*** Matt Rhule Hired as New Husker Head Coach ***

Mavric

13 minutes ago, brophog said:

Mickey wasn’t signed on to be the head coach. He kinda got thrust into it and had to make the best of it. He was an amazing interim head coach. He kept everyone together and gave them something to play for. Anyone putting on the tape can see he’s not ready to be a game day head coach. That’s maybe something he can develop, but it’s not his skill set at the moment.

But, if he and Ruhle can decide they can work together then you back the truck up for Mickey. There is so much money thrown at coaches in the name of hopes and dreams that often times doesn’t pan out. Mickey, as a position coach recruiter, and just general people asset is as wise of an investment as there is.

You find the money to pay Mickey.

Lemme guess, yer his agent?

I really like MJ and Rhule seems like a relationship builder and wants to learn. I have to believe Rhule wants MJ. This so much reminds me of USC and Donte Williams last year. USC went out and hired a big name head coach and retained Williams, things are working out well for everyone. I think this ultimately will come down to MJ and him wanting to be here. I don’t fault him for looking at his options but I have to believe a high level position on this staff at his alma mater with him knowing the kids, having committed recruits, already living here. What other jobs are open that are better? I don’t believe there are other head coaching jobs open where he is seriously considered. And those don’t make sense because elite WR’s will want to play on a prominent program and top conference. Rhule has won in college and just came from the NFL. He will have a good staff and resources. MJ wins in this whole thing too IMO. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

My one concern about Mickey being retained and going back to WR coach and AHC is that there could be a core group of players who would still look at Mickey as “their head coach”. I am not saying Mickey would be divisive, but it could just happen naturally with the way the players are.  That would undermine Rhule’s ability to create the program how he wants it to be. That’s why it may be best for the long-term to have a clean break and move forward with a completely new staff. 

Mickey wouldn't let that happen. 

• Fire 1
  • TBH 1

4 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

Do you guys think Rhule will put his family and friends on staff like some of our former coaches,  or will this be only legitimate coaches?
Does anyone know if he has a goofy brother or uncle who will be hitting on the donor's daughters?
Just want to get ahead of any potential problems.

Don't think so we can't afford to not hit on this hire. For the money and length of the contract it better be legitimate coaches or if not then we like getting in our own way over and over again.

5 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

Do you guys think Rhule will put his family and friends on staff like some of our former coaches,  or will this be only legitimate coaches?
Does anyone know if he has a goofy brother or uncle who will be hitting on the donor's daughters?
Just want to get ahead of any potential problems.

I understand Matt’s dad has been involved.

As for assistants, we’ll have to wait and see. Hopefully he puts together a group of competent coaches!

I hope that whoever Matt Rhule hires as the defense coordinator he instills discipline like if your defense is sucking and losing and they make a good play please don't celebrate. It makes whoever does it look dumb. You should be celebrating making great plays for the defense if the team isn't losing that's my thought on that. That's one thing I hated with SF staff.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I hope that whoever Matt Rhule hires as the defense coordinator he instills discipline like if your defense is sucking and losing and they make a good play please don't celebrate. It makes whoever does it look dumb. You should be celebrating making great plays for the defense if the team isn't losing that's my thought on that. That's one thing I hated with SF staff.

I’ve always loved touchdown or first down celebrating when you’re getting destroyed.

• Haha 1
  • TBH 1
  • Enhance locked this topic
  • Mavric unpinned this topic