have a track record of not having good years to start off but once he starts turning it around the ship does get going.

Yeah, but too many college football fans are focused only on their team and don’t understand that Rhule had that type of record at Temple and Baylor. They are just going to look at the short-term results and flip out (if 2023 is poor). 

Mickey wasn’t signed on to be the head coach. He kinda got thrust into it and had to make the best of it. He was an amazing interim head coach. He kept everyone together and gave them something to play for. Anyone putting on the tape can see he’s not ready to be a game day head coach. That’s maybe something he can develop, but it’s not his skill set at the moment.

But, if he and Ruhle can decide they can work together then you back the truck up for Mickey. There is so much money thrown at coaches in the name of hopes and dreams that often times doesn’t pan out. Mickey, as a position coach, recruiter, and just general people asset, is as wise of an investment as there is.

You find the money to pay Mickey.

• Plus1 1
25 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

We finally have a head coach, and we are not happy with him?  Mickey might have done ok, but odds are he just doesn't have enough......not a coordinator, just a WR coach.  If Mickey would have had some coordinator experience, that might have mattered some.  Anyway, its all a mute point now.

Rhule is not Urban, but is Urban, Urban now? 

Many years ago I applied for a position and wasn’t hired. At the time I was upset. I took it personally when I shouldn’t have.

A couple of years later I happened to be at a theater. There was the guy doing the hiring with his family. He remembered me and asked how I was doing. We had a nice conversation. Leaving after the movie we chatted a bit more prior to parting.

It was good knowing that he respected me as a person. 

There was a working relationship between him and the person that was hired. He was a really good boss. People enjoyed working with him. Qualified and professional.

In truth, I brought a lot to the table but didn’t have enough qualifications in comparison to the eventual hire. That doesn’t necessarily make me or anyone unworthy of consideration or that we are wholly incompetent. It just means that someone else was a better fit according to qualifications and what was needed for that particular organization and their team.

Everyone with very few exceptions likes Mickey Joseph. He’s a good guy with a variety of skills and competencies. He has a great deal to offer no doubt about that. 

The thing is though, can we afford to overlook what is necessary however many other good qualities a person has? That usually results in forcing things. It’s not in the interest of the team or even to the person who desires the position.

These last many years have been hard for us. It’s not easy seeing your team fail again and again with very little or no progress being made.

A lot of folks wanted Mickey to be our head coach. Others wanted another option than the one that Trev selected.

As a person that is supporting Matt Rhule, as a fan I’d just ask to go easy on our peers that wanted Mickey or someone else. They love our team as much as we do. 

If the hire wasn’t Rhule, those others would be asking us to be open and supportive. 

Like Scott Frost and all the other coaches that came before him, our new coach and his staff have to prove themselves successful just as Mickey and his staff or another candidate would have.

Things aren’t always as they seem. Often aren’t. The unknown is uncomfortable. We can support each other and our team. 

Can we give our coach the benefit of the doubt for now, support his team and be a force of encouragement? 

We’re in a tough spot. We need to be supportive and respectful to others having differing opinions than our own. It’s not about any one person. We’re on the same team. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • Enhance locked this topic
  • Mavric unpinned this topic