*** Matt Rhule Hired as New Husker Head Coach ***

Mavric

1 hour ago, Crusader Husker said:

Thread steal:

I get excited EVERY time the McRib comes out.  I get one then I am like, "WHAT, I used to love these, this sucks!"  Next time comes, rinse, and repeat!

This happened just last week:

I always get them, plus the extra for $1.00 or whatever it is. 

We were driving home from a Thanksgiving visit to my parents and got back into town and realized it was too late to make dinner at home so we were going to grab some Chinese.  I have one kid that refuses to eat Chinese but there is a McD's next door to the Panda Express near home.  I realized I hadn't had a McRib yet this year and the deal was coming to an end, so I opted to have the McRib instead of Panda Express.

One bite into dinner, I remembered I'd prefer the Chinese...

But I'm already salivating at eating more McRibs next year!

4 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

huge numbers of us said the same thing about frost. it wasn't true then and it's not true now

Exactly. It's the same business with all the people who think Nebraska is 'cursed.'

No, they're not. Just like the Cubs weren't cursed for 100 years. Get the right people in place and a lot of good things can happen fast.

• Plus1 2
31 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Exactly. It's the same business with all the people who think Nebraska is 'cursed.'

No, they're not. Just like the Cubs weren't cursed for 100 years. Get the right people in place and a lot of good things can happen fast.

For the record, I don’t actually think we’re cursed. It’s just handy and fun to blame the bad stuff on “the curse”.  I don’t want to be lumped in with “those” people. :lol:

• Haha 1

Five years ago all the evidence said Scott Frost was doing everything right.

Hindsight is a b!^@h. Ignoring the part where he lost a ton of games, I'm trying to remember the first clear-eyed indicators that Scott wasn't doing his job very well.  IIRC, we were even pleased he got his coaching staff buddies to follow him to Nebraska, presuming familiarity and that UCF/Nebraska halo trumped more experienced and expensive big name hires. 

I think Matt Rhule is a lot more of a grown up than Scott Frost, and that's going to make a big difference. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 2
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Five years ago all the evidence said Scott Frost was doing everything right.

Hindsight is a b!^@h. Ignoring the part where he lost a ton of games, I'm trying to remember the first clear-eyed indicators that Scott wasn't doing his job very well.  IIRC, we were even pleased he got his coaching staff buddies to follow him to Nebraska, presuming familiarity and that UCF/Nebraska halo trumped more experienced and expensive big name hires. 

I think Matt Rhule is a lot more of a grown up than Scott Frost, and that's going to make a big difference. 

I also think that a huge difference will be the experience coaching in higher level conferences vs. what Frosts staff had. I think they were at a huge disadvantage having so little experience coaching in and against P5 conferences

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I'm trying to remember the first clear-eyed indicators that Scott wasn't doing his job very well.  

He showed a clear lack of professionalism when he showed up to his first big boy presser with a giant chaw in his mouth. He should have been talked to about it at the time. That he wasn't should have been a red flag to the entire state that Frat Party 2018-2022 was going to be our program's worst freefall.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
7 minutes ago, Gorillahawk said:

I also think that a huge difference will be the experience coaching in higher level conferences vs. what Frosts staff had. I think they were at a huge disadvantage having so little experience coaching in and against P5 conferences

If I'm not mistaken, Temple doesn't qualify so only Baylor would....so I'm not sure the advantage is that "huge".

And yeah, Baylor is P5, but it's B12.....

• Plus1 1
29 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

He showed a clear lack of professionalism when he showed up to his first big boy presser with a giant chaw in his mouth. He should have been talked to about it at the time. That he wasn't should have been a red flag to the entire state that Frat Party 2018-2022 was going to be our program's worst freefall.

Infatuation messes with judgement that's for sure!

1 hour ago, Husker03 said:

Not tackling at the spring game and during practice should have been the biggest red flag of all.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
3 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

Not tackling at the spring game and during practice should have been the biggest red flag of all.

Practices should be demanding. More difficult than the game. At least to the extent that can be achieved. Diverse scenarios. There are ways to making it as challenging as possible for both defense and offense. Get creative about it. Interleaving, spaced repetitions. Get to know the players and how each learns individual to them. The coaches are responsible for developing a culture by seeking out the right players for the team and demonstrating what is required by their own actions. Indications are that much of this was missing or lacking. 

2 hours ago, Husker03 said:

Before concerning yourself with the size of Frost's chaw I'd probably wait and see what Rhule does.

Nebraska is not an easy gig.

Now party on Wayne.

1 hour ago, TheSker said:

Before concerning yourself with the size of Frost's chaw I'd probably wait and see what Rhule does.

Nebraska is not an easy gig.

Now party on Wayne.

Rhule is more professional than Frost. Period. That much is already clear.

And frankly anything Rhule does or doesn't do has absolutely zero bearing on Frosts lack of professionalism.

15 hours ago, funhusker said:

This happened just last week:

I always get them, plus the extra for $1.00 or whatever it is. 

We were driving home from a Thanksgiving visit to my parents and got back into town and realized it was too late to make dinner at home so we were going to grab some Chinese.  I have one kid that refuses to eat Chinese but there is a McD's next door to the Panda Express near home.  I realized I hadn't had a McRib yet this year and the deal was coming to an end, so I opted to have the McRib instead of Panda Express.

One bite into dinner, I remembered I'd prefer the Chinese...

But I'm already salivating at eating more McRibs next year!

word is this is the last year...  better go get another...

• Mavric unpinned this topic