*** Matt Rhule Hired as New Husker Head Coach ***

Mavric

11 minutes ago, TiredHuskerFanMWI said:

With Wisconsin dropping the hammer on us today, gotta say Trev and Nebraska were outclassed yet again.  You can't feel good about our hire now with the Fickell revelation. 

8 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

Agreed. The hire of Rhule looks rather pedestrian and sad in comparison. 

That's why we play the games :). Plenty of coaches who did well in the G5 pooped their big boy pants when they made it to the Power 5. Everybody thought Scott Frost was going to dominate the Big 10 West.

We should all know better by now - offseason championships don't mean jack in the Big 10.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1

21 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

Its like this is the chick we picked up to the bar and your questioning your decision as your walking her to the car.  You never know if shes going to be a psycho until you give it some time.  But this is the one you got so time to see where it goes, nothing you can do about it now.  Maybe more people are pissed about the money than everything.  Were paying 9 mil for a coach for a .500 record when we could of had fickel for 6mil with a much better resume.  Is that it.

Fickell gets a ton of credit for getting Cincy to the CFP in 2021, not many coaches have been able to do that.  But, outside that year, I wouldn't say his resume is much better than Rhule.  Who knows what Rhule could have turned Baylor into from 2020-2022.  I would say Fickell's resume is better due to 2021, but not far and away better than Rhule.

EDIT:  If the CFP were around in 2017, Frost's UCF team would have made it, just like Cincy did last year.

EDIT to my original edit:  I was reminded that the CFP was around in 2017, but UCF wasn’t put anywhere in the top 10 of the rankings. 

• TBH 2
3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Fickell gets a ton of credit for getting Cincy to the CFP in 2021, not many coaches have been able to do that.  But, outside that year, I wouldn't say his resume is much better than Rhule.  Who knows what Rhule could have turned Baylor into from 2020-2022.  I would say Fickell's resume is better due to 2021, but not far and away better than Rhule.

Im not saying this is how i feel, im saying this seems like its the narrative around here with some posters.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Stone Cold said:

Im not saying this is how i feel, im saying this seems like its the narrative around here with some posters.

Sounds good, and a lot of people around Nebraska will think that way, especially given Rhule's salary and contract length.

The one thing about the Fickell hire, is that it could backfire very quickly if he's not successful.  If you think Mickey had a loyal fan base in Nebraska, I think Leohnard's is even higher in Wisconsin.

8 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

EDIT:  If the CFP were around in 2017, Frost's UCF team would have made it, just like Cincy did last year.

CFP was a thing UCF just got left out

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Stone Cold said:

Bc wasn't Luke Fickell Husker Fans top choice on who they wanted as the next head coach and to see him on a rival team now your like wow that's surprising and I'm not saying I feel this way either just understand how some Husker Fans are seeing it that way.

Just now, Huskerfollower4life said:

Bc wasn't Luke Fickell Husker Fans top choice on who they wanted as the next head coach and to see him on a rival team now your like wow that's surprising and I'm not saying I feel this way either just understand how some Husker Fans are seeing it that way.

It feels like a hammer blow simply because we have been a dumpster fire since Riley.  So that is the explanation.  

I like that others in here are trying to show another way to look at it.  I like their confidence and hope things will be good.

So, best of luck to Coach Rhule. Right now is likely as good as it’s going to get, because nothing other than a top 15 finish is going to satisfy the “best” fans in college football.

I think many of the candidates may have thought about this very issue.  Is it a shot at us?  Yes, is it deserved?  At least partially.  I think we act pretty entitled at times.  Maybe we didn't go home with the "prettiest girl" because she shot us down.  Maybe all of them did?  This is the same fan base that screamed from the mountain top to hire Scott Frost.  Scott Frost was a train wreck on so many fronts.  I am hopeful.  Why?  Because he is our coach.  I enter every season hopeful and optimistic.  I enter most Saturdays hopeful and optimistic.  Why?  Because I love the Huskers, not the coach, not the AD, but the team, the University and the block N.  Maybe a little reflection as a fanbase is needed.  

I am excited about the future!

12 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

For veracity, UCF was left out of the 2017 playoff. I don't think they ever made it into the Top 10 of the CFP rankings that year.

• Mavric unpinned this topic