*** Matt Rhule Hired as New Husker Head Coach ***

Mavric

Hey ya’ll! First timer here, have visited this site occasionally over the years and finally decided to be a contributor! 

I think Trev Alberts really handled himself well throughout this. For whatever reason, this university and football team have somehow found a way to have egg on their faces more often than not. Refreshing to see us act like professionals throughout this.

I found it a little peculiar the local media was shut out from this when news broke.  Does anyone think this was intentional? As in, a way for trev to send a message and perhaps chart a course of making Nebraska more of a national entity?  While I am new here, I do read and listen to most of the local reporters on the program (I’d argue we could do without half, if not more, or the writers that are assigned to Neb sports).

I think it would be beneficial for us to be more of a national brand and, in a way, reduce some of the influence/sources local media has to lessen some of the fishbowl effect

• Fire 1
14 hours ago, nupowr said:

This is a f#&%up hire.  A mistake by Trev or whoever is calling the shots (7.5 mill check writer.) Nebraska is not Texas.  This is not the Big 12.  Rhule will ulimately get to 7 ish wins at NU, be fired, and someone will write another 7.5 mill check.   It is getting ridiculous.  If Mickey is not assistant head coach, and lead recruiter I am out.  Way to go NU, you had a Black HC for as long as you could stand it I guess.  

What I don't understand is why some people think Mickey Joseph had already proved himself better than all other head coaching options. 

I understand even less what Texas or the Big 12 have to do with it.  

• Plus1 3
11 hours ago, Enhance said:

My favorite is being down two scores and giving the crowd the ol'

giphy.gif

There was a game this season where a defensive back made a big jarring hit that he celebrated with another player, seemingly unaware that they had just given up a first down near the goal line on the way to a meltdown loss. 

• Plus1 1
Just now, Guy Chamberlin said:

There was a game this season where a defensive back made a big jarring hit that he celebrated with another player, seemingly unaware that they had just given up a first down near the goal line on the way to a meltdown loss. 

My favorite is when a cornerback celebrates by doing the incomplete sign yet it was a clear pass interference on us. 

8 minutes ago, NewRhulerInTown said:

Hey ya’ll! First timer here, have visited this site occasionally over the years and finally decided to be a contributor! 

I think Trev Alberts really handled himself well throughout this. For whatever reason, this university and football team have somehow found a way to have egg on their faces more often than not. Refreshing to see us act like professionals throughout this.

I found it a little peculiar the local media was shut out from this when news broke.  Does anyone think this was intentional? As in, a way for trev to send a message and perhaps chart a course of making Nebraska more of a national entity?  While I am new here, I do read and listen to most of the local reporters on the program (I’d argue we could do without half, if not more, or the writers that are assigned to Neb sports).

I think it would be beneficial for us to be more of a national brand and, in a way, reduce some of the influence/sources local media has to lessen some of the fishbowl effect

It provided an opportunity to give Nebraska much needed positive exposure on the national level and limited the negative reactions of some of the local in state media influences. 

• Thanks 2
3 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

What I don't understand is why some people think Mickey Joseph had already proved himself better than all other head coaching options. 

I understand even less what Texas or the Big 12 have to do with it.  

That and he doesn't understand that there was an exhaustive search for the best qualified coach. I'm sure many of them said no thanks. Maybe things would've turned out different if Mickey hadn't been hamstrung by Whipple and Thompson's inability to just get a first down when it was needed. I think some fans don't understand that this is all about building a solid Wisconsin/ Penn State type foundation that will be consistent every game on both sides of the ball and not about just firing up the boys. Trev should've made Whipple the interim because now we see the can of worms he opened and wonder if Mickey's presence on the staff would cause dissension. I don't think it will, but you wonder when you hear so many fans complaining.

50 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

The players are making more money than most kids coming out of college with a degree. 

That's not from the revenue they're generating though. That's just rich people handing them money. That also doesn't mean they're getting paid what they're worth. 

Once they negotiate a rightful cut of revenue, their pay will increase significantly. If they negotiate a CBA that gets them 50% of revenue, similar to the NBA or NFL, B1G players can expect to split 50% of $120 million+ per year.

$60 million/85 scholarship players = $706k per player, per year.

We can take player pay discussion to a different thread so we don't take over this one, however.

• Enhance locked this topic
  • Mavric unpinned this topic