*** Matt Rhule Hired as New Husker Head Coach ***

Mavric

18 minutes ago, NewRhulerInTown said:

I found it a little peculiar the local media was shut out from this when news broke.  Does anyone think this was intentional? As in, a way for trev to send a message and perhaps chart a course of making Nebraska more of a national entity?  While I am new here, I do read and listen to most of the local reporters on the program (I’d argue we could do without half, if not more, or the writers that are assigned to Neb sports).

Just out of curiosity, what do you mean by 'shut out?' The fact that Rhule wasn't on any local broadcasts or radio programs doing interviews?

The reason I ask is because what happened in the local media circuit was pretty routine yesterday. University sent out a press release and provided some statements, and then set up a presser for the following days. So far as I can remember, they've never paraded a new coaching hire around the local media circuit the day of a hiring. That usually comes in the following days/weeks/months.

But yes yesterday was 100% intentional. Trev worked in the media so he's pretty savvy, and there was much to be gained from the national exposure yesterday vs. the local exposure, particularly with the transfer portal and signing period coming up.

• Plus1 2

19 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Just out of curiosity, what do you mean by 'shut out?' The fact that Rhule wasn't on any local broadcasts or radio programs doing interviews?

The reason I ask is because what happened in the local media circuit was pretty routine yesterday. University sent out a press release and provided some statements, and then set up a presser for the following days. So far as I can remember, they've never paraded a new coaching hire around the local media circuit the day of a hiring. That usually comes in the following days/weeks/months.

But yes yesterday was 100% intentional. Trev worked in the media so he's pretty savvy, and there was much to be gained from the national exposure yesterday vs. the local exposure, particularly with the transfer portal and signing period coming up.

Shut out as in none of the local reporters got the scoop and rather it was Ian rappaport/national guys with zero ties to us. I would just assume one of the local guys would be tipped off from the university to break the news for their split second of fame.

on a related note, the college gameday orchestration was such a classy move by all involved. Great press on a national stage 

21 hours ago, hunnit said:

He took this job because he knows it's a 95% chance it will also end with a multimillion dollar buyout. 

He is not doing it just for the money.  

Matt said one of the reasons he took the job is because he misses being a coach.  He misses teaching and helping athletes better themselves.  You don't get to this level and not have a very large ego.  He will want to also win so that this is not the last stop of being an HC at a major level in his career.  We have hit two lemons in a row, so it is easy to get into the mindset that everyone is looking for just a payday, but this is not the case.  Riley's career was pretty much over when we hired him so he really did not care at that point and Frost stopped caring half way through his tenure here, realizing he does not have the coaching chops at this level.  Penn St. Might be Matt's dream job or maybe he wants another crack at the NFL.  Either way he will need to win here to be a viable future candidate for both. And if he does move onto another HC job, his buyout will be greatly reduced.  It's win win. 

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, Rhuletheday said:

Matt said one of the reasons he took the job is because he misses being a coach.  He misses teaching and helping athletes better themselves.  You don't get to this level and not have a very large ego.  He will want to also win so that this is not the last stop of being an HC at a major level in his career.  We have hit two lemons in a row, so it is easy to get into the mindset that everyone is looking for just a payday, but this is not the case.  Riley's career was pretty much over when we hired him so he really did not care at that point and Frost stopped caring half way through his tenure here, realizing he does not have the coaching chops at this level.  Penn St. Might be Matt's dream job or maybe he wants another crack at the NFL.  Either way he will need to win here to be a viable future candidate for both. And if he does move onto another HC job, his buyout will be greatly reduced.  It's win win. 

YARN | We're doing it for a shitload of money! | Spaceballs (1987) | Video  gifs by quotes | 187f8594 | 紗

• Haha 3
6 minutes ago, Rhuletheday said:

I couldnt resist that, no there is no way he took this job just to potentially get a bigger pay day.  IF you want to say to me it was a way he could get alot of money while turning a program around to boost his stats to eventually go to Penn St then i would think you had something.  But he could be sitting on his a$$ making 40 mill just playing with his well you get the idea.

1 minute ago, TiredHuskerFanMWI said:

With Wisconsin dropping the hammer on us today, gotta say Trev and Nebraska were outclassed yet again.  You can't feel good about our hire now with the Fickell revelation. 

That's possible, but is that due to Fickell staying in the college game the past 3 years, and did some great stuff at Cincinnati, while Rhule flamed out after taking the NFL job?  If you ask me who was the better coach after 2019, I would say Rhule.  I think Fickell is a very good coach, and him going to Wisconsin is tough to take, but I don't know if it's certain that one coach is better than the other.

Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

That's possible, but is that due to Fickell staying in the college game the past 3 years, and did some great stuff at Cincinnati, while Rhule flamed out after taking the NFL job?  If you ask me who was the better coach after 2019, I would say Rhule.  I think Fickell is a very good coach, and him going to Wisconsin is tough to take, but I don't know if it's certain that one coach is better than the other.

I think Rhule is an easier target.  The first mishap and we'll be clowned yet again by the national takes.  Fickell just appears to be dialed in, razor focused, clean cut, and likeable.

1 minute ago, TiredHuskerFanMWI said:

I think Rhule is an easier target.  The first mishap and we'll be clowned yet again by the national takes.  Fickell just appears to be dialed in, razor focused, clean cut, and likeable.

Rhule has been everything but "clean cut" at Temple and Baylor.  Just because Rhule is dumpy and doughy, doesn't make him not as good as Fickell.  The results on the field will be what matters.

• TBH 2

Its like this is the chick we picked up to the bar and your questioning your decision as your walking her to the car.  You never know if shes going to be a psycho until you give it some time.  But this is the one you got so time to see where it goes, nothing you can do about it now.  Maybe more people are pissed about the money than everything.  Were paying 9 mil for a coach for a .500 record when we could of had fickel for 6mil with a much better resume.  Is that it.

• Mavric unpinned this topic