*** Matt Rhule Hired as New Husker Head Coach ***

Mavric

58 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I have mixed thoughts on the amount of media availability at practices.  While I think it's great how much the media covers the football team, I don't think it's a big deal when coaches close practice to media availability.  This is not like when Tom Osborne was coaching and there were a handful of media guys at practice.  There is a lot more "credentialed" media who cover NU football now.  I don't think they need to have full access to practices.  It just creates a slippery slope, plus coaches and players may be worried about what the media is going to think or put out in press after watching practice all the time.

Tom did not have worry about social media like today. Coaches, HS players & the press are all different animals.  I would not be surprised to see the media have very limited access.

• Plus1 1

11 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Well certain former coaches preferred not to have the media there to watch as well.  So I guess what Im asking is will the media have more availability to attend and watch practices or just occasionally?  My hope is that the media has the same availability as the high school coaches to attend pratices.

My hope is that the media has zero access to practices. The problem with that is they will start to fabricate their own inaccurate stories. But honestly, I don’t think we’re getting much useful whether or not they have access. All I need to know (other than injury status) I can glean with my own eyes on Saturdays. The rest is just fluff and filler.

• Plus1 2

Good article by Sam McKewon on future roster sizes.  Seems like a roster reduction wouldn't be driven by Rhule's thoughts on roster size, but by Trev trying to be more Title IX compliant.

https://huskerextra.com/news/basketball/mckewon-nebraska-is-reducing-the-size-of-its-walk-on-program-and-that-s-ok/article_e798eed6-ab24-11ed-b9bd-ff0075f0aba2.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

• Plus1 1

On 2/3/2023 at 10:10 AM, 84HuskerLaw said:

Also, Carolina is arguing, effectively, that Neb FB is equal in status to their NFL team. Hardly makes sense. Rhule took a step down but somehow he should be paid the same. It seems to me the Neb job, after 5 straight losing seasons, is way below the NFL job. We probably paid him too much, not too little, if anything.  

Maybe. But the landscape also says the four highest paid college football coaches make more than Andy Reid. 

Kirk Ferentz makes a million more a year at Iowa than Zac Taylor does with the Bengals. 

• Plus1 2

Kirk F  coaching many many years.  At Iowa. Rhule is a new hire at a struggling school two months after being fired for poor coaching. Getting 80 or 90% of what he was is, imo, amazingly high.  Many coaches who have more winning seasons and better schools/teams on their resumes get less. 

I think Carolina is lucky Neb was there.  A handful of college jobs might be somewhat comparable to an NFL job but darn few. Bama. USC, ND, MI, GA ?   Neb maybe 20 years ago

would have been a top tier - maybe. Imo. Most coaches would say NFL jobs are a couple steps up from the best colleges. 

• Mavric unpinned this topic