*** Matt Rhule Hired as New Husker Head Coach ***

Mavric

6 minutes ago, deedsker said:

Did he just grab some really good talent nobody saw early at Cincy or did he develop players like no other? This last year is kind of a red flag that maybe Fickell isn’t the sure fire coaches he is being made out to be. 

Come on. His resume is outstanding. Three one score losses against a better-than-their-record Arkansas, #22 UCF and #18 Tulane (in the last game of the season where Fickell was surely distracted with contract negotiations). That's a really good season, don't let him going 44-7 in the previous four years work against him. 

Elite position coach and coordinator who worked under two elite head coaches and then has been almost only elite with his first real head opportunity at a G5.

• Plus1 1

12 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

Come on. His resume is outstanding. Three one score losses against a better-than-their-record Arkansas, #22 UCF and #18 Tulane (in the last game of the season where Fickell was surely distracted with contract negotiations). That's a really good season, don't let him going 44-7 in the previous four years work against him. 

Elite position coach and coordinator who worked under two elite head coaches and then has been almost only elite with his first real head opportunity at a G5.

Honestly, haven’t paid attention to Cincy since week 1. I thought Fickell was doing just fine at Cincy and only now did some digging. I am not saying he isn’t a good coach, but looking at this year more closely , it does make me more skeptical of him. 

The lasting memories I have of him is his trip to Lincoln where after Braxton got hurt, he didn’t have any answer to the question, how do I preserve this win with superior talent outside of QB. That and Joe Bausermann’s passing chart. That pic still gets used to this season.

10 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

What did he say or it doesn't matter he is too far gone himself?

Unsportsmanlike Conduct brought Shanle on to explain why he isn't in favor of Rhule.  Shanle spent 10 minutes rambling on a few things

• Heard it was Rhule a couple weeks ago from a friend in the NFL who didn't have much good to say about Rhule (so a 2nd hand negative experience)
  • Rhule's experience is as a slow, re-builder, and he wanted someone who could come in right away and win - Urban Meyer, or try to hire Lincoln Riley last year (both unrealistic IMO)
  • Rhule's salary is too high for someone with a .500 record in college and a failure in the NFL (could be a fair comment, but that's the market rate)
  • NU should have tried to hire Fickell for $6M (fair point, but no one know if Fickell was interested in the NU rebuild)
  • Finally, he said, if we are going to give 2-3 years to Rhule to turn things around, we should have just given the job to Mickey, because he's a former Husker player and would have been a lot cheaper (the show hosts finally got him to admit that he was mad that Mickey wasn't getting the full-time job, and going to have a bad taste about anyone else)

I don't think there is anything wrong with a dissenting opinion, but I think his complaints were more emotional than rational thought.

Here is a link to the show replays.  https://1620thezone.com/unsportsmanlike-conduct-radio-replay/  It was segment 6 on Nov. 29th.

• Plus1 4

9 hours ago, deedsker said:

Honestly, haven’t paid attention to Cincy since week 1. I thought Fickell was doing just fine at Cincy and only now did some digging. I am not saying he isn’t a good coach, but looking at this year more closely , it does make me more skeptical of him. 

The lasting memories I have of him is his trip to Lincoln where after Braxton got hurt, he didn’t have any answer to the question, how do I preserve this win with superior talent outside of QB. That and Joe Bausermann’s passing chart. That pic still gets used to this season.

My boss is a Cincy alum, still follows the team very closely. I was taunting him about Fickell coming to NU, and then we both shared equal disappointment about him going to Wiscy. We were discussing this year, and he was saying that they lost 26 contributors from last year's team. Every team has turnover obviously, but this seemed pretty significant, and might explain their "down" year.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Unsportsmanlike Conduct brought Shanle on to explain why he isn't in favor of Rhule.  Shanle spent 10 minutes rambling on a few things

• Heard it was Rhule a couple weeks ago from a friend in the NFL who didn't have much good to say about Rhule (so a 2nd hand negative experience)
  • Rhule's experience is as a slow, re-builder, and he wanted someone who could come in right away and win - Urban Meyer, or try to hire Lincoln Riley last year (both unrealistic IMO)
  • Rhule's salary is too high for someone with a .500 record in college and a failure in the NFL (could be a fair comment, but that's the market rate)
  • NU should have tried to hire Fickell for $6M (fair point, but no one know if Fickell was interested in the NU rebuild)
  • Finally, he said, if we are going to give 2-3 years to Rhule to turn things around, we should have just given the job to Mickey, because he's a former Husker player and would have been a lot cheaper (the show hosts finally got him to admit that he was mad that Mickey wasn't getting the full-time job, and going to have a bad taste about anyone else)

I don't think there is anything wrong with a dissenting opinion, but I think his complaints were more emotional than rational thought.

Here is a link to the show replays.  https://1620thezone.com/unsportsmanlike-conduct-radio-replay/  It was segment 6 on Nov. 29th.

So a really long winded way to say he is butt hurt. Got it.

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 2
13 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Scott is just a Cry baby!:D

What I didn't like was that his initial negativity was based on 2nd-hand information, while a number of former Huskers (Ameer, Mike Rucker, others) have come out with first-hand knowledge of playing for/working with Rhule and had positive experiences.  Like you said, it's Shanle being a cry-baby because the coach isn't a former Husker.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, AZRaiderH8r said:

My boss is a Cincy alum, still follows the team very closely. I was taunting him about Fickell coming to NU, and then we both shared equal disappointment about him going to Wiscy. We were discussing this year, and he was saying that they lost 26 contributors from last year's team. Every team has turnover obviously, but this seemed pretty significant, and might explain their "down" year.

In the next year or two there is going to be a lot of this turnover happening.  How many 5th and 6th year players did we go against this year. (in QBs alone)  Granted we have our fair share also, but the level of maturity within the College football ranks is going to return to normal soon.

• TBH 2
3 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The hosts just sitting in disbelief at his delusional thoughts was the best part

• TBH 1
  • Mavric unpinned this topic