*** Matt Rhule Hired as New Husker Head Coach ***

Mavric

Good interview with HCMR regarding what Nebraska has to offer recruits, why he wants 'His" guys on staff, and how they will build each player - from the walk on player to the 5 star player.  3 quotes below. 

https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/football/the-value-of-my-guys-as-assistant-coaches-nebraskas-matt-rhule-explains/article_0740415f-9c0f-50fb-8bd6-94422d18ccc2.html

The new Nebraska coach arrived at Memorial Stadium well before the sun rose Tuesday. He posted a picture to Twitter at 5:06 a.m. of the illuminated years of the Huskers’ five national championships. He dove into the endless tasks of hiring staffers and recruiting players all while learning a new place.

Rhule also took a break to record a podcast with a Fox Sports national NFL reporter. Over 20-plus minutes appearing on the “The Season with Peter Schrager,” the former Carolina Panthers coach touched on his time in the pros and stories from his career.

He began by marveling at where he is now.

“It’s outrageous here,” Rhule said. “I’m sitting in an office and facility that is nicer than any place I’ve ever been and it’s only here for like three more months before we move into our new $150 million facility. So no matter where you are in the country, if you’re really serious about training and you’re really serious about your body and sports science, if you’re serious about your academics, we have as much if not more than anyone else.”

Rhule has already begun hiring staffers, including a strength coach and at least half of his 10 on-field assistants. All have previously worked under Rhule, who is arriving at his fourth stop in 11 years as a head coach.

There’s a reason for that common theme, Rhule said. If he made mistakes in the NFL, one was hiring men for their experience but who “didn’t maybe always connect with me.” The thought is front of mind as he assembles his staff at Nebraska.

“I do things differently,” Rhule said. “I’m going to be a highly demanding guy. I want things done a certain way. I want us to serve players. The players don’t serve us, we serve the players. For me it’s about me identifying the right guys so it’ll be a lot of my guys that come, guys that trust me and believe in me.

“To be a player-development program you have to have coaches that love — love — helping players get better. I’m not just talking about your great players. I’m talking about who’s the strength coach that’s working with the walk-on that probably will never play? You know what? The walk-on that people thought would never play at Temple was (linebacker) Haason Reddick (an eventual first-round draft pick in 2017). If you just pour into young people and you help them they’ll have better lives and some will work out for you. My take has been, hey, if you come here we’re going to build something special. There’s no doubt we’ll win, but we’ll affect a lot of lives along the way. And the biggest thing is we get to do it our way here.”

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

6 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Good interview with HCMR regarding what Nebraska has to offer recruits, why he wants 'His" guys on staff, and how they will build each player - from the walk on player to the 5 star player.  3 quotes below. 

https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/football/the-value-of-my-guys-as-assistant-coaches-nebraskas-matt-rhule-explains/article_0740415f-9c0f-50fb-8bd6-94422d18ccc2.html

I was kind of curious on his thoughts about the new facility.  I bet Campbell shed a tear once he saw what he will be getting with the new weightroom being built. 

1 hour ago, runningblind said:

Can we use a different acronym for Rhule?  Seeing you post about HCMR gave me PTSD flashbacks.  :lol:

Yes, I didn't see that connect until now. We sure don't want another Mike Riley.  Rhule won't be - I am confident of that. 

Maybe just HCMATT

I'll say this.. Everything I see about Rhule indicates this was a tremendous hire. He is doing things at an exponentially more professional level than Frost ever did. He is grounded, has a plan, doesn't just say his plan but puts things into action to achieve the plan. While he may or may not be the savior the program needs, what I am certain of is that if he can not get it done, and I mean this... Nobody can get it done.

• Plus1 2
  • Mavric unpinned this topic