*** Matt Rhule Hired as New Husker Head Coach ***

Mavric

2 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

And look at how many players he had drafted between Temple and Baylor.  I’m guessing they are great developers first and recruiters second.  

Yes his success churning players into the NFL is commendable, particularly in his short time at Baylor. He also had quite a few of his recruits drafted in 2020 (the year after he left).

Rhule is definitely getting a lot of pub as a 'developer,' but I think there are a lot of reasons to like his recruiting potential. His composite average ranking at Baylor was 32 over three seasons, and he also had a number of other accomplishments while at Baylor including flipping a couple of four stars from Arkansas and Florida to Baylor. And remember, this was all while having to sit in parents' living rooms and convince people to come to Baylor in the midst of all their turmoil.

I have also seen multiple reports in recent days that his connections to Texas recruiting remain strong and he is highly respected/thought of in that state.

So, time will tell, but I think he's certainly capable of averaging recruiting rankings in the Top 25 range. That, in tandem with a good development program, should win you the west. And then the sky is the limit from there. I don't think anybody should discount recruiting potential at a place like Nebraska, particularly with the NIL opportunities.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, HANC said:

Yes, I hire people I trust and understand my philosophy. I have brought in many assistant coaches whom I know well. Frost brought his staff, after going undefeated… Rhule is going to bring people he knows, that isn’t the point. 

I understand your point. I just wouldn't worry too much about it. You referenced earlier the A&M DL coach, who is Elijah Robinson... a guy Rhule hired to work for him at Temple and then one year at Baylor. So, he may not be a 'Carolina' guy, but he'd definitely fall into the 'buddy' system.

All any of us can do is trust that Rhule puts the guys in place that he thinks gives them the best opportunity to win. I said the same thing with Frost in 2017. Obviously, that strategy didn't work out, but we also don't know if it would've gone any differently had he tried to comprise a staff of fewer UCF assistants.

44 minutes ago, Mavric said:

So we all just want him to hire our buddies (Mickey) but not his buddies, right?

I think the good thing about Rhule bringing in assistants that he has worked with before is that they have been through this kind of rebuild and know what needs to be done and how Matt wants things done- practices, recruiting, offense and defense meetings, etc.

they have experienced this before while I don't think th initial staff from the previous coach had a clue what they were getting into at Nebraska or the Big 10.

• TBH 1

3 minutes ago, NoKoolAidForME said:

Have to give it to Trev and Carter.  The interview occurred 6 weeks ago in Lincoln without anyones knowledge.  Heard Rhule and his wife met with Trev and his wife at Trev place.  They basically hung out at the house since they couldn’t go anywhere.  

Were you outside in the bushes?

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

NU fans wanted Mickey Joseph to be hired as the full-time head coach because the players and fans were familiar with him, but now don't want Rhule to hire coaches he is familiar with.

That's not the reason. 

The reason is because, unless he steals Hartline from Ohio State, whatever WR coach Rhule hires will be a worse recruiter and worse position coach than Mickey by almost any measure imaginable. 

• Haha 1

Temple only had seven players drafted in 17 years before Rhule got there and none in the first three rounds since 1996.

Since then:

2009 - Knighton was a 3rd round pick

2011 - Muhammad Wilkerson (1st) and Jaiquawn Jarrett (2nd)

2012 - Bernard Pierce (3rd), Evan Rodriguez (4th), Tahir Whitehead (5th)

2016 - Tavon Young (4th), Matt Ioannidis (5th), Tyler Matakevich (7th)

2017 - Haason Reddick (1st), Dion Dawkins (2nd), Nate Hairson (5th)

------ Players below wouldn't have played under Rhule but were recruited/coached by him

2018 - Jacob Martin (6th), Julian Taylor (7th)

2019 - Rock Ya-Sin (2nd), Ryquell Armstead (5th), Michael Dogbe (7th)

2020 - Matt Hennessy (3rd), Harrison Hand (5th), Shaun Bradley (6th), Chapelle Russell (7th)

16 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Temple only had seven players drafted in 17 years before Rhule got there and none in the first three rounds since 1996.

Since then:

2009 - Knighton was a 3rd round pick

2011 - Muhammad Wilkerson (1st) and Jaiquawn Jarrett (2nd)

2012 - Bernard Pierce (3rd), Evan Rodriguez (4th), Tahir Whitehead (5th)

2016 - Tavon Young (4th), Matt Ioannidis (5th), Tyler Matakevich (7th)

2017 - Haason Reddick (1st), Dion Dawkins (2nd), Nate Hairson (5th)

------ Players below wouldn't have played under Rhule but were recruited/coached by him

2018 - Jacob Martin (6th), Julian Taylor (7th)

2019 - Rock Ya-Sin (2nd), Ryquell Armstead (5th), Michael Dogbe (7th)

2020 - Matt Hennessy (3rd), Harrison Hand (5th), Shaun Bradley (6th), Chapelle Russell (7th)

And now Terrance Knighton is headed here 

To quell any buyers remorse with Rhule, lets take a closer look at Luke Fickell during his time at Cincinnati from 2017 to 2022.  Below are all of the P5 teams Luke played and their respective regular season records and game with Cincinnati outcome (decent teams in bold):

2017 Michigan (8-4) Lost 36-14

2018 UCLA (3-9) Won 26-17

2018 Virginia Tech (6-6) Won 35-31

2019 UCLA (4-8) Won 24-14

2019 Ohio State (12-0) Lost 42-0

2019 Boston College (6-6) Won 38-6

2020 Georgia (7-2) Lost 24-21

2021 Indiana (2-10) Won 38-24

2021 Notre Dame (11-1) Won 24-13

2021 Alabama (11-1) Lost 27-6

2022 Arkansas (6-6) Lost 31-24

2022 Indiana (4-8) Won 45-24

Notice a pattern?  The only win Luke had against a decent P5 team during his tenure at Cincinnati was 2021 Notre Dame who went on to lose to Oklahoma State in the Fiesta Bowl.  With now #18 ranked Tulane set to win the American Conference and 9-3 Cincinnati just dropping out of the top 25 after losing their last game to Tulane, it is a perfect time for Luke to abandon ship.  I don't think Bucky is getting what they think they are getting. 

giphy.gif

• Mavric unpinned this topic