*** Matt Rhule Hired as New Husker Head Coach ***

Mavric

College football is cyclical. Maybe we are witnessing the tipping point where offensive lines have become soo massive that the best counter is speed and endurance. I tend to think this is why smaller schools, have been able to have greater success against the BIG offensive lines. Their dines couldn't hold up in a tug of war contest, but are able to get under, around, and trough ginormous olines.

• Fire 1
On 12/12/2022 at 9:59 AM, Born N Bled Red said:

College football is cyclical. Maybe we are witnessing the tipping point where offensive lines have become soo massive that the best counter is speed and endurance. I tend to think this is why smaller schools, have been able to have greater success against the BIG offensive lines. Their dines couldn't hold up in a tug of war contest, but are able to get under, around, and trough ginormous olines.

I agree, although I think any philosophy or approach is ultimately capable of being exposed and often comes down to how physical you are at the point of attack. That's one thing I'm seeing in those clips from M.A. above (particularly the ones with PSU's line "quitting.") Temple had PSU's o-line all sorts of confused schematically and then they were really getting after them at the point of attack.

And it's something that has me hopeful for the future. It's been awhile since we've seen offensive and defensive lines at Nebraska do those things consistently.

• Plus1 2
On 12/12/2022 at 10:59 AM, Born N Bled Red said:

NU DL during the hey day of the 90's had the majority of guys under 300 lbs.  Faster and meaner than the oppossing OL's they went up against. The old axiom "speed kills" still holds true. I don't think we can have 245 lbs DL bang week in and week out against B1G OL, but I do think we can get guys who give up 15-20 lbs (maybe a little more) and do well.  If they are taught how to exploit the "slower" OL.

• Mavric unpinned this topic