*** Matt Rhule Hired as New Husker Head Coach ***

Mavric

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Pretty much this:

I can understand if people prefer Fickell to Rhule.  No issue with that.

But to say either is significantly better than the other is disingenuous.  And to say Rhule is a bad hire is just being willfully ignorant.

It's fair to say Rhule is way more proven in succeeding in circumstances like the ones we're currently facing than Fickell, IMO.

• Plus1 3

34 minutes ago, Rhuletheday said:

Fickell was also my first choice, but Matt will get the job done, for he knows P5 football.  Fickell on the other hand is going to have a learning curve. 

Will be fun to look back in 4-5 years and see who was better, culture matters as well. Wisconsin might be going through their identity issues now that we had after Bo left. 

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Well my brother said he was listening to 1620 and Mike 'L Severe this morning and said that our assistant pool money is also going to be around 9 million as well. If that is the case then I'm excited who the coaches Matt Rhule brings in. Nebraska isn't screwing around I like it.  Also Matt Rhule is the third highest coach in the Big 10 now. Ryan Day and Mel Tucker make 9.5 million.

If that's true, that's amazing!   That'll be new bar for assistant pools (I believe Bama is currently the high bar at 8.2M) and will make it much more feasible to give MJ that 1M annual he wants and get a good OC/DC and have room for other assistants.   I really hope that's the case.  I was thinking it would be in the 7M range.

9 minutes ago, sho said:

If that's true, that's amazing!   That'll be new bar for assistant pools (I believe Bama is currently the high bar at 8.2M) and will make it much more feasible to give MJ that 1M annual he wants and get a good OC/DC and have room for other assistants.   I really hope that's the case.  I was thinking it would be in the 7M range.

Well in order to compete against the best you have to pay. Even if it isn't 9 million and is 8 that would be awesome too. Nebraskan's all around are tired of losing.

17 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Damn how embarrassing. Imagine hiring Matt Rhule after lengthy discussions and analysis with a professional search firm, collegiate/NFL coaches, and incredibly knowledgeable people in the industry, when you instead could've just listened to Scott Shanle and HuskerPumper01 on Huskerboard!

OPE

:sarcasm

• Haha 5
8 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Well in order to compete against the best you have to pay. Even if it isn't 9 million and is 8 that would be awesome too. Nebraskan's all around are tired of losing.

Also, to compete against the best you have to recruit among the best. I will wait and see who he hires on his staff. If he hires not only developers and builders but also elite recruiters, along with Joseph, I will be more excited about this hire. I think he checks all the boxes except so far recruiting. If he only brings in good but not great classes, at best his teams will be as good as the five teams going to bowls this season, but no better. Let’s hope he hires heavy-hitting recruiters. 

I am ok with the Rhule hire and have been doing my best to point out the positives…..But, these would be the 3rd assistant coaches hr brought from Carolina…. If he is just going to bring buddies, I will struggle to stay as positive.  Football ptsd when a HC brings buddies. What happened to the DL coach from TaM

• Plus1 4
11 minutes ago, HANC said:

I am ok with the Rhule hire and have been doing my best to point out the positives…..But, these would be the 3rd assistant coaches hr brought from Carolina…. If he is just going to bring buddies, I will struggle to stay as positive.  Football ptsd when a HC brings buddies. What happened to the DL coach from TaM

Did you do your homework?  S&C coach & recruiting coordinator.  As important as OC & DC.  These 2 understand what type of player ruhle wants & develops.

15 minutes ago, HANC said:

So we all just want him to hire our buddies (Mickey) but not his buddies, right?

• Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 3
  • Mavric unpinned this topic