*** Matt Rhule Hired as New Husker Head Coach ***

Mavric

I imagine TO is encouraged by this hire with Rhule emphasizing in-state recruiting and concentrating on being the toughest in the trenches. TO use to recruit a lot instate players who where successful for N, especially OLs. The Huskers had their share of instate all-Americans, some who where walk-ons. 

10 hours ago, Pedro G said:

I imagine TO is encouraged by this hire with Rhule emphasizing in-state recruiting and concentrating on being the toughest in the trenches. TO use to recruit a lot instate players who where successful for N, especially OLs. The Huskers had their share of instate all-Americans, some who where walk-ons. 

It's great that Rhule is targeting local kids, but as others have stated, it's a totally different era than what TO had.  TO had more scholarships available.  The cost of in-state tuition was still relatively affordable, so kids could have a better chance of paying for college without needing a scholarship.  The schools in the Dakotas and other surrounding areas were D-2, so area kids didn't have much other options if they wanted the status of "playing D-1 football".  Kids who would walk-on and just practice for 2-3 years before earning playing time and getting scholarships are now going to other schools.  I really wish we could get beyond the point of bringing up how things were done under TO.

• Plus1 6

2 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Yep. I’ll take those results any day but how he got those results is completely irrelevant in today’s landscape.

My main interest is Rhule finding great local talent and keeping it here and developing it. He could have done even better if players such as Flores weren’t  ignored by the previous staff. 

2 hours ago, Pedro G said:

My main interest is Rhule finding great local talent and keeping it here and developing it. He could have done even better if players such as Flores weren’t  ignored by the previous staff. 

I’m not too worried about Rhule’s ability in that regard. The way he won over TX high school coaches and players leads me to believe he’ll do just fine acquiring any of the local talent he wants. Other than that I don’t care where the players come from. Nebraska doesn’t typically have a plethora of local talent.

There is a fine line between offering local talent and offering local kids whom people think are talented. It will be walking a fine line in deciding who is worth taking bc they can make an impact in your program and who you should take to keep the local hs coaches happy, thus keeping the pipeline open. In TX, it was easy because there is so much talent there. 

12 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Since posting Zillow listings for recent NU coaches seems to be the thing, here is Rhule’s home for his family.  https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/10260-Waverly-Rd-Lincoln-NE-68517/333173270_zpid/?utm_campaign=iosappmessage&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=txtshare

Nice place. You couldn’t get half that much house around here for 1.9

• Mavric unpinned this topic